Ignition switch wiring location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncini

Reaction score
I’m currently working on an 81 Bronco with a 400m motor in it. The wiring has been bastardised by not just one person to say the least.
I started looking at the wiring after I burnt about my fifth coil and it seemed like there was a short or something when the battery is connected because of the quite heavy sparking. Since I have replaced my starter solenoid and am trying to figure out this wiring mess.

At the moment I am trying to identify my start circuit wires starting with the wires for the run and start circuits. I’m looking behind down the steering rack, I can see the indicator wires and ****** wires and such, but not the ignition switch wires. Can anyone help me locate them please.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Broncini,
Welcome to our Bronco site!

Here's some information for you:

➡ 1981 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM), partial via Gary @ 1981 EVTM - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

See;

1981 Bronco Brochure - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Fasteners by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Carburetors, Chokes & EFI by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Specifications by Gary @ Axle Ratios - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

Differences in 1980-1986 Bronco/F Series by Gary

1980/1981 Light Truck Roadability Diagnosis Guide @ 1980 Light Truck Roadability Diagnosis Guide

EEC III Testing, if not removed or disabled by a previous owner or shop via Wayback Machine by Tommy

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom!

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

1981 Bronco Advertisement @ Ads0002.jpg

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
Includes good stuff such as Tailgate Tech!

See my mostly recovered site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO
It contains boo-koo component repairs, installation & parts sources.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 50 non- padded posts to buy or sell due to scammers who preyed on our members.

See How to add your 81s Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to:
Use Search, Post pics, How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts, How To Search The Site,
What is the Difference Between the Showcase and Gallery?
and more tips!

Find some time to participate and VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to the winner!; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted. Also, a years worth of premium FSB membership.

Al

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230322-080322_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230322-080322_Chrome.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the wiring diagrams from the link Miesk posted.

If you have the ability to print them that works best. You can mark them up, take them with you in the shop.

Attachments

• 81 wiring.pdf
    728.9 KB · Views: 4

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo