Should I replace EGR tube?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoFloBronco

Reaction score
The previous owner removed and capped the EGR tube on the bottom of the EGR valve and at the intake. He also did a smog delete. I will be replacing the engine next month (5.8) and was wondering if it makes sense to put the EGR tube back on the new engine. I understand that it may help with gas mileage. Are there any other concerns with replacing it since the other emissions stuff has been removed?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,
I suggest installing the new tube
Ford Broncos, F Series, etc.
PCM will not operate the EGR valve when;
engine is cold; engine is at idle; engine is at WOT; At low ambient temps (water vapor from the exhaust can freeze on the throttle plate);
engine warmed up to normal operating temperature. TPS at partial throttle.
TPS not at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).
MAP/MAF must be indicating light or moderate load. A certain amount of computer clock time has to be elapsed.
And the EVR is a "normally closed" solenoid, which means that when it is de-energized, the position of the disc allows for maximum venting to the atmosphere (resulting in negligible vacuum flow to the EGR valve).

Testing;
There shouldn't be any vacuum at the EGR valve at idle or any time your BUTT, (LOL ) is under the hood fiddling with it, to put it plainly, except for perhaps a very light residual vacuum from the EVR. Check al, of your vacuum lines first, and the vacuum reservoir for leaks.

Consider purchasing a new tube from https://www.pciinc.com
Great folks!

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't have to pass emissions testing for vehicle registration I would skip the EGR. The EGR allows hot gases and dirt into the intake. Keeping it blocked off removes the heat and soot and reduces the chance for a vacuum leak.

kenrh

Reaction score
BS that it improves mileage. It is the same as starting a nice camp fire them pouring some water on it.
My pipe has been disconnected/ plug inserted. Runs as good or better.
Newer systems are OK

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke