Stupid Wiring Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don73

Reaction score
Stupid question - I just replaced the battery and found the negative terminal on the new battery too far away for the existing cable. It was a shorter drive to Autozone than to Sears so I just bought a longer cable. When replacing I found a braided wire grounded along with the battery cable, but it isn't connected to anything. Should it be?

Thanks for any help,

Don

Seabronc

Reaction score
If it's a small braded wire, it is usually attached to the body to provide a ground for lights, etc. Normally there is a large cable from the battery to the engine block and a small one from an intake manafold bolt to the firewall. The large one is to provide a high current ground for the starter. The small one continues the grounding to the body to make sure you get a good ground there.

:)>-

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I remember having the same flat ground cable disconnected from the body. The bolt had fallen out of the firewall side but was still connected to the engine. I reconnected it and the engine seemed to run better... :blink: I went to my buddies house where his engine has always had a misfire. We added a ground strap (body to engine) and it now runs great. So I am now a firm beliver in good grounds. b-(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls