Restoring A Butchered Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
Greetings from Lubbock, TX!

I've been passionate about cars and truck for more than 53 years, and scores have passed through my hands, including a '66 Bronco with the pickup cab. I had that truck back in 1974 when it, being a six-cyliinder, three-speed version, went on down the road in favor of a full-sized truck.

I now, at last, find myself with a 1992 Bronco, which is not ready for prime time. It's a 302-powered Custom - crank windows, manual seats, no cruise, no tilt, rubber floor mats, but that suits me just fine...fewer things to cause problems. However, the truck has a major issue with the driveline. Someone, for reasons unknown, replaced the original E4OD and BW1356 with a 2WD F150 E4OD and driveshaft, converting the Bronco into a two-wheel drive truck. That's utterly a criminal act, but I've already started on restoration.

I have replacement driveshafts and a good manual-shift bolt ****** 1356 transfer case. The 4WD shifter and mounting bracket are on the way. A buddy who has been building transmissions for 40 years is going to change the existing E4OD to a 4WD version. It's up to me to provide the labor to get all this installed, but the end product will be worth the effort.

The truck has no dents or scratches, no rust, decent vinyl interior and new tires. The only aspect about which I'm not excited is the color - light mocha - but I'm probably going to paint the lower part dark brown or black.

I've already learned valuable information cruising this site, and I look forward to continuing to use it for guidance in the project.02.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!,

It may seem butchered, but dang that looks clean compared to what I usually get to start with. Rust free is the hardest thing. Not easy to fix that. Everything else is bolt on.

Great find. Glad you are saving it.

OP
OP
Bill_Morgan

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
I finally learned the reason for the redneck two-wheel-drive conversion. The original owner was traveling at road speed when the rear driveshaft broke loose at the transfer case. Before he could stop, the flailing driveshaft struck and broke the transfer case. He couldn't afford to replace it, so he scrounged up the 2WD E4OD and driveshaft and kept on trucking.

I lack only five u-joints having everything in hand to convert the Bronco back to its original configuration. I'm mulling over changes to the paint scheme because I find the all-over light mocha to be too bland to suit me.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to work for a construction company years ago and that is how we kept moving. Do whatever to just keep moving. So pulling the Tcase, yeah smart of him. too bad he never fixed it and left you with the mess.

What color is the interior?

OP
OP
Bill_Morgan

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
Tan vinyl interior, in great shape other than a three-inch split in an outside seam on the driver seat. A company called Plastic Surgeon did a good job of repairing a split in the leather of the driver seat in my Lexus SC430, so I'm gonna have then take a shot at the Bronco seat.

I've not yet cleaned it out from where the PO piled parts inside, and it's shortly off to NAPA to see if I can find pushpin retainers for the interior roof window trim. I have the Ford numbers, but no luck finding anything with them.

Attachments

• DSCN4593.JPG
    DSCN4593.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN4595.JPG
    DSCN4595.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 6

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Tan vinyl interior, in great shape other than a three-inch split in an outside seam on the driver seat. A company called Plastic Surgeon did a good job of repairing a split in the leather of the driver seat in my Lexus SC430, so I'm gonna have then take a shot at the Bronco seat.

I've not yet cleaned it out from where the PO piled parts inside, and it's shortly off to NAPA to see if I can find pushpin retainers for the interior roof window trim. I have the Ford numbers, but no luck finding anything with them.
Try Green Sales Company out of Ohio. Their number is 1-800-543-4959. Type it in your address bar and watch the video and he will explain all they have and what years too. Its a big place and they have made in America buy Ford.

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
@Bill_Morgan When you described this Bronco as "Butchered" I was expecting much worse. Of course its going to cost a good bit of $ to make it proper and enjoyable again but from the photos you shared its fare from bad. Look forward to seing more photos of your restoration adventure.

chrlsful

Reaction score
owned an EB/1st gen since '83 (250/4.1 ThriftPower i6, NV3550 5 speed). My offering? get a good list of the typical Bronk vendors, (Jeff's WH, Duff, BCB) tour the local new-prts big box stores. U need to have a "I want the part today, nxt few hrs" if a DD like mine. After going round one of the 3, 4 local machine shops (we have one in every town here where industrial reveloution started) I found a bring-it-&-wait head surfacing service. Couldn't believe it - 20 min from t. call to return. I had a fast food burg waitin & it wuz done as prommised when I returned ($60)! I will go back again.
I'd also say spend the extra & get the ford dealier's service manual but stuff is on line now. Learn to usea cellie to call it all up, keep it in the garage @ near hand. U only gota yr or 2 on me so I gotta tell ya, the kids taught me this trick...they even send pic to the prts house so da counter monkey (some never touched a car, just "look it up" on 'puter) get it right.
Have fun, B safe AND productive~

johnnyreb

Reaction score
owned an EB/1st gen since '83 (250/4.1 ThriftPower i6, NV3550 5 speed). My offering? get a good list of the typical Bronk vendors, (Jeff's WH, Duff, BCB) tour the local new-prts big box stores. U need to have a "I want the part today, nxt few hrs" if a DD like mine. After going round one of the 3, 4 local machine shops (we have one in every town here where industrial reveloution started) I found a bring-it-&-wait head surfacing service. Couldn't believe it - 20 min from t. call to return. I had a fast food burg waitin & it wuz done as prommised when I returned ($60)! I will go back again.
I'd also say spend the extra & get the ford dealier's service manual but stuff is on line now. Learn to usea cellie to call it all up, keep it in the garage @ near hand. U only gota yr or 2 on me so I gotta tell ya, the kids taught me this trick...they even send pic to the prts house so da counter monkey (some never touched a car, just "look it up" on 'puter) get it right.
Reminds me of the time I went to Advance Aut and asked for the front brake hose for my 78--passenger side. I told him it was the long one. He looked it up and said I was wrong. I need the short one and the computer was right.So (AFTER DRIVING 25 MILES ONE WAY. I said the machine was wrong. I need the long one. The dummy said I was wrong. Then I got mad. Turned around and walked out to the truck and got the old hose.Throwed it on the counter and asked him to show me how to shrink it? That,s the damn hose I need and want. If you don,t know the difference. You don,t need to be saleling parts. You need to learn some about mechainc before doubting someone. Then another guy(who does know his stuff.Came over and asked me what was wrong.So I showed him and told him about his help.The guy said I was right. Then I told the computer know it all.He needed to get a real job and learn something--before saleing it. You hit the nail on the head Cris.

OP
OP
Bill_Morgan

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
Try Green Sales Company out of Ohio. Their number is 1-800-543-4959. Type it in your address bar and watch the video and he will explain all they have and what years too. Its a big place and they have made in America buy Ford.
Thanks for reminding me of Green Sales. They're a great source for those parts made of unobtainium, but, unfortunately, they show "out of stock" on the retainers I need. I found some generic Balkamp pushpins at NAPA that should suffice after I paint the heads the correct color.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me of Green Sales. They're a great source for those parts made of unobtainium, but, unfortunately, they show "out of stock" on the retainers I need. I found some generic Balkamp pushpins at NAPA that should suffice after I paint the heads the correct color.
If you could post a picture(s) Maybe one of us could find some for you.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Chris, go to MEDIA and look for 1978--351. They guy has a good bit of older bronco,s 79 on back. I didn,t see anything newer.

OP
OP
Bill_Morgan

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. This is far from my first go-round with reanimating a car or truck. I got my first car, a '49 Ford, when I was 14, and I've left my fingerprints on more than 500 since then, parts cars included, and I readily took to the internet era.

OP
OP
Bill_Morgan

Bill_Morgan

Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I went to Advance Aut and asked for the front brake hose for my 78--passenger side. I told him it was the long one. He looked it up and said I was wrong. I need the short one and the computer was right.So (AFTER DRIVING 25 MILES ONE WAY. I said the machine was wrong. I need the long one. The dummy said I was wrong. Then I got mad. Turned around and walked out to the truck and got the old hose.Throwed it on the counter and asked him to show me how to shrink it? That,s the damn hose I need and want. If you don,t know the difference. You don,t need to be saleling parts. You need to learn some about mechainc before doubting someone. Then another guy(who does know his stuff.Came over and asked me what was wrong.So I showed him and told him about his help.The guy said I was right. Then I told the computer know it all.He needed to get a real job and learn something--before saleing it. You hit the nail on the head Cris.
I once walked into a Checker Auto Parts store needing unitized points and condensor for a Chevrolet pickup. When I laid the old set on the counter, the kid behind it said, "What does that do?" I replied, "Excuse me, I thought this was an auto parts store," picked up my part and went to another store.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I once walked into a Checker Auto Parts store needing unitized points and condensor for a Chevrolet pickup. When I laid the old set on the counter, the kid behind it said, "What does that do?" I replied, "Excuse me, I thought this was an auto parts store," picked up my part and went to another store.
ha, ha been there.

I tried to get a roll of timing tape from western auto. Guy behind the counter would not sell it to me. Kept telling my my distributor was install wrong. **** I argued with him because it was the only place in town that had it in stock.
He could not comprehend, or did not want to. All the different ways I tried to explain it to him and I still walked out of there without it.
Off topic. Sorry.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke