Shock Absorbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bradt

Reaction score
Ok, I thought I had my mind made up here, but I don't know. I'm looking for some shocks for my '88 bronco. I was looking at some Bilstein shock absorbers that looked pretty decent, but I really don't know enough about it to be a good judge.

Plus I will probably be doing more work on the suspension in the future and may end up getting higher end shocks anyway. I'd love to now, but I don't have the cash and my truck's riding on springs basically.

I see the Trail Master line is about half the price of the Bilsteins, but are they any good.

Does anyone here know anything about these two brands, or can anyone recomend a decent shock absorber within the $40 or less range?

Thanks,

Brad

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I have had good success with Rancho 5000's, they are as firm as you can get. I have never broken one! A bit softer is the ProComp ES 3000 or ES 9000 series. I had 6 of the ES9000's on the Bronco for about a year before getting the lift kit, and sold those to another Bronco owner. I have the Skyjacker Hydros now, they are about like the Pro Comps. Any of these run about $35-$38 with the boot. I have not bought a Bilstein shock ever, but have broken ever da$$ one of the junk ones that come on a Chevy Z-71. I will trash a cheap shock in no time, driving gravel roads and farm turnrows.

OP
OP
B

Bradt

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. That really helped.

Yeah Justshootme84. I was looking at the Bilsteins more and the reviews were pretty mixed. Either people loved them or really weren't impressed at all. The trailmasters, from what I read, aren't all that hot either after all. Couldn't find any posts recommending them.

I'm going with the ES 3000 deal that Bluesman pointed to. Figure both you guys wouldn't steer me wrong ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . It's half of what I was looking at paying since at the shop here I was going to have to special order, then pay $8 a shock because I'm impatient and want everything yesterday, then tax.

Can't beat half the price and faster shipping with no tax! Thanks Bluesman!

Thanks again.

Brad

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
That sounds like a good deal on the Es 3000's, with a free s.s., too!!! The only thing negative I could say about these is they can get hot and fade if worked extremely hard. A friend has these on his F-250 PSD, and after an hour or two of "rough treatment", the shocks are fairly warm. If you drive normal, and don't travel 70 mph over a long, washboard road, they work fine. They are still going after 2 years, just one of them has a worn bushing. The factory shocks didn't last 3 months on his truck either, but they weren't the Rancho's like on the FX4. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
B

Bradt

Reaction score
Just to follow up. I got the shocks today and have them installed.

I have to say I was pretty impressed with the guys at 4 wheel parts. I had to call to change the shipping address the day after I ordered, and they were easy to reach. The guy was helpful, and even went ahead and checked through the order while I was on the phone to see if there was any more info they needed on the Bronco to match the shocks. Good to find a place on the internet where you can actually reach a live person in a pinch.

Brad

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula