1978 Bronco - 5.9L Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

American Thunder

Reaction score
Bb780042.jpg

My 1978 Bronco project truck, that I picked up for only a few hundred bucks about 3 months ago. No motor, trans, but I have the original NP205 case. The truck has 86,000 miles on it, so the case is likely in great shape inside.

The previous owner sandblasted the entire underside of the body and the chassis, and sprayed it with DP90 epoxy primer. It'll need some floor work eventually, as it's thin, and I plan on full quarter replacement on both sides next year. But the truck is in very good, solid condition.

The entire 6" skyjacker suspension is new, poly bushings and all.

As for a motor, I'm going to swap in a 6BT Cummins. I picked up a Cummins powered 1991 Dodge 3/4 ton dump truck with 159,000 miles on it for $1300. I already have the transmission sold, the Dana 70 is up for sale, and I will scrap out the rest of it. The Cummins motor will end up costing me about $400 when all is said and done.

Cummins59stock.jpg

This thing runs like the day it was built. Not even a puff of smoke when starting it cold, it's an awesome motor. Looks a little rough now, but I'll spray it either Ford corporate dark blue or the lighter Cummins blue, undecided so far.

I'm buying an adapter to bolt the Cummins up to my C6 transmission, an adapter to bolt the Ford torque converter to the Cummins flexplate, and a set of motor mounts made for the swap. Of course I'm using the NP205 behind the C6. A buddy of mine owns a trans shop, so he's going to toughen and freshen the C6 for me, and I'll probably use a C6 torque converter from a 6.9/7.3 application. I removed the stock throttle pedal with the linkage, and took the pedal from the dodge parts truck to see if it would fit. I had to drill one hole in the firewall and enlarge another hole where the cable plugs in, otherwise the '91 dodge pedal and cable is a direct swap into the '78 Bronc. It took about 5 minutes.

I'm installing a floor shifter and cable, though not sure which model yet. I already upgraded the brake master and booster with new F350 parts, and the rear wheel cylinders are now F350 parts, too. Only thing left for the brakes is upgrading the front calipers and possibly installing vented rotors.

The motor mounts that Fordcummins.com sells move the engine back 3", almost touching the firewall,(the 3" body lift helps here) which means I can probably use the stock length rear driveshaft with my 6" suspension lift, as the trans/case are also moved rearward 3". This will help quite a bit in getting some of the 975 lbs of turbodiesel engine weight off the nose of the truck. Eventually, I'll order up a lightweight glass hood for it, too. Between those 2 things, the front axle should have about the same weight on it as it does with a 460 swap. I'm going to install a quad shock setup also. I may also build an aluminum front bumper to save more weight.

For exhaust, I'm running a 4" downpipe into 4" exhaust with no muffler, a single 90 degree bend, and it'll exit under the passenger door.

I made a short video clip of the 6BT Cummins running. I removed the muffler so I'd get an idea what it will sound like in the Bronco.

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/amer...ns59stock-1.flv

When it's done, it will have 3.50 gears, 35" tires, 3 speed C6 auto, with the motor making 300 hp at 2800 rpm and 600 ft/lbs at 1800 rpm. It'll cruise at 2000 rpm at 55 mph. I may swap in a set of 3.00 gears or even 2.73s, depending on how the motor feels, to get better mileage, as this will be my daily driver, and I doubt the motor will need much gearing to easily move the Bronco.

Some guys at Cummins agreed with my guesstimation of mid to high 20 mpg, we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Cool swap, sounds like you got most of it worked out. What made you decide not to use the Dana70 for the rear axle? Looking forward to more build pics, JSM84

OP
OP
American Thunder

American Thunder

Reaction score
The 9 that's in it is in perfect shape, with new brakes and all, and I really like the aluminum slot mags on it, and I didnt want to go through the trouble of doing the D70 swap, then find a D60 front and rebuild whatever it needed, and then find a set of 10" wide 8 lug wheels, too. Plus I'd end up with a lot more weight on the vehicle, which I'm trying to reduce any chance I get, to optimize mileage and acceleration. If an axle breaks in the rear, I'll upgrade to 35 spline detroit locker and aftermarket axles, same goes for the D44 in the front. That way I gain the strength without the extra weight.

pwoofer

Reaction score
Hey American Thunder,

I just wanted to tell ya that is an awesome project. Great minds think alike. I have been looking for someone to put a 6BT in a '78 or '79 Bronco for some time to see how it could be done. I know that is a beast of a truck. Anyway, I was wondering if we could exchange emails so I could use you as a consultant for when I attempt my own '78/'79 Bronco 6BT swap. It may be a little ways away from now (until funds become right), but it's always good to have resources and do your homework. I greatly appreciate any information you add on to the forum.

My name is Phil and my email is [email protected]

Good luck with the rest of your project.

Thanks

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Looks like a great project!

My buddy has a 67 F100 with a 1ton axle swap, and a 5.9 cummins motor. I almost want to do this to my bronco as these look pretty sweet swaps and I'm learning a ton getting his truck road worthy

Powerstroker 86

Reaction score
american,

are you using the 79 radiator or did u swap it out for a bigger one? im working on a 7.3L PS swap into a 79.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo