460 info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to build a 460 for my 79' and while this will be my 3rd big block conversion I've learned more & more each time I build & swap one. My first was a basic performance rebuild: larger carb (750 dbl pumper), aluminum intake, RV cam & headers. A conservative build but still very strong runner. The second took things a bit farther with the same basic mods but extra $$$ spent on port matching the intake, having the cam degree'd, porting & polishing the heads as well as adding larger valves and going with a larger cam. This engine was dyno'd and produced approx 430hp & just shy of 500lbs of torque. This time around I'm going with a stroker kit. Assuming the block cleans up with a .060" overbore (it's been rebuilt once already so I don't yet know what the existing bore is, I'm hoping it was just done out to .020") a 4.39" bore and a 4.5" stroke (nominal 460 bore & stroke are 4.36" X 3.85" respectively) you wind up with a 545CID. I'd like to keep most of my mods the same as with my 2nd engine with the exception of using aluminum heads this time around. I plan on having this one dyno'd as well so I actually *know* what I've gotten for my time, effort & cash rather than just being another guy who "figures" he's got a 500+ HP engine :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

At any rate, I've been doing a lot more research this time so I have a better idea of where to go with it and what I should realistically expect. The following info has been sourced from a number of websites but www.460Ford.com has been my main reference site and provided me with the most/best info. I'd strongly recommend that anyone considering a 460 build/swap spend some time there reading thru the archives & lurking in the background. If you're going to build & swap a big block you might as well have the best info available. To that end, rather than making people search around for it I thought it might be helpful to combine some of the best info together into a single post that will contain some basic information that everyone can work off and use as a reference.

Included here is a basic HP chart explaining what you should need/expect to do to produce anywhere from 275-800hp from your 460 as well as a write-up of the "block summit" that was held in January 2005 in which 35 460 blocks were gathered and sonic ck'd to see if there were any specific years, casting #'s or dates that were better than others for any particular use. In a nutshell what was found was that all 460 blocks are pretty much the same, all can be safely bored to at least .060" without the time/expense of a sonic check & the fact that the late model D9TE blocks have a 0.25" deeper cylinder making them better for use in stroker applications (due to the additional support the longer/deeper cylinder provides for the piston skirt). I think it's worth noting that *all* the info provided is based on the stock 4.36-4.44-inch bores and 3.85-inch stroke so stroked engined are NOT represented here, strokers are wildcards over & above the info presented (having said that, outstanding info on strokers IS presented here it simply isn't represented in the HP chart) I think that an important point made here is that race/Hi-Po parts are NOT bolt-on's. Just like that new fender you get from LMC might have a ding or two in it that requires massaging before installation, so do race parts. So, here it is and I hope y'all find the info useful if not interesting.

I don't have all the names of everyone who originally gathered & posted this info, I'm just passing it on. I've cleaned up the worst of the spelling errors and redone the odd turn-of-phrase but otherwise the info is as-written by the original authors. Once again much of this can also be found at: http://460ford.com/forum/index.php All credit goes to the original posters.

The original block-summit page w/photos can be found here: http://misn.com/~frd460/blocksummit.html

********************************************************************************

********************************************************************************

Foreword

Before diving into the horsepower charts, a few items need to be clarified first. This is for 460 Ford motors with 4.36-4.44-inch bores and 3.85-inch stroke. These charts are for new members, either just getting into engines or coming from a different motor and wanting to know the particulars about building a 460, and for seasoned Ford 460 users wanting to know how to attain a certain horsepower from their combo. It is not a pump gas only list. It is designed to give the best overall performance for a given hp range.

A brief note on detonation. If you build a motor to the ragged edge of pump gas, and it detonates, you lose horsepower and you will harm the motor. It is better to sacrifice a little power (4% per point) and use less compression. If you are determined to use high compression, use race gas. It is cheaper in the long run than to harm your engine with detonation. Octane requirements have been noted in the builds.

Basic Suggestions

The intake system

It can not be stressed enough how important the carburetor is to the build. It will determine how the vehicle runs, not only at WOT, but at all the other speeds as well. A box stock Holley Double Pumper (DP) is set from the factory rich. People often complain of poor gas mileage from the DPs because they use them on their street vehicles straight out of the box. The idle and cruising circuits are very rich, and it takes a professional carburetor tuner to get the DPs set-up properly for the street. Not only for street use, but racing use also needs the carburetor to be set-up properly. The money spent on a professional carburetor tuner pays for itself, especially with the price of gas nowadays.

Cylinder heads

This is the area where you will have, or have not, the horsepower you’re seeking.

A good thread for information on the cylinder heads used in these build-ups and other heads can be found here:

http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=18321

At every horsepower level, the cylinder head should be purchased from a professional cylinder head shop/porter. There is power to be found in doing a correct valve job even at the lowest of hp levels.

Furthermore, the TFS heads and P51 are mass produced items. A professional can get them "dialed-in". Do not think because you paid X amount of dollars that the head is perfect. Sometimes, not always, they need a little touching up for them to flow like they should out of the box, a lap job for the valve seal, etc.

Shortblock updated info

A word on basic machining. The basic part recommendations in each horsepower level increases as rpm rises. It is rpm, and not horsepower that requires the better parts. The time spent at the higher rpms also affects part selection. When in doubt, it never hurts to upgrade parts. The parts suggested at each build level will be able handle the rpm with good machining.

Good machining starts with making sure all parts are sound. All steel parts should be magnaflux crack tested, and all aluminum parts with zyglo. Every part should be checked, even new parts, to make sure they have correct measurements. If you find measurements to be off, have them corrected. Even though machining in and of itself does not add a significant amount of power between the best job and a poor job, the life of the engine can be affected greatly. The higher the rpm, the more critical and costly the machining becomes, due to the machinist having to mock up multiple times, setting up his equipment to get the machining “spot on”, and checking and rechecking engine measurements. Be aware also that aftermarket “race” components often require “fitting” to make them work. They typically do not just bolt-on.

On 400 to 550 hp builds, it is prudent to find a good machinist/engine builder. Past the 550 hp mark, it is best not only to find a good machinist/engine builder, but one who is familiar with building 460s. There are minor things that can make or break the combo beyond 550 hp.

The stock crank, 2-bolt mains, and factory bolts are good to the 675-700 horsepower build, after which the block should be 4-bolted. It is rpm again, for the need to 4-bolt. Anytime rpm exceeds 7500 rpm, aluminum rods should be considered, as cap walk starts to show up after that rpm with steel rods.

Paul Kane’s website on oiling mods:

http://www.highflowdynamics.com/

Quench

There is more to power than just raising the compression by using quench. Here is a quote from Scott Johnson and Paul Kane on the subject of the importance of quench and engine performance. In all the engine builds, this is factored in.

“Quench is the distance between the flat portion of the cylinder head deck and the top of the piston. The early BBF's set the piston about .010" below deck at TDC. Combined with a head gasket of about .040" thick this made for a quench distance of about .050". The later 460's set the piston even further below deck at TDC to further reduce static C/R with a resulting quench distance of some.065" which is really marginal.

The reason quench is important? As the piston approaches TDC the air fuel mixture in that area is violently forced into the chamber proper and serves to: rehomogenize the mixture in the chamber and cool the chamber resulting in greater detonation tolerance for a given static compression ratio. The name is derived from the fact that the small crevice area there serves to quench the flame front.

A quench distance greater than .060" loses much of the effectiveness of the design. I set most of my combos at Deck height for higher RPM use and about set the piston about .005" out of the hole for lower RPM use. Tight quench makes more torque for a given static C/R plain and simple. 7 to 10 pound feet for every .010" you close the quench distance is nothing to sneeze at.

Remember that at speed the piston and con rod stretch and the actual running distance is even closer. The higher the rpm window of operation the greater the amount of stretch. The trick is to have the piston almost kissing the head at max RPM so that the violent shock wave imparts a lot of additional mixture motion in the chamber when the flame front is in its early stages. Tight quench combos have faster mean flame front rates than non quench combos and need less ignition timing to make best power.

This is the reason I avoid using Sealed-Power pistons, or any piston for that matter, that has a short compression height which leaves the piston sometimes as much as .035" down the hole at TDC in the later blocks.”

“Just want to add that the quench area of the combustion chamber must be tight clearanced enough (as outlined above) so that the negligible air/fuel mixture does not ignite in this area.

When the quench distance is inadequate/too far open, the air/fuel mixture ignites in this area....hence, NO QUENCH.”

Exhaust system

It is important to use a free flowing muffler in all the builds. Flow- Masters do not flow enough. Any muffler were you can pick it up and look thru it, without barbs or such protruding into the airflow will be a good flowing one. If noise is a concern, then a termination box should be built and then mufflers. You are striving for no back pressure.

Adding a stroker kit

Some have asked about a horsepower chart for stroker kits. Some of the most common are:

4.39 bore x 4.15 stroke = 502 cubic inches

4.39 bore x 4.3 stroke = 520 cubic inches

4.39 bore x 4.5 stroke = 545 cubic inches

By adding a stroker crankshaft, the following occurs:

1) For every 50 cubic inches added, the rpm at which torque and horsepower peak at will drop about 600 rpm. So, if your 460 horsepower peaks at 6000 rpm, a 545 will peak at 5000 rpm. This assumes not changing anything else in the engine combo.

2) If you wish to maintain the same horsepower and torque peaks when you increase the stroke, you need to add between 12 to 16 degrees of additional intake duration for every 50 cubic inches added in displacement. Respectively, exhaust will have to be increased also.

3) The amount of torque below the torque peak, and at peak, will increase. This is a good thing, especially for street cars.

4) The larger the engine, the faster it will pull rpm. The weight of the rotating assembly is almost the same on all strokes, from a 460 to the 545 assembly, but as you increase the stroke, the engine now has more displacement pushing that assembly.

5) If you keep the same cylinder heads on the larger motor, you need to add overlap by using a tighter lobe separation, usually 1 to 2 degrees for every additional 50 cubic inches, until you get to 270 degrees @ .050" lift. Above 270 @ .050" duration, you need to bring lobe separation wider to limit overlap that is inherent after that duration. BSFC numbers go up needlessly with too much overlap.

The tighter lobe separation angle adds the necessary overlap to feed the additional inches, however, it does close the intake valve earlier. The horsepower peak numbers will be similar, but will occur at a slightly lower rpm with the tighter LSA. It is usually good not to advance the cam as much as usual.

If your compression ratio is "on the edge" running on pump gas, it may be inapproopriate to tighten the LSA because it increases lower rpm cylinder pressures. The tight LSA adds low and mid range torque because of the lower end cylinder pressures, but may not be needed if the vehicle combo is traction limited. As an example, a street vechicle only running on street tires.

6) Peak horsepower will increase slightly.

Special Note

In regards to this chart, for every listed horsepower level, there is at least 10 different combos to get that same power. The builds outlined will get you the horsepower listed, but they are not the only way. Every individual's combo requires its own unique build. Some combos may need a lower profile manifold, some solid lifter cam only, and/or it needs certain parts to qualify for a specific class.

There are only 4 different cylinder heads shown for all these builds. There are other cylinder heads that can be used for each horsepower level, and in some cases preferred, once a person learns/knows what the other heads specifications are. This link: http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?t=18321 will help you to learn about the other cylinder heads available.

In conclusion, this chart cannot be everything to everyone. Think of this chart as just as a guide-line to get you started in the right direction.

275-300HP 460ci

Intake System:

Holley 600-750 vacuum secondary

Edelbrock Performer (non-RPM) Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

Heads can be D0VE or D3VE

(No Port work. Just good 3 angle valve job.)

Intake valve size 2.08

Exhaust valve size 1.65

Stock rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam Custom Spec Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent

Based on the Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Series

Intake Lobe 5437 and Exhaust Lobe 5430

(Specs:240/250 adv., 196/[email protected], .476/.479 lift, 112 LSA)

Compression around 8.0:1

Stock crank

Stock rods

Standard volume oil pump

Stock oil pan

Exhaust:

Passenger cast-iron manifolds to dual 2.25" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

87-octane. Horsepower peak at 4,100 rpm. Keep redline to 5000 rpm.

300-325HP 460ci

Intake System:

Holley 750 vacuum secondary

Edelbrock Performer (non-Rpm) Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

Heads can be D0VE or D3VE with mild port job

(315-ish/180-ish cfm @.600)

Intake valve size 2.08

Exhaust valve size 1.65

Stock rockers.

Short Block:

Intake Lobe 5430 and Exhaust Lobe 5232

(Specs:250/268 adv., 206/[email protected], .479/.493. lift, 112 LSA)

Compression around 9.0:1

Stock crank

Stock rods

Standard volume oil pump

Stock oil pan

Exhaust:

Passenger cast-iron manifolds to dual 2.25" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

91 octane. Horsepower peak at 4,500 rpm. Keep redline to 5500 rpm.

325-350HP 460ci

Intake System:

Edelbrock Performer (non-Rpm) Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

Intake valve size 2.08

Exhaust valve size 1.65

Stock rockers

Short Block:

(Specs:250/268 adv., 206/[email protected], .479/.493. lift, 110 LSA)

Stock crank

Stock rods

Standard volume oil pump

Stock oil pan

Exhaust:

1.75" headers to dual 2.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

91 octane. Horsepower peak at 4,500 rpm. Keep redline to 5500 rpm.

350-375HP 460ci

Intake System:

Edelbrock Performer Rpm Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

Intake valve size 2.08

Exhaust valve size 1.65

Stock rockers.

Short Block:

(Specs:250/268 adv., 206/[email protected], .479/.493. lift, 110 LSA)

Stock crank

Stock rods

Standard volume oil pump

Stock oil pan

Exhaust:

1.75" headers to dual 2.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

91 octane. Keep redline to 5500 rpm.

375-400HP 460ci

Intake System:

Cylinder Heads:

Heads can be D0VE or D3VE with mild port job and port match

Intake valve size 2.08

Exhaust valve size 1.65

Stock rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam XE262H Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent

(Specs:262/270 adv., 218/[email protected], .513/.520, 110 LSA)

Compression around 9:0:1

Stock crank

Stock rods with good bolts

Standard volume oil pump

Stock oil pan with windage tray

Exhaust:

Summary:

91-octane. Keep redline to 6000 rpm.

400-425HP 460ci

Intake System:

750cfm Holley DP professionally calibrated for your application

Cylinder Heads:

D0VE heads with mild port job and chambers polished

(315ish/180-ish cfm flow @.600)

Intake valve size 2.08

Exhaust valve size 1.65

Stock rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam XE262H Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent

(Specs:262/270 adv., 218/[email protected], .513/.520, 110 LSA)

Compression around 9.5:1

Stock crank

Standard volume oil pump

Exhaust:

1 7/8" headers to dual 2.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

425-450HP 460ci

Intake System:

Cylinder Heads:

D0VE head with mild port job, chambers polished, and port match

Intake valve size 2.08

Exhaust valve size 1.65

Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Intake Lobe 5443 and Exhaust Lobe 5203

(Specs:268/280 adv., 224/[email protected], .524/.544 lift, 110 LSA)

Stock crank

Standard volume oil pump

Exhaust:

1 7/8" headers to dual 2.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 2.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

450-475HP 460ci

Intake System:

Cylinder Heads:

D0VE head with mild port job, chambers polished and port match

Intake valve size 2.08

Exhaust valve size 1.65

Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam XE274H Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent

(Specs:274/286 adv., 230/[email protected], .562/.565, 110 LSA)

Stock crank

Eagle I-beam rods

High volume oil pump

Deepened oil pan with windage tray

Exhaust:

Summary:

91-octane. Keep redline to 6500 rpm.

475-500HP 460ci

Intake System:

750cfm Holley DP Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Cylinder Heads:

D0VE heads with larger valves, port job, chambers polished and port match

(330-ish/190-ish cfm flow @.600)

Intake valve size increased to 2.19

Exhaust valve size increased to 1.76

Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Compression at 9.8:1

Stock crank

Eagle I-beam rods

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

1 7/8" headers to dual 3" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 3" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

91 octane. Keep redline to 6500 rpm.

500-525HP 460ci

Intake System:

750cfm Holley DP Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Cylinder Heads:

TFS street heads with mild clean-up

Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Compression around 10.0:1

Stock crank

Eagle I-beam rods

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

1 7/8" headers to dual 3" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 3" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

525-550HP 460ci

Intake System:

850cfm Holley DP Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Cylinder Heads:

TFS street heads with mild clean-up

Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam XE284H Hydraulic flat tappet cam or equivalent

(Specs:284/296 adv., 240/[email protected], .584/.588, 110 LSA)

Compression around 10.0:1

Stock crank

Eagle I-beam

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

Summary:

550-575HP 460ci

Intake System:

950cfm Holley DP Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Weiand Stealth Standard Port Intake Manifold

Cylinder Heads:

TFS street heads with mild clean-up and chambers polished

Roller rockers.

Short Block:

Comp Cam 34-652-5 solid flat tappet cam or equivalent

(Specs:294/304 adv., 256/[email protected], .589/.615, 108 LSA)

Compression around 10.5:1

Stock crank

**** H-beam rods

Block oiling mods

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

Summary:

91-octane. Keep redline to 7000 rpm.

575-600HP 460ci

Intake System:

950cfm Holley DP Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Edelbrock 4150 Victor Intake ported

Cylinder Heads:

TFS street heads with mild clean-up and Victor port match

Roller rockers.

Stud girdle.

Short Block:

Comp Cam XR280R-10 solid roller street cam

(Specs: 280/286 adv., 242/[email protected], .657/.664 lift, 110 LSA)

Compression around 12.0:1

Stock crank

**** H-beam rods

Block oiling mods

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

Summary:

100-octane. Horsepower peak at 6,000 rpm. Keep redline to 7000 rpm.

600-625HP 460ci

Intake System:

1050 cfm Holley Dominator Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Edelbrock Dominator Victor Intake ported

Cylinder Heads:

TFS street heads with mild clean-up Victor port match

Roller rockers.

Stud girdle.

Short Block:

Comp Cam XR286R-10 solid roller street cam

(Specs: 286/292 adv., 248/[email protected], .664/.671 lift, 110 LSA)

Stock crank

**** H-beam rods

Block oiling mods

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

Summary:

100-octane. Horsepower peak at 6,200 rpm. Keep redline to 7000 rpm.

625-650HP 460ci

Intake System:

1050cfm Holley Dominator Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Edelbrock Victor Dominator Intake ported

Cylinder Heads:

TFS street heads with mild clean-up with Victor port match.

Roller rockers.

Stud girdle.

Short Block:

Comp Cam XR292R-10 solid roller street cam

(Specs: 292/298 adv., 254/[email protected], .671/.678 lift, 110 LSA)

Stock crank

**** H-beam rods with upgraded bolts

Block oiling mods

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

Summary:

100-octane. Horsepower peak at 6,500 rpm. Keep redline to 7200 rpm.

650-675HP 460ci

Intake System:

1150cfm Holley Dominator Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Cylinder Heads:

TFS street heads with port job and Victor port match

Roller rockers.

Stud girdle.

Short Block:

Comp Cam custom spec solid roller cam or equivalent

Xtreme Energy Street Rollers on intake and CR Series Rollers on Exhaust

Lobe 4879 on intake and Lobe 4682 on exhaust

(Specs:310/311 adv., 272/[email protected], .698/.683 lift, 110 LSA)

Stock crank

Block oiling mods

High volume oil pump

Deepened and fully baffled oil pan with windage tray

Exhaust:

Summary:

100-octane. Horsepower peak at 6,700 rpm. Keep redline to 7200 rpm.

675-700HP 460ci

Intake System:

1150cfm Holley Dominator Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Cylinder Heads:

Kaase P51 heads with mild clean-up

Roller rockers.

Stud girdle.

Short Block:

Comp Cam Custom Spec solid roller cam or equivalent

Based on the High Torque .440 for intake and RT Series for exhaust

Intake Lobe 4240 and Exhaust Lobe 5203

(Specs:284/292 adv., 256/[email protected], .761/.743 lift, 108 LSA)

Stock crank

Block oiling mods

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

2 1/8" headers to dual 3" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 3" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

100-octane. Horsepower peak at 6,700 rpm. Keep redline to 7200 rpm.

700-725HP 460ci

Intake System:

1250cfm Holley Dominator Carb professionally calibrated for your application

Cylinder Heads:

Kaase P51 heads with port job

Roller rockers.

Stud girdle.

Short Block:

Intake Lobe 4241 and Exhaust Lobe 4135

(Specs:288/298 adv., 260/[email protected], .761/.753 lift, 108 LSA)

Stock crank with aero and lightening mods

**** H-beam rods with upgraded rod bolts

Block oiling mods

Block 4-bolted on center 3 caps

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

2 1/8" headers to dual 3.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 3.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

100-octane. Keep redline to 7500 rpm.

725-750HP 460ci

Intake System:

Cylinder Heads:

Kaase P51 heads with full race port job

Roller rockers.

Stud girdle.

Short Block:

Intake Lobe 4245 and Exhaust Lobe 4137

(Specs:296/302 adv., 268/[email protected], .761/.753 lift, 108 LSA)

Custom pistons with compression around 12.5:1

Block oiling mods

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

2 1/8" headers to dual 3.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 3.5-inch Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

750-775HP 460ci

Intake System:

Edelbrock Victor Dominator Intake with full race port job and plenum mods

Cylinder Heads:

Roller rockers.

Stud girdle.

Short Block:

Intake Lobe 4252 and Exhaust Lobe 4138

(Specs:300/308 adv., 272/[email protected], .761/.753 lift, 108 LSA)

Custom pistons with compression around 13.0:1

Block oiling mods

High volume oil pump

Exhaust:

2 1/8" headers to dual 3.5" pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 3.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

775-800HP 460ci

Intake System:

Edelbrock Victor Dominator Intake with full race port job and plenum mods

Cylinder Heads:

Roller rockers.

Stud girdle.

Short Block:

Comp Cam 34-740-9 solid roller cam or equivalent

(Specs:313/319 adv., 275/[email protected], .806/.763, 110 LSA)

Custom pistons with compression around 14.0:1

BME aluminum rods or equivalent

Block oiling mods

High volume oil pump

Deepened and full baffled oil pan with windage tray

Exhaust:

2 1/8" headers to dual 3.5 " pipes with H-pipe. Good flowing 3.5" Magnaflow mufflers or equivalent.

Summary:

110+ octane. Keep redline to 8000 rpm.

Ford 385 Series Block Summit

In January of 2005 a group of people who regularly visit the Ford 385 Series Big Block Forum www.460ford.com got together to gather some much needed information about the blocks used during the production life of these engines. People who attended the event brought along production blocks from their own personal collections and those blocks were subjected to a variety of tests. They were weighed, foundry markings, casting production dates and casting numbers were recorded and finally they were each subjected to a through ultra sonic check of each bore in 12 positions to determine and map cylinder wall thickness. At the Block Summit Charlie Evans took some time to give a seminar on Big Block Ford cylinder heads covering not only their intended applications but also the finer points of modifing them needless to say it was both informative and entertaining. Jay Cornell and the rest of the folks from IDT also made the trip down from Michigan bringing along with them some samples of their product and some of their sand mold patterns for everyone to see. Jay used them to explain the casting process to everyone and what it takes to make a block from scratch. After hearing about the whole process I found it completely amazing that a manufacturer such as the Ford Motor Company could make blocks not by the tens or hundreds but by the thousands and millions.

What everyone hoped to find was a particular series of blocks that could be utilized for large overbores without fear of producing a block with overly thin cylinder walls. It is common to bore these engines .080 oversize to a finished bore diameter of 4.440 inches. Some builders have even bored as far as .140 oversize for a 4.500 finished bore diameter. These bore sizes along with a stroke of 4.500 inches make engines of 557 and 572 cubic inch displacement, all from a regular production block casting.

The day of the event 35 blocks were put to the test. The big block Ford had a production life from 1968 till 1996 and it was used in nearly all Ford fullsize cars and trucks during that time. Block castings from every era were present, C8VE-A,C9VE-A,DOVE-A,D1VE-A2A, D1VE-A2B, and D9TE blocks were tested. There were several Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet blocks with four bolt main caps and even one Boss 429 block in the mix. Blocks bearing marks from these 3 foundrys were all present at the block summit. The foundry marking is on the block at the top rear near the oil pressure tap boss. The marking that looks like CCP is the Cleveland Foundry, DIF is the Dearborn Foundry and finally MCC is Michigan otherwise known as the Flatrock Foundry. From what could be determined from the block summit data what that blocks were originally cast at Dearborn Iron Foundry at least until the D1VE and later castings when production was moved to Flatrock. Blocks were produced at Flatrock until the introduction of the D9TE block for 1979 when production was moved to Cleveland Cast Products till the end of production. What is interesting is how each foundry used unique tooling to produce the blocks each of which having unique and often special features. For instance, the DOVE-A blocks produced in the Dearborn foundry are the only ones cast with extra thick main webbing to allow for the factory instalation of 4 bolt main caps. Not all of the DOVE-A blocks have 4 bolt mains but they all have the provision for them. The D9TE blocks are cast with a cylinder wall that's .250 longer than other production blocks and this is an interesting feature. It's not known why the factory changed this but it is certainly a plus if long strokes are being run, giving the piston more support at BDC. (4.500 stroke 6.700 rod combinations work fine in all production blocks) SVO blocks also have this feature. Not to be left out, the D1VE blocks from the Michigan/Flatrock foundry are the most numerous and they were used in 429 and 460 production from about 1971till 1978.

Other production block features are: C8VE,C9VE and DOVE blocks all have a narrow pan rail. D1VE blocks can have a narrow pan rail but only in the AA version. AB or A2B blocks have a wider or unreleaved pan rail as do all D9TE blocks. Some DOVE-A blocks are cast with a large "A" on a square boss at the front of the block. Many of those particular blocks are also cast using Boss 429 bulkheads front and rear. This bulkhead has slightly more material under the front main cap than the regular bulkhead. Not all "Boss 9 bulkhead" DOVE-A's have the large "A". The rear bulkhead appears to be identical to other blocks with the exception of additional bosses near the rear cam bearing bore. In the actual Boss 429 block this additional material was used to accomidate the Boss 429's unique oiling system and also a bolt on cover instead of a drive in plug for the rear of the camshaft. None of the DOVE-A blocks are tapped or machined any different than regular production blocks in this area.

All of the blocks were weighed and while there were differences there seemed to be no real rhyme or reason to the variance

Ultra sonic thickness testing was what was hoped to reveal any secrets making some of the blocks, one particular casting more desirable than the others. After testing over 30 blocks, none were found to be universally superior in the area of cylinder wall thickness. Some were thicker and some were thinner than others but no particular casting number, date code or foundry could be deemed the best for large overbores and or cylinder wall thickness. All of the data was carefully recorded and is presented here:Watch out, this file is about 1.8MB

Here's a link to the data sheets presented in HTML format for easy viewing, thanks to Byron from the 385 Series Forum

When reading the data sheets the information is arranged as listed except that the cylinders were measured at 4 places around the bore but at 3 instead of 2 different depths. So, the first number listed at each position is at 1 inch depth. Then the number after the "/" is the reading from 2" down etc.

EX-514 Headed 557 Ford Engine Build Up Link:

Dakota Ultrasonic's Ultrasoinc Thickness Testers

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well, no, it's not a short post is it ? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's probably not for the guy who's just looking to toss a junkyard 460 in his truck & be done with it.
It might be good for a race car,but in a bronco???? Most Bronco owners won,t be traveling that fast . Plus want better mileage in their daily travels. Plus the expense of a motor like that. Would be worth alot more the the average Bronco owner. It is a long write up. The more I read--sometimes I couldn,t even pronounce the words. I,m glad I wasn,t in a class room listening to it. I would have gotten dizzy.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke