Auto hub locknut socket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stan

Reaction score
I have a '95 with the Dana 44 TTB and automatic locking hubs. I recently found out the hard way that my hubs are shot by burying my truck to the frame at the beach in the soft sand. How embarrassing! Anyways, I have just ordered the warn premium manual hubs and conversion kit but I can't find the correct socket to remove the old ones anywhere. Have checked auto parts stores, the dealership, tool specialty shops, brake shops...just about everywhere except MAC or Snap-on. The outer cap has three Torx screws in it and the locknut itself has six slots on the outer perimeter, not four. Any ideas? Website, catalog? Thanks!

Stan

"Semper Fi"

'95 Bronco Eddie Bauer 4X4 W/5.8L

Msd 6AL ignition w/MSD Blaster 2 coil

Perma-cool twin electric fans

Edelbrock performer intake manifold

BBK twin throttle body

K&N fuel injection performance kit

Hypertech chip

Hedman elite hedders (completely wrapped down to the cats)

custom true dual exhaust

Magnaflow performance cats

Flowmaster super 40 series mufflers

Ford racing 9mm wires

Bosch platinum plugs

Optima red-top battery

Factory 8.8 traction-lock rear axle with 3.55's

32x11.50x15 BFG all-terrains

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Stan!

95/96 factory 3 ***** auto hubs are revised from earlier years and they have a diff shaped socket; rounded edge type, like this;

Front Bearing Locknut Socket (OTC 6795 for 95-96); w/pics by OTC via thetoolwarehouse.net

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-6795.html

you can use a chisel to remove it since it's torqued to only 16 Lb-In & you won't need it anymore

How many screws are there in the hub's cover?

if 3 torx ***** cover; you need a conversion kit along w/the Man. Hubs

and;

it's a good DIY project; about 1 to 2 hours

And, too many articles show diff. specs...must get to everyone to clear this up soon. I know Froggman will do a write-up soon w/everything needed + proper specs. & Lock nut socket tools/info; as Topher has done, see below...

------------------------------------

5 ***** Cover Swap by Topher: http://bronco.tophersworld.com/writeup_hubs.htm

btw, he was replacing bearings too so if you're not doing that, skip those & caliper and brake pads sections.

And no need to remove wheel/tires or jack it up.

and Chris wrote to me about the BEARING LOCK NUTS TORQUE; something other articles do not fully address well & offered this:

"Word for word from Haynes Manual

Ford Pickups and Bronco 1980 - 1996

Using a lockout spanner (ford # T59T-1197-B or equivalent ) and a torque wrench, tighten the inner bearing adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds while rotating the wheel back and forth and seating the bearing.

Back off the adjusting nut approximately 45 degrees.

Assembler the lock washer by turning the inner lockout to align the pin with the nearest hole in the lock washer. To lock it, install the outer lock nut and tighten it to 150 foot pounds.

Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Move the tire in and out on the spindle. End play should be less than .006

OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Hey Miesk5,

I appreciate the info on the conversion from auto to manual, however the tool you specified will not fit my axle. The tool is described as a "special rounded" hexagonal socket, and my automatic hubs are completely round and smooth except for the six grooves spaced evenly around its perimeter. I'm just going to tap them off with a mallet and chisel or some sort of brass punch since they're going straight in the garbage when I'm done anyways. Plus, it's makes more sense than buying a tool which you will only use once.

Thanks,

Stan

OP
OP
S

Stan

Reaction score
Excellent info this time with details and pics to boot! Should be a snap. I can't wait to get back to the beach for round two!

Thanks again,

Stan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula