Refinishing Factory Alcoa Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ablediver

Reaction score
Bronco Nation,

I picked up a pair of factory polished Alcoa rims, that were optional on 92-96 models. One of them has significant corrosion on the inner hub of the outside of the rim. The polished surface is completely gone and whatever was on the rim actually ate into the aluminum. The rest of the rim is in very good condition. I'll take pics on Wednesday morning. Anyone know of a method or service that reconditions rims ? The local alloy repair facility in Jacksonville, FL doesn't handle restoration of rims. Appreciate the reply.

Ablediver out

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I've never done it, but my buddy at work was doing his, and he used aircraft paint stripper and a lot of elbow grease to get the old clearcoat off and the corrosion. not how he got down to un damaged aluminum where it was corroded, but he got them re clearcoated and the look like new.
Sorry I don't have more to offer. Like I said, I've never done it myself.
Good luck
Cheers

OP
OP
A

ablediver

Reaction score
I've never done it, but my buddy at work was doing his, and he used aircraft paint stripper and a lot of elbow grease to get the old clearcoat off and the corrosion. not how he got down to un damaged aluminum where it was corroded, but he got them re clearcoated and the look like new.
Sorry I don't have more to offer. Like I said, I've never done it myself.
Good luck
Cheers
L\Bronco,

I appreciate the reply and the suggestion. I figure there's gotta be a wheel refinisher out there somewhere who does this sort of work. Financially, it may well come down to finding another Alcoa. Ford did sell a gazillion of these and there's a fair amount of them in this area. Thanks again for your advice.

Ablediver out

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have done a few.

Air craft stripper is the best start, get the clear coat off.

Then you need to wet sand any corroded spots. Sand them until you cannot see or feel them anymore. 400 grit works well. It takes a lot of time and effort to do this.

After that you just buff, With a power buffer. I like the wool pads I think they polish better.

A lot of work, but totally worth it. I usually take the tires off and pull the valve stems. Pretty good chance you will damage at least one valve stem.

You cannot do it all by hand. You need a power buffer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK