Sliders 78/79

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yes sir. I'm interested in finding a set that is usable. Mine are rusted out at the lower swivel.
Dukkie, have you tried making them yourself? Find some hard metal about the same thickness and where it bends. Make sure you bend it in the same directiong the grain of the metal. I,ll look at mine tomorrow and see how hard they would be to make. I used to have the job of making small parts for air planes when I was a swabby.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Mine are just like them. I also notice the tab that goes on the sliding window--where the two small gray round knobs are--also have the part you pull the window back is missing. I guess a guess could use any from a place like Lowe,s--Ace hardware could find a set for them I bought both sets a rubber that goes around the sliding and NON-sliding window for both my bronco. . My RED AND BLACK bronco has been a joy to work on. My RED AND WHITE ONE---has been nothing but a pain in the tulip bed. . Yesterday I put a step up on it to get in and out easier. I went to try it out and I weigh about 180 ,I stelp on it and could feel the metal bend where I bolted it too and I braced it good,I might have to run one to the frame. Then I tried to start it (NEW BATTERY) AND IT WAS DEAD, I think I might call it the TWO STEP BRONCO--YOU GET ONE THING FIXED AND TWO THINGS GO BAD, HAHAHA I took a couple of pictures of the windows this morning. I think if a guy had a tig welder and some paitence--(ALOT) he could make the braces, You,d have to take them out and put back in would be the most time comsuming though,but I wouldn,t mind trying it. When my niece gets off of work. I,ll have her try to post the picture for me.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Dukkie I was just thinking. A person might be able to take the bottom swivle off of a wing window of a pick-up and tig it on the bottom of the window on the side rear window. I,ll look at some today and find out .

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Yes sir. I'm interested in finding a set that is usable. Mine are rusted out at the lower swivel.
Dukkie, I looked at mine today,but could see down in the rubber,but I was thinking. A person coule take it apart. Measure the lenght . Take a nail,heavy duty coat hanger or just about anything will do. Cut it the same length. Take a heavy duty washer same diameter or file it down. Then have it all tig weld together, Now if the seal is like mine.Real hard. You might have to put something on it to soften it up a couple of times and let it soak in a couple of days.Then take it apart. Good luck.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I sent you a reply that might help and when you put it back together. You might want to grease it before you put it back. That would help prevent it from rusting again.

chrlsful

Reaction score
Rivet Pivot:
I used a rivet to fix my EB 'vent window' rotted out pivot.

Now I need a way to replace the flat metal surround (3 sides) as the water dripped dwn, musta had a blemish, held the rain & now just that lill section is gonzo (near latch but on outside). Not interested in taking the whole thing out (seems like there's a long 'peg' goes way dwn into the door.

How do U bend flat metal? May B I don't understand ur concept:
"...metal about the same thickness and where it bends. Make sure you bend it in the same directiong the grain of the metal...."

Where RU in west by god? I lived in several prts - capitol, St Mary;s, Morgantown & Preston Co (70s/80s). Last the best for me...

Dukkie

Reaction score
Dukkie I was just thinking. A person might be able to take the bottom swivle off of a wing window of a pick-up and tig it on the bottom of the window on the side rear window. I,ll look at some today and find out .
I have no faith in my rebuilding skills

Attachments

• 20210701_203719.jpg
    20210701_203719.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210701_203737.jpg
    20210701_203737.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210701_203802.jpg
    20210701_203802.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210701_203810.jpg
    20210701_203810.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 3

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Rivet Pivot:

Now I need a way to replace the flat metal surround (3 sides) as the water dripped dwn, musta had a blemish, held the rain & now just that lill section is gonzo (near latch but on outside). Not interested in taking the whole thing out (seems like there's a long 'peg' goes way dwn into the door.

"...metal about the same thickness and where it bends. Make sure you bend it in the same directiong the grain of the metal...."

Where RU in west by god? I lived in several prts - capitol, St Mary;s, Morgantown & Preston Co (70s/80s). Last the best for me...
heat it. Try and find some small
Rivet Pivot:

Chris, if you take a close look at metal--you will see it has grain---like wood. When you bend it--bend it in the SAME DIRECTION LIKE THESE MRAKS-----------Also some metal and when it starts getting thicker. You may have to use some heat. To make the metal give. Just remeber --the direction---take your time (paitence) You,ll be surprised at what you can do. I live about 100 from the Va line. about mid way up. 100 miles north-east of Charleston (Nicholas Co)

johnnyreb

Reaction score
heat it. Try and find some small

Chris, if you take a close look at metal--you will see it has grain---like wood. When you bend it--bend it in the SAME DIRECTION LIKE THESE MRAKS-----------Also some metal and when it starts getting thicker. You may have to use some heat. To make the metal give. Just remeber --the direction---take your time (paitence) You,ll be surprised at what you can do. I live about 100 from the Va line. about mid way up. 100 miles north-east of Charleston (Nicholas Co)
The thickness of the window frame will more then likely need some heat. I,ll try and find some metal and make a piece for you. It might take a little while,but I,ll see about it or try and find a broken window frame and cut the section out that you need ,but if you want it to pivot the window in and out.More then likely have to take it out and repair it good.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have no faith in my rebuilding skills
I think a person can do it,but it would take time. Time to take the glass out. I think acid would work to eat the seal . First try and find the stuff to make the seal between the glass and frame. Because they are hard to get out. Maybe oil or PB BLASTER OR Marvel Mystery Oil.Let it soak awhile.Then try pulling it out. Then take the seal out .Clean the frame good and cut out the bad rusted section .Put in a new section. Make sure to make everything is smooth after done.Paint it and put seal in.Then glass. It wouldn,t be a fast easy job.It,d take awhile.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I think a person can do it,but it would take time. Time to take the glass out. I think acid would work to eat the seal . First try and find the stuff to make the seal between the glass and frame. Because they are hard to get out. Maybe oil or PB BLASTER OR Marvel Mystery Oil.Let it soak awhile.Then try pulling it out. Then take the seal out .Clean the frame good and cut out the bad rusted section .Put in a new section. Make sure to make everything is smooth after done.Paint it and put seal in.Then glass. It wouldn,t be a fast easy job.It,d take awhile.
Now you all got me to think. I,ll try and find a old wing window frame tomorrow--if the rain stops and go from their. I have some door wing windows and might use one of them. They are the same thickness.

Dukkie

Reaction score
Thoughts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210701-224721_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210701-224721_Facebook.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210701-224716_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210701-224716_Facebook.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210701-224712_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210701-224712_Facebook.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 2

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have a line on a set in Ohio. $275 delivered to TX. What's yalls thought on the price. ?
Well if all 6 pieces (both sides) and freight shouldn,t be to bad.I heard the rubber is hard to get now. I bought all of mine a good while back.

Dukkie

Reaction score
Dukkie are they after market? I noticed the inside window locks are in a different place and looks like aluminum around the glass. Seems the wing window does seem to have the same look as a 78 or 79.
Should be factory. They are takeoffs the guy parted broncos over 20 years ago. He had 3 sets in the ad. Sets 1 and 2 he sold this week

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar