Side step’s and rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Hey gang let’s see side steps or rock rails you have made for your or added to your Broncos. Show us the products you used if you purchased them, or tell us how you made them?

Excited to see what y’all have done!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Have a air/hydraulic ram for my tube bender. Going to make a new stand for it. Will change the position from horizontal to a vertical. It’s a Woodward Fab bender looks identical to a JD Square. Works great, but my back can no longer take more than 20 lbs of pressure. Pics coming when I get started. Thinking of using 1 3/4 “ tube to make the frame

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't come across a picture lately but I had a 90 B2 and made tubes for it out of exhaust tubing. No bending required. They turned out pretty good.

Had thought of buying or building a bender for years, maybe glad I didn't. So many cool things to make.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Already have a bender it’s mounted to a table. A plan is to make it portable, with the air hydraulic ram it won’t have to be stationary. It’s too hot to work in the shop long but I have started the stand layout

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Left out the picture yesterday. Here is the basic layout of the base still need to notch a couple of pieces and start tacking it together.CD8A9D16-83EA-4DA5-B350-EBA2FC638A8D.jpeg

chrlsful

Reaction score
rails and steps seem 2 different things. Some R "one unit". I like the smooth look and suggest a rail alone. 2X2 sq, up against the rocker, cut off at same angle (& all the way) to the fender at both wheel well opening (both ends capped following 'that' angle). I like to have the bottom angle (long lower edge) slope innward so as to 'boost' any rock away from the door & other sheet metal when encountering.

For 'step' a single, small enlongated "U near the dorhinge might B fashoned but w/my BL & SL there is no need (I'm 5 ft, 10 inches tall). Good Luck. I like ur 1 3/4 inch size. If tublar I'd use 1 inch DOM. Tough enuff for roll bar marerial at the track (required for entry) or off rd.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Have a air/hydraulic ram for my tube bender. Going to make a new stand for it. Will change the position from horizontal to a vertical. It’s a Woodward Fab bender looks identical to a JD Square. Works great, but my back can no longer take more than 20 lbs of pressure. Pics coming when I get started. Thinking of using 1 3/4 “ tube to make the frame
Hey Mike, better take it easy and slow down for awhile.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
All I accomplished today was get the bumper for the 78 off the welding table and mounted to the Bronco. Used a hoist and installed 4 bolts. I was spent. It’s was 111 outside today 96 in the shop with doors open and fans going. Too hot for me.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
rails and steps seem 2 different things. Some R "one unit". I like the smooth look and suggest a rail alone. 2X2 sq, up against the rocker, cut off at same angle (& all the way) to the fender at both wheel well opening (both ends capped following 'that' angle). I like to have the bottom angle (long lower edge) slope innward so as to 'boost' any rock away from the door & other sheet metal when encountering.

For 'step' a single, small enlongated "U near the dorhinge might B fashoned but w/my BL & SL there is no need (I'm 5 ft, 10 inches tall). Good Luck. I like ur 1 3/4 inch size. If tublar I'd use 1 inch DOM. Tough enuff for roll bar marerial at the track (required for entry) or off rd.

I’m a little taller and the Beast is lifted, when I was 40 not a problem, (30 years later) today time has caught up with me.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Already have a bender it’s mounted to a table. A plan is to make it portable, with the air hydraulic ram it won’t have to be stationary. It’s too hot to work in the shop long but I have started the stand layout
Well Mike its getting hot hear in W.Va too. Taking basic their in 1969 at Ft Gordon--I remember Tank Hill too--That red clay sure got slick when it rained and they made sure we did,nt

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well Mike its getting hot hear in W.Va too. Taking basic their in 1969 at Ft Gordon--I remember Tank Hill too--That red clay sure got slick when it rained and they made sure we did,nt
I have them little step ups---do they count?

chrlsful

Reaction score
aw c'mon on now, NaV. I think a combo is good.
Wish I hada pic.
A clunky rocker guard (justa 1 or 2x) upa ganist the rocker, extentions to the frame rail like for fugly running bds/alu step.

A step like jayreb's pic (#15), up near the dorhinge.
We're close to 2 pages'n 20 posts !

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Nice clean work. It is hot out. I need to paint some panels and it will be a couple weeks by the looks of the forecast.
Well wait until the humidity goes down alot. If not--you,ll be going back over it before long and repaiting it. Humidity causes moisture on metal and when you paint it--Your painting over top of it.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Well wait until the humidity goes down alot. If not--you,ll be going back over it before long and repaiting it. Humidity causes moisture on metal and when you paint it--Your painting over top of it.
I actually have had really good luck painting early in the morning.

Get up, roll the truck out of the garage, wipe with a tack cloth and go.

Truck is dry, dew on the ground keeps the dust down. Usually no wind or bugs. At least until you are finishing up your last pass of clear coat. LOL.

OP
OP
NotaVegetarian

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Man I’m feeling old, all I did yesterday was set the welder up weld 4 tubes together. The thermostat on the shop wall showed 94 with the doors open the fans running. Clamped them together tacked one tube went back in the AC, cooled off welded that piece, then back inside.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23