1989 351W Rebuild For 1985 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motoxman56

Reaction score
I am
I’m need of a 351W for my 1985 Bronco 351W. The one I removed was Frozen and cylinders would not clean up after doing a test bore. I am interested in one I found that I would be rebuilding it has 122,000 on it. I would not be using the Fuel Injection or intake. Is this motor doable changing it over to carburetor and standard intake? I will also be changing out the heads and intake to ** and 4BBL Oil Pan etc. etc.. One thing I like is it came out of an Econoline Van. And has all the accessories for serpentine belt system and Saginaw PS Pump that’s a plus. I probably know the answer but want to know who has done this already and any tips! Just FYI I will be doing complete rebuild cam, pistons, bore, deck, balance etc.
Thanks! motoxman

Motech

Reaction score
Being in SoCal with enhanced smog testing, an 85 Bronco will likely be singled out for Star Station Directed, and those guys are damn near impossible to bribe. My input is keep the EFI purely for emissions compliance.

I have dumped EFI for carburetor several times, but compliance was not an issue. Most notable, two 1982 Corvettes, the last C3 and first with Cross Fire injection, the L83 produced an anemic 200 HP. In those cases, carburetor was a big improvement over that lame (but cool) setup.

One we swapped out a 220 HP L82 with upgraded cam, roller rockers in smaller chamber, Vortec cyl heads, a Holley 4160 series list 3310-3 750 cfm honker and a sweet set of full length ceramic coated Hedman headers. Output was calculated just shy of 400 HP, and over 400 lb/ft of torque, a HUGE improvement!

The other went way off the hook with a custom built 383 running dual quad Carter AFB and a slick pair of tri-y headers. This thing pulled like a locomotive, and he did have it dyno'd with rear wheel HP peaking over 420 and torque near 500. These were real memorable projects.

The only EFI to carb build on a Ford was the notorious 1992 F150 Flareside Special Edition in that 92 only pink color. Remember that one?

IMG_4424-01.jpeg

I did not participate in this swap, just offered my input. Owner was converting to carbureted 460. I advised against it because of all the compromise necessary, like loss of E4OD electronic controls that would necessitate transmission swap, loss of RWABS, cruise control, and not to even mention emissions compliance nightmares. Told them they should reconsider and install an EFI 460 instead, which would retain all the above compromised features and still be emissions compliant without even a referee sticker.

But noooo... They went with their I'll conceived conversion, and I'm glad that I wasn't involved with it because it was just a hot mess.

That's all.

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I am
I’m need of a 351W for my 1985 Bronco 351W. The one I removed was Frozen and cylinders would not clean up after doing a test bore. I am interested in one I found that I would be rebuilding it has 122,000 on it. I would not be using the Fuel Injection or intake. Is this motor doable changing it over to carburetor and standard intake? I will also be changing out the heads and intake to ** and 4BBL Oil Pan etc. etc.. One thing I like is it came out of an Econoline Van. And has all the accessories for serpentine belt system and Saginaw PS Pump that’s a plus. I probably know the answer but want to know who has done this already and any tips! Just FYI I will be doing complete rebuild cam, pistons, bore, deck, balance etc.
Thanks! motoxman
Why don,t you put new sleeves in it?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
We did a test bore .060 over which is more than I want to go on worst cylinder it didn’t clean up….
Well that is way to high for no more work to be done. He could buy a complete new motor. I wouldn,t have you work on my motor.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well that is way to high for no more work to be done. He could buy a complete new motor. I wouldn,t have you work on my motor.
I thought you was the shop hahaha look around and see what other places charge. You can find a complete motor off of people. So look around. Good luck.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno