Suspension Lift Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
Considering instaling a Lift Kit. I am fairly mechanically inclined (as long as there aint alot of troubleshooting involved....when it comes to that I am like the kid at the Ford place, I just start replacing parts til it runs right! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I mean, I built my own house, I maintain Offshore Oil and Gas Platforms.....I should be able to install a lift kit right???

What tools are necessary besides the basics?

Any specific things to look out for?

Thanks!

Yardape

Reaction score
You shouldnt have any trouble, the hardest part will be removing the old hardware, depending on your lift you might need extended brake lines, and new shocks. Some kits come with everything, some dont. The best one to talk to on here for a lift is ******. he just bought a lift and tires and had them installed a few weeks ago

OP
OP
M

MississippiSlim

Reaction score
Yeh, defintely replacing brake lines and shocks witht he lift. I got a brake line that is collapsing on me anyway...

I was reading over some online instructions for installation and it doesn't seem to difficult. One question they say to air chisel or torch out the old rivets...could I wonder could you drill them out?? I am out of Map Gas right now and don't have a air chisel...Oh well we will see!

Yardape

Reaction score
Drilling would take a whole lot of work, grinding the heads off would be the best way to go I'd say.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
SLim, I was recently working on installing a 6" Skyjacker lift on a 83 Bronco, and have done a few others, including my 84 before the SAS. As stated, the "hard" part is removing the old hardware. I'll run down the basics, and anyone else can add their input.

Front TTB axle:

Remove the wheels and place jackstands under the frame rails, put blocks behind and in front of the rear tires. USe a floor jack to support one axle beam, let it drop as far as it can without pulling the brake lines out. You can undo the clips holding the lines to the coil towers, or disconnect the banjo fitting on the caliper if changing to steel braided lines. put a block or another jack under the other side beam to support it.

Disconnect the front driveshaft at the axle yoke, tape up the u-joint so the caps don't fall off. Tie the shaft up and out of the way. Remove the front sway bar from the axle end links and the frame mounts. Unbolt the steering linkage at the Pitman arm, and use a puller to remove it. Some go easy, others need heat to help get loose. Soak liberally with a penetrating oil. Unbolt the shock(s), upper coil spring retainer, lower nut and wsher, and pull out the coil. If you let the suspension drop all the way down, there will be no pressure on the coil. It's still a good safety measure to wrap a chain around it and the frame. Loosen the nut on the back of the radius arm at the frame bracket. remove the axle pivot bolt, then do the same for the other side. The TTB axle beams are now "free", and should be supported on two floor jacks, or at least blocks. Some of the radius arm frame brackets are bolted on one side and have rivets on the other. I use a hand-held 4.5" grinder to remove the head, then try hitting it with a large punch and hammer/ small 2# sledge. if the rivets don't move, drill a 1/4" hole thru thwm and try again. Watch for fuel lines on the inside of the driver's frame rail. Unbolt the axle pivot bracket on the passenger side of the engine crossmember, and install the new drop bracket. On the driver's side, some kits use a new bracket that bolts into the stokc hole, and you drill 2 new holes in the crossmember. The SkyJ kit requires removing the factory mount by grinding the 6 rivets. Be careful of the oil pan, place a board or backstop on top of the x-member when drilling. If you are installing extended radius arms, you will need to remove the upper and lower radius arms nuts on the axle beams. These are torqued to about 250-300 ft-lbs, with Loctite from the factory, so a nroaml impact gun will not touch them. I use a long cheater bar and 3/4" drive breakover, with a 6-pt 1-1/8" socket. The upper stud needs a extra-long /deep socket to remove it, or use a good boxend wrench with a cheater. Bolt the axle pivot bolts into the new brackets, using a punch to help align the bolt in each hole. Two jacks work well to get the right leverage and push the axle end up into the bracket. Use red Loctite on all of the bolts for the drop brackets, the axle pivot bolts, coil spring, radius arm bolts, etc. per instructions. Get everything bolted up first, then go back and torque to specs. This may take 6 hours or 2-3 days, depending on how stubborn the original bolts are. You can use heat to help melt the factory loctite and loosen the rust, if you have a small torch. I normally drill out the bracket holes to fit a 1/2" GRADE8* bolt and hardware, so there is no slop in any of the bracket bolts.

Rear axle:

Remove tires, block the front wheels. Remove the shocks and rear sway bar. Support the axle with a floor jack, remove the 4 u-bolts holding the leaf springs tothe axle. Insert your block under the springs, and install the new u-bolts. NEVER re-use old u-bolts. IF you're replacing the leaf srpings, un-bolt them from the hangers and isntall the new ones. Takes 1-2 hours for the rear axle, unless you have stubborn bolts. You may need to re-rout the hrad brake lines, or ned the clip on top of the difffernetial housing, so theres no binding.

Front-end alignment - needs to be done by a pro or shop. May need new, adjustable camber bushings. Labor is noramlly $100-150. LAbor for the lift install is from $450-$600 in my area ( Houston, TX), and is worth every cent if you don't have air tools, a floor jack, and a few buddies to help you. JSM84

Yardape

Reaction score
That pretty much covers it, the only thing I can add is be careful with the nuts at the end of the radius arms, They break off super easy, If your re-using your radius arms you will be in trouble if you break on of these. I have broken many, so be warned and be careful. **** the **** out of it with a good penetrating oil, I even use a wire wheel on my drill and clean up the exposed threads to make it easier to remove. Heat is your friend, just try not to set your truck on fire. The only other word of advice, you MUST go over every bolt you put in and re-torque them after approx 500 miles or so. Very important, I know of a few close calls from my friends who decided they tightened the bolts enough the first time, one guy argued me that his would be fine, We went under his truck and almost all were loose. I have even read on here about all the people that have experienced this. Good Luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23