Spare tire carrier damage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotorBaby

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I got a '93 Bronc (named Bradley) last January. The interior was/is immaculate but the exterior needed a little TLC. Hubby (the other guy in my life) finally gave me the green light to get him painted with one stipulation: I have to find some way to keep the spare tire carrier from extending all the way and causing damage to the rear quarterpanel (again). It was damaged when I got the truck and I'm going to have it repaired when I get him painted. Anyone know of any way to keep that from happening again? Please hurry, for I'm ready to make Bradley beautiful ASAP. Thanks.

OP
OP
MotorBaby

MotorBaby

Reaction score
Sorry, Dude. Mine is a boy. We have too much fun together and we make my husband too jealous for him to be a "her." Any suggestions on my damage-prevention?

Seabronc

Reaction score
The only way to guarantee no damage is to remove it and put in an internal tire carrier.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Mine has a stopping point, it is built into the mount hinges. Not sure why yours does not have that stopping point. A limiting cable or strap is the only other way I can think to fix it. Or weld an upright arm off the bumper. Or weld something off of one or both hinges.

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Id say go with the welding thing too, a body shop should do that CHEAP just have them put a little stud on it to stop it from swinging that far

OP
OP
MotorBaby

MotorBaby

Reaction score
Apparently the one of the previous owners caught it on something while it was fully extended and that caused the body to bend. I'm trying to avoid a reoccurance of that. I was thinking of reinforcement of that corner of the body, if that's possible..

Yardape

Reaction score
Depending on your fab skills, any mods will have to be from the inside of the quarter panel. If you remove the top you can easily get to the inner panel and build a subframe in there. Make sense? Or am I babbling? Once the subframe is built I would go with a limiting strap or welding a tab so that the carrier doesnt swing out to far. You might have to cut some of the inner quarter panel out to reach where you need to modify, but if you are able to do the work I suggested so far, then welding the cutout back in will be a snap.

OP
OP
MotorBaby

MotorBaby

Reaction score
The subframe idea makes complete sense to me; as a matter of fact, that was the kind of thing I had in mind. Hubby likes the idea of a welding tab, so I guess between the two, we'll come up with something. Thanks all for the input. Wish me luck!

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Apparently the one of the previous owners caught it on something while it was fully extended and that caused the body to bend. I'm trying to avoid a reoccurance of that. I was thinking of reinforcement of that corner of the body, if that's possible..
To prevent that, don't drive while the tire gate is unlocked, I thought you meant that it swung out like 270 degrees and hit the quarter panel

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire
Reaction score
Putting in a 'subframe' is going to be costly, and time consuming. Either find an inside tire mount, or buy an aftermarket style rear bumper with the tire carrier incorporated into it - the bumper's your best bet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23