Speedometer Cable 1985 Automatic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgrden

Reaction score
In my trek to put my beloved Bronco back in operating condition it will be necessary to be ab le to see how fast this guy will go. Well it is not possible to know this because the needle is not moving. The top cable has been replaced and the needle still will not tell me how fast we are going. Crawling under the rig we see a loose cable. Trying to ***** it in does not work. There is something missing, Can you help me determine what it is? 

/emoticons/default_whistle.gif

P8230166.JPG

P8230167.JPG

P8230168.JPG

YUmaDune

Reaction score
I believe you have the wrong cable to begin with..where you are showing is the clamp that holds the cable into the transfer case. Take that bolt out and the end of the cable should come out.  It will have the driven gear in the end of the cable.  This should show you what the end of the cable should look like..

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

Cable Replacement & Depiction at Speedometer Head in an 85; MIESK5 NOTE; Some Speedo ends (at Speedo) are held on by a plastic clip: place Index finger on Metal Tube & thumb on plastic ring flat surface; Press Flat Surface of clip & Pull Cable from Speedo (Ford calls the speedo end the Head); or screwed on: Turn the cable end counterclockwise to disconnect. You may need an open end wrench. This is by Chilton for an 85 Bronco; "...1.Remove the instrument cluster as previously described. Remove the lens and the mask from the cluster. 3.Disconnect the speedometer cable. 4.Remove the speedometer attaching screws and remove the unit. To install: 5.Position the speedometer to the pack plate and install the two attaching screws. 6.Examine the square drive hole for sufficient lubrication. If required, apply a 3/16 inch dab of lubricant (B5AZ-19581-A or equivalent) in the drive hole. 7.Reconnect the speedometer cable..."

Source: by Chilton

Gear Color Codes, 80 and up

100_3393.jpg

Source: by JBG via Seabronc (Rosie, Fred W)

Gear Change in a 90 (in Xfer Case Tail Housing)

Source: by Keith L (TTB Blows, Bling-Bling)

http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/139/13464

Here are significant pics and info by Keith;

speedogear3.jpg

"The speedo gear is retained by a c-clip, visible just under my fingers here"

speedogear4.jpg

"Here it is with the speedo gear removed. Assembly is the reverse. You do NOT need to change the drive gear in the t-case"

OP
OP
J

Jgrden

Reaction score
That cable has two lines running from it. Mine has only one and does not look like it is the right cable. Thank you for this information. 

Seabronc

Reaction score
In an 85, If you have cruise control, the correct hookup requires two cables end to end with a lolipopspeed sensor in between. The top cable is short and is designed to insert into one end of the lolipop speed sensor and the longer cable goes from the speed sensor to the tranny.  The second cable shown in the above pictures is from a later system that has the speed sensor at the end where the cable is inserted into the tranny.

If you don't have cruise control then the correct cable is one piece with a ***** on connector at the Odometer end and the other end is designed for the speedo gear and inserts into the tranny.  The bolt at the tranny end holde the bracket on the end of the cable so the cable won't fall out.

http://lmctruck.com/icatalog/FD/full.aspx?page=37

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
J

Jgrden

Reaction score
Thank you. Mine has, or had, cruise control. It is the double cable system so I will now search for that replacement. This has helped me figure this out and has saved buying the wrong cable, as I am sure would have happened. 

Seabronc

Reaction score
Thank you. Mine has, or had, cruise control. It is the double cable system so I will now search for that replacement. This has helped me figure this out and has saved buying the wrong cable, as I am sure would have happened. 
Check out the link in my last post

correction on the no cruise control cable the Odometer end has a snap in connector.  Also, if you are not going to restore cruise control you can use the cable for no factory cruise control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23