So Funny Story....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krafty

Reaction score
So Funny Story.... I got home from town today and I go to open my drivers door, and my interior handle is busted, it wasnt busted when I left town 20 minutes earlier. the bolt that holds the front of the handle bracket down pulled the door material off the door. it looked like someone did a half assed fix before me by welding a washer to the top of where its supposed to bolt up .

Soooo, the only thing I had sitting around home that I could use to get it to work was a soup can lid. I folded it over drilled a hole for the bolt to go through and managed to get it under the opening where the handle bolts in and got it to hold for now.

when I get my truck into the shop at work tomorrow ill take pictures of the broken fix, my temp fix, and my permanent fix. it'll be good for a laugh

OP
OP
Krafty

Krafty

Reaction score
and now those pictures I promised.

sspx0112.jpg

this is the whole left after the handle ripped off the door.

sspx0113.jpg

my ingenious fix ( it worked surprisingly well)

sspx0115.jpg

my new steel, note that I lined up the piece in the whole and then put the handle ontop of it so i could mark my hole location for a perfect fit. I also marked the original steel around the hole so I could easily line up my piece when it was time to weld

sspx0116.jpg

after the welding, it only needs to be tacked in a few spots because I have it set underneath the original steel, the handle bracket pinches it together

sspx0117.jpg

lastly a little paint to keep the rust bugs away.

its not the prettiest fix in the world but with how hard it is to get a side grinder in there to clean it up proper, an air grinder would probably maneuver in there better but I didn't have one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23