Next Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLYFSHIN

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm wondering what the next upgrade should be to my truck. Here's what I have done so far. I'd like to stay on the performance side, but all suggestions will be considered. Lifting the truck further is not an option, since my GF has to ride in/drive it too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Warn premium hubs (JBG)

A/T tires

K & N FIPK (Home made)

Bosch 2x platinum plugs

Flowmaster delta 50 series muffler

shorty headers

Daystar Poly bushings (JBG)

New carpet/seat covers (JBG)

Panasonic MP3/WMA/CD Head unit

400 W Kicker amp

(2) 10" subs

12 degree advanced timing (just did this today, runs great!)

dicain

Reaction score
winch, intake would really help, tranny cooller, duel battery for the tunes, the list goes on an on.

OP
OP
F

FLYFSHIN

Reaction score
I'm looking into a power adder. It looks like the turbo option is out for now, from what I've read I'd have to rebuild my motor with diff. pistons to accept the load. What about supercharging?

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
Same deal! Depending on what the guy had in the box next to him at the Winsor plant, you either have cast, or "hyperpathetic" pistons. Either one will take low amounts of boost. If you want to get above 5 Lbs,(Vortec S-Trim is 8Lbs), you need Forged pistons/plasma rings. If you have a 5.0/302 you will also want to upgrade your rod bolts to 3/8 inch instead of 5/16, and have your rods stress relieved, or just buy high quality "H" beam rods.

I am an avid 5.0 'STANGER, and have seen guys destroy their daily drivers by JUST throwing on a turbo, or supercharger kit.

Also, if you don't have a MAF processor, you will want to upgrade. There are too many varibles in either kit for the Speed Density PCM to control.

Myself, as for turbo, or supercharger. I would go with the supercharger. It is easier to install, and where would you put the aftercooler? You would have to do away with the A/C, and install electric fans, just to began to make room.

BIG DEBATE!! "Superchargers rob horsepower in rotating mass." VS. "Turbo kits weigh 150Lbs, have lag time, and are a pain in the a@# to install." Both units will require you to change your oil more often, and a turbo consumes oil. Ask any Powerstroke owner if he's not a 1/2 quart low every 1000 miles.

This is my advice, based on my experences, and expenses.

Myself, I'd leave the Bronc as is. If I run into someone who thinks they are a "BAD ASS" because they outran a 6000Lb truck with 32" tires red light to red light, I'll just go home, and get my 'STANG, and send him home crying to momma.

OP
OP
F

FLYFSHIN

Reaction score
Yeah, you are right. I have a '94 Z28 pushing 500 HP if I want to race. I guess my truck does not really need that kind of juice.

brenden84

Reaction score
hey this is kind of an offtopic question but would a tip for the exhaust, depending on how long it is do anything for the sound or tone, or is it purely cosmetic? other than tires which im saving up for any other suggestions for a cheap upgrade that a 17 year old could afford?\

thanks, brenden

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"
Reaction score
Yes, it will change the tone. the longer the tips, the more mellow the tone. The bigger the tips, the deeper the tone.

Post your current exhaust system, chances are someone has something close to it, and can tell you how it sounds, and what tips they have experimented with. Mine is stock, except for dual out FlowMaster, 2 1/2" H pipe, and no tips. It has a nice deep rumble, alot like a stock mustang w/ FlowMasters.

OP
OP
F

FLYFSHIN

Reaction score
Brenden,

I would suggest following the same setup that I started with if your looking for exhaust. You can do the system as you have the money. First, buy a Flowmaster Delta 50, 3" inlet, (2) 2.25" outlets. Have them put it right behind the cat and run duals back from there. This part of the setup cost me about 250. I paid 90 for the muffler from Summit, and the rest in parts and labor. It sounds great. It's deep and mellow, but when you stand on it it rips. Not obnoxiously loud at all. Later you can spend 200 bucks and add on a pair of unequal length shorty headers that will bolt up to the stock collector. This should make it sound even sweeter!

If you have not followed my FIPK string, I would suggest that as well. It's a great upgrade for 60 bucks...and it makes the engine really rumble when you get on it.

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
If more lift isn't an option.. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Why not slam it on the ground like a low rider? :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Just kidding :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (Wouldn't ya like to 'BigFoot' crush some of them lowriders at least once?)

If you have decided to stay away from turbos and superchargers, there are still small things you can do that will get you a few horses here and there from the engine without breaking the bank.

Electric fans, if you don't already have them, are better at keeping things cool and you gain a few horses from removing the stock water pump fan.

Phenolic spacer plate for the carb. It will insulate the carb from the engines heat, allowing a denser fuel/air mix for more power and when tuned properly, gives you the extra power with increased fuel economy. (be sure to have clearance for the carb/air filter as they are typically 1" thick) SummitRacing has a good selection now starting at $26.

Crank scrapers either aftermarket or home made. They get all the excess oil off the crank, making it a lighter rotational force. More power and quicker RPMs. Although being very cheap, may mean hoisting the engine up a bit, or completely out for installation.

Wrapping the headers or exhaust manifolds. (WARNING - this will void header manufacturers warranties) Basically getting excessive heat out of the engine bay allowing a cooler compartment and cooler air intake to get a denser mix.

I have no idea what year your bronco or the engine it has, so I may have made some suggestions that can't be used (carb spacer already has electric fans etc)

Some things will work on any engine, such as getting excessive heat out as heat is a big thief of horsepower. Deburring a block and heads can give a small increase in power also, works on all engines yet is an engine out and apart type job that can be cheap if you own a Dremel and like to do all your own work, but it does mean down time and it sounds like you are trying to avoid too much down time.

I don't blame ya there, it's fun being taller than most and even I would miss the daily driving :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat