stock y-pipe questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I have a simple question that perhaps someone can answer. What is the tubing size/ diameter of the stock y-pipe for the 84 351W H.O. on my Bronco? I'm hoping to be able to re-use it on my 460, since I cut the exhaust off it to pull the motor, and the exhaust pipe ends and flanges wre badly warped. It looks like the 460 exhaust is 2-1/2" from the manifolds, so I'm hoping the 351W y-pipe is the same, JSM84

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a simple question that perhaps someone can answer. What is the tubing size/ diameter of the stock y-pipe for the 84 351W H.O. on my Bronco? I'm hoping to be able to re-use it on my 460, since I cut the exhaust off it to pull the motor, and the exhaust pipe ends and flanges wre badly warped. It looks like the 460 exhaust is 2-1/2" from the manifolds, so I'm hoping the 351W y-pipe is the same, JSM84
YO R!

I did a quickie search & found;

Felpro Exhaust Pipe Gasket

1967-1984 Ford Bronco"FELPRO EXHAUST PIPE ****** GASKET -- 2-1/32 Internal Diameter - 2-1/2" Outside Diameter, High Quality, Direct Fit Replacement Gasket, Use With Bolt Prep Gra2"

in Walker Exhaust & Maremont - found only outlet diameter.. both are the same,

DISTANCE BETWEEN INLET 21-7/8

INLET ID Flare | Flare

LENGTH 29

OUTLET ID 2-1/4 OD

Strange that nopne of the other exhaust sources don't show sizes either.. went thru my entire List in my parts section.

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Thanks, M! I finally found the y-pipe out in the barn today. On the 84 351W H.O., the ****** is 2-1/2" but the tubing is 2" from each side. After the "Y" is when it goes to 2-1/2" thru the cat and the muffler. It still might fit the 460 manifolds, but Im' afraid the tubing is gonna be too small for my needs, JSM84

OP
OP
J

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Checked the fit of the stock y-pipe on the 460, and no soap. While the stock manifolds on both the 351W and 460 look to dump in the same places, they don't and the angle is not the same. I cut the ends off the 351W y-pipe, and welded on some short pieces of the larger 460 flanges to mock up a y-pipe for me to build or take to a muffler shop. I alos had to modify the passngr-side tube, changing the angle on it. The stock 460 exhaust uses two separate 2-1/2" pipes that run along the passngr side to the cat. Not only is this section quite heavy (50-60 lbs), it also runs UNDER the tranny crossmember. By making a custom y-pipe, I can route the exhaust above the crossmember and out of harm's way. Will update with pics when I get this done, JSM84

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23