Hello All! New To Truck Scene! New York 89 5.8l Bronco!&#3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sylert

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just picked up my first bronco, nothing to look at but gets me around...Im thinking of doing a Rust-O paint job or flat black rattle can. heres what shes got

55K on a dealer installed rebuilt 351w (5.8 Liter)

16k on rebuilt transmition with a shit kit and overdrive

New water/fuel pump, alternator, battery, radiator, starter, wheel/axle bearings, ball joints upper/lower, U-joints and Brakes

Rears have been recently serviced with 3.73 gears

Power Windows and Locks and the rear window does work!

6in lift Rough Country Suspension Lift

Steel braided break lines

33 x 12.5 Baja Tires

4 Halogen Offroad lights on Light Bar

2 Halogen lights behind front grill

Manual Locking Hubs

VERY CLEAN interior

and i just bought a new JVC HD stereo to put in for real cheap since that will help my performance tremendously

My questions now! I know how to use the search function dont get me wrong people but advice is always welcome. I will give the answers I have found and compare to what could be more truthful!

I wanna do my own quick service, How many quarts of oil should i be ready with? and should I use 10w30 ?Ive heard between 5 & 6...is this correct!

Also i want to put a new k&N filter in, can I get the round one with the two inlets, or do i have to get the boxy one? its not mass air.

Im going to get new plugs and wires. Anyone have brand recommendation (plugs and wires) and size for the wires? 9mm?

lastly exhaust. long or shortube headers?

for now I think im going to throw a cherry bomb or glass pack on right after the cat. any suggestions on length? and whats the stock diameter of the exhaust?

Thanks people I look forward to lots of fun here!

Im also looking to put nerf bars on if anyone has a good connection haha!

89b.jpg

89b2.jpg

89b3.jpg

Those are the three toggle switches for the light bar and grill lights, each one controls 2 lights.

oldtimer

Reaction score
nice truck it depends on where you live has far as oil goes. Stick with original stuff

you can get a k&n air filter get the kit it really works well. I got mine from autopartswarehouse.com i think it was 250 bucks or so.

OP
OP
S

sylert

Reaction score
Not quite sure what you mean by stick with the original stuff, and where I live? lol. I did end up getting a K&N filter but not the whole setup just the filter..im gonna just use 10w30, I should be ok with that, Im doing the cap, rotors, wires, plugs tomorrow...should eb a nice day!

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . 10W30 should work fine. However, older engines tend to need a little help when it comes to oil pressure. A low oil pressure indication is a common thing with Broncos. It can be caused by a bad sender unit (cheap), bad oil pump (expensive), or wear in the mains. I have been using 20W50, plus a quart of Lukas for several years while procrastinating on the inevitable rebuild or swap. In the winter that is a little heavy if the temperatures are down below 20F. I know of a guy that runs 50 weight in all his engines new or old and swears by it. Use a good oil filter [-X NOT a Fram. I have experienced problems with them and have read plenty of complaints about them. I recommend Baldwin or Purelator, I use Baldwin which is very common in heavy equipment.

So, if 10W30 gives you a low reading, 1st try replacing the sender. Then after that if it is still low go for a little heavier oil. By the way, the comment by Oldtimer about where you live has to do with the normal temperature in your area, and Winter vs Summer. My engine uses about 5 quarts to fill, put in 4 and check the oil level and add till you come up to the full line. Run the engine and check again.

Good luck,

:)>-

Fritz180

Reaction score
just to add my .02$ from what seabronc said. I've used a Fram oil filter before and I had no oil pressure what so ever. I ended up replacing more parts than necessary. So I wouldn't go with fram. I use K&N little expensive but haven't had any problems yet...

Seabronc

Reaction score
just to add my .02$ from what seabronc said. I've used a Fram oil filter before and I had no oil pressure what so ever. I ended up replacing more parts than necessary. So I wouldn't go with fram. I use K&N little expensive but haven't had any problems yet...
That is one of the problems with FRAM. They often go into bypass mode providing no filtering at all and giving a low if any pressure reading. A wet gauge also works better than the stock Ford gauge, nothing like a gauge that gives numbers to go by rather than 1/2 way, 1/4, etc.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
S

sylert

Reaction score
I live in long island, unfortunately nothing but lots of roads no where fun to drive it unless i go upstate...well i did the oil change with 10w30 because i didnt see these responses till late! uh oh and i used a fram heavy duty filter, uh oh #2 lol but the oil pressure seems to be ok, next change I will get a different brand for sure. I put new wires and such and everythings running real smooth, now the body work begins! its getting cooler out but im not looking for some crazy paint job im just gonna sand and prime it...im not going to paint it till spring, this is my first attempt at paint/body work myself so well see how it goes, if all else fails ill cover it with mud

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj