Scout Saginaw Steering Box Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKEbronco

Reaction score
I have heard that a Scout Saginaw power steering box can be converted to work in an early Bronco for a fraction of the cost of a kit or a true Bronco box. If this is viable, how is it done? What year of parts are needed? I love the idea of the kits that can be purchased from Duff's and Wildhorses, but I'm building my Bronco on a GI's budget. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I have this set up, its out of a 73 Scout. The biggest problem was the pitman arm faces forward instead of backwards like the stock one. I had to reinforce the frame with 3/8 plate and installed the box right next to the trac bar mount on the frame. This way it sits back on the frame and is close to the same drag link angle as stock. The other good thing was I rotated the box at an angle so it ligned up with the steering shaft (I have a 2" body lift) and I didn't need a drop pitman arm since its angled more down hill even with the 3.5" lift. Although I have the tie rod over conversion as well which helps.

I can turn my 38" swamper much easier than the stock bronco pwr steering.

If you need the drop pitman arm you can buy the Duff one and it bolts right up to the Scout box. Same spline count and has the same four wider splines at 12, 3, 6, 9 O'clock.

If you need photos let me know...