Starting Problem/ignition Switch Or **** Switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

artdude

Reaction score
HI iam new here i hope someone can help , ok heres the thing i have a 90 bronco full size , under the dash is a **** switch, i put the key in to start , turn on **** switch (it will beep) turn key to start , key will not go to last position of start, its like its welded. had a lock smith check it out, key ignition part is fine he thinks the problem is down below in steering column. any ideas?? -artdude-

Seabronc

Reaction score
I assume that it doesn't attempt to start. You might want to look at the actual start switch which is on th top of the column under the dash. A long rod goes down from the key switch to the actual start/run switch. Sounds like something is blocking it or the switch on the column may have come loose and out of adjustment.

Good luck,

:)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
P.S. Welcome to the zone
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' /> . Don't [-X forget to upload some pictures of your truck B) .

Good luck,

Seabronc

Reaction score
P.S.S.

The rod from the keyswitch to the column switch has been known to break. Do other positions seem to work?

Good luck,

OP
OP
A

artdude

Reaction score
thanks for your help, is it very hard todo ? iam 6'2 very hard to get under there:) , or iam i better off having a real mechanic do it:) and do you think this will cost alot? i just put alot of $ in to it already hate to sink alot more , and i'll try to send some pics soon , thanks again -artdude-

OP
OP
A

artdude

Reaction score
yup can turn key both ways , just not the last part (start). -artdude-

Seabronc

Reaction score
By not going into the last position, I assume you mean that if you are looking at the key switch you can't get it into the spot that says start :unsure: .

You should be able to see :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> the switch by removing the shroud under the steering column.

If you take it to a Ford garage, they may have seen it dozens of times and the less time spent diagnosing the problem the less it will cost, even if their hourly rate :(( is a little above that of a garage mechanic. Then again that also depends on the garage mechanic ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

Good luck,

OP
OP
A

artdude

Reaction score
thanks so much, i'll prob bring it to ford, have them work on it , and tell them the problem , i put alot $ into already whats a few more dollars right @-) last winter no truck, not this time [-(

-artdude-

tagto138

Reaction score
a friend of mine just had the same problem on a 92 (although self induced by the use of a screwdriver as a key). he said it was a major pain in the a@$ to replace the rod, (most likely cause) and I'm not as tall as you but close and i would reccomend ford if they don't charge and arm and a leg. the dealership by me wanted a $70+ for an ignition lock and would have my truck all day. advance has them for $15 and it took 5 minutes(different key then in the door now though).

OP
OP
A

artdude

Reaction score
thanks for the info tagto138, iam going take a look at it today :unsure: but most likely its going to ford. -artdude-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula