sounds like my rear is falling out of the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobstrat

Reaction score
hey guys, it's been a while.

just picked up a 1995 xlt for a cool $1500 beans. 351, power locks, windows, mirrors, seats. body is pretty damn straight, paint is good and the interior is remarkably clean for a 15 year old truck. took it for a drive and it sounds like the rear rear is going to fall out. it's not a grinding noise, more like clunking or banging, from a start and when the suspension compresses. i think it may be bushings, but i'll happily take suggestions if you have them.

95 buckin bronco

Reaction score
honestly sounds to me like the spider gears in the rear end are shot.really its no big deal the gears are $88 for the whole set,but u have to pick them up at ford one way u can be sure is u can put the truck in a hard turn either way and if it pops or anything then u know but i could be a number of things i would suggest takin the inspection plate off the rear end and lookin if nothin else

OP
OP
B

bobstrat

Reaction score
had the truck up in the air on sunday. drivers side spring hanger is bent considerably. ordering new spring hangers, shackles and associated goodies. i plan on replacing them on both sides since it appears i may have to drop the tank for easy access, which is ok, the fuel gauge doesn't work so i'll get a chance to check that out too. if i remember, i'll bring and USE my camera. usually i bring the camera, but forget to use it. i'll get a better look at the rear while she's apart.

OP
OP
B

bobstrat

Reaction score
update:

i got all the parts, hangers, shackles and bolts. mercer spring in trenton, new jersey (800-448-8874), stocks all the frame parts and fasteners if anybody else needs them. as usual, i took no pictures. being a shopless mechanic, this job was a little more time consuming than i had originally estimated. the gas tank definitely needs to come down, so anyone else considering the project should probably soak all the nuts and bolts holding the tank up a couple days in advance. i had several that i was unable to get loose, i had to resort to a dremel tool to cut a few of them out. talk about a nose bleed. this is a good time to clean up the rear part of your frame, so having some paint on hand is a good idea. you'll also need the fuel line disconnect tool on the newer broncos.

fuel line tool

when i swapped out the tank on my 90, i was able to do so with only common hand tools, so i don't know what year they switched the fuel line connections. you could probably get by with just lowering the tank if you had to, but i wanted to clean up the frame rails, requiring the tank to come out. once the tank is out of the way, it is a straight forward job. cut the old hanger out with a sawzall, grind the huck bolt heads off, then punch out the remaining piece from the frame. a little wire brushing and some paint for the frame rail and tank cover. put humptey dumptey back together.

it helps to have a buddy on hand for the assembly portion of the job. with the rear still hanging by the front hanger, i needed help to push the spring up high enough to get the shackle bolt installed in the correct direction.

summed up, if you're going to undertake a similar repair in your driveway, do what you can to facilitate the tank removal beforehand. cutting the rusted bolts with a dremel was, by far, the most time consuming/frustrating part of the whole job. a rusty bolt will only snap when you don't want it to. maybe an air chisel would work, if you have a big enough compressor tank to run it continuously. i do not, so i spent more time waiting on the air tank to fill than i did actually using the chisel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23