'83 Spare Tire Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ledzilla

Reaction score
Ok, so I want to get my spare tire out of the cargo area and put it back on the carrier. However, it's missing a lot of hardware such as the piece that holds the weight of the tires, that piece's hardware, release handle spring, etc. I haven't had much luck in finding a lot of these pieces, or diagrams pointing out part names/numbers. I have, however, seen a few listings here and there for possibly complete carriers. So, is it possible to find these missing parts, or am I better off finding a listing for a complete carrier and just swapping it all out?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo ledzilla,
FYI, suggest you grab one from a yard;
here are the full range of our Big Broncos' external carriers

1677596883395.pngY
1677596777187.png

●Swing-Away, Type 1 (78-86); "...Brackets have sharply angled straight corners to match the older body. 87-96 have smoother curves..." by Steve

Swingaway Spare Tire Carrier Types '78-96
IF THE IMAGE IS TOO SMALL, click it.

Specific year ranges are approximate.

FOTZ-1432-A Carrier frame
EOTZ-1478-A Hinge, upper '80-86
EOTZ-1479-A Hinge, lower '80-86
EOTZ-1A398-A Latch
FOTZ-1A429-A Spare support
F1TZ-1A401-A Reinforcement plate, strike
F4TZ-9845026-AAC EB tire cover
N803515-S (A1-65-A) Swing Pin Bushing C5TZ-2461-A
NOT SHOWN
Rubber Bumper for 1469 Type 3

Types 2 & 3 require a locking lug & key (386) as shown here:
luglock.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TSB 90-07-13
Publication Date: March 28, 1990
LIGHT TRUCK: 1990 BRONCO

ISSUE: High latching and operating efforts of the swing-away spare tire carrier may be caused by a lack of lubrication on the latch and striker assemblies.

ACTION: Lubricate the swing-away spare tire carrier latch and striker assemblies. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Make sure the spare tire carrier is latched. Both the primary and secondary latches must be engaged.
2. Spray multi-purpose grease (D7AZ-19584-AA) onto the latch mechanism located on the vertical bar of the swing-away carrier.
3. Make sure the tailgate striker is in the full up position and square. Do not allow striker misalignment.
4. Close the carrier.
* Both the primary and secondary positions must be latched.
* If the carrier does not latch, re-adjust the tailgate striker as required.
5. Lubricate the roll pin on the striker and the portion of the striker which engages the rubber sleeve on the carrier.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
D7AZ-19584-AA Multi-Purpose Grease

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped including some Canadian yards.

Just did this yard search:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228-102833_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228-102833_Chrome.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230228-102847_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230228-102847_Chrome.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! And I can see you grabbed those screens from car-part.com. I've used that before (my company has even worked with them on projects in the past, too). For whatever reason I hadn't even considered them for this. I'll just see what I can grab in terms of a complete carrier, then.

What about the J-bolt or locking plate? Where can those be found? Supposing, that is, that they aren't included with a carrier. Also, I figure if I can't find the plate that holds the nut against the wheel, I can just see about fabbing something, or making a 3D print.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230301-094244_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230301-094244_Chrome.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
Oddly enough I was able to find what appear to be brand new OEM plates for sale:

The page doesn't have a photo, just one of those terrible drawings with low amounts of detail. The fitment listing appears good, though.

OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
Also looks like Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has new bushings:

And it seems like LMC Truck has some stuff, too. Not sure hy I hadn't noticed before.

J-bolt:

Plate and wing nut:

OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score

ablediver

Reaction score
Ok, so I want to get my spare tire out of the cargo area and put it back on the carrier. However, it's missing a lot of hardware such as the piece that holds the weight of the tires, that piece's hardware, release handle spring, etc. I haven't had much luck in finding a lot of these pieces, or diagrams pointing out part names/numbers. I have, however, seen a few listings here and there for possibly complete carriers. So, is it possible to find these missing parts, or am I better off finding a listing for a complete carrier and just swapping it all out?

Ledzilla,

You can find sub-assemblies from LMC or National Parts Depot (NPD). You may even want to contact Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. As far as a complete spare tire carrier assembly goes, if you can find one in good shape from a salvage, go for it. It is easier to replace it than you might think, it just bolts in. The weak links are 1.) the release handle >> later (92-96) versions seem to be made out of lighter steel that's easier to corrode and perforate. Earlier versions (87-91) are heftier. 2.) the release catch mechanism has a tendency to show a "false-positive latch". Trust me, that first left turn can take down some jaywalkers (LOL).
Either way, keep that latch mechanism well-lubed with white lithium grease and it'll pay you back with ease of operation.

Ablediver out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22