rebuilding 87' 302 for a 96' bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CT96bronco

Reaction score
I know everyone has their own opinions on a 302 vs a 351, but i have a 96' bronco with a 302 and a manual tran i want to start rebuilding. I also have an 87' parts bronco that has a 302 as well, the parts bronco was free which is why i am sticking with the 302 and not installing a 351. I would like to take the 87' 302 and rebuild it while it is out of the truck before doing the engine swap. My question is what issues or concerns are there, if any, will I encounter swapping a 1987 302 into a 1996 bronco?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey CT welcome.

The biggest challenge I would see is the engine management issue.   Are you just swapping the 87 block or looking to replace the 96 engine with a complete 87 (intake, exhaust manifolds etc.)  the point being the comp in your 96 will not be compatible with the 87 without a lot of sensor swapping and such. Some of the sensors needed for the 96 will not even have a spot to be placed on the 87. That is the big headache.  If you are looking to just swap in the 87 with simple electronic ignition and carb or aftermarket TBI it is pretty straight forward, as long as you don't live where emission testing and laws are active. 

Good Luck

OP
OP
C

CT96bronco

Reaction score
Thats what I had figured, I was planning on trying to keep the electronics from the 96 for the 87 but I will have to rethink this a bit. And sadly yes I live in Connecticut, emission is active up here, I have to worry about it for another two years till I can register the truck as an antique. I was originally hoping I could completly finish the 87 motor and have it running before I swapped, but if I have to use the top end components off of the 96 I guess I will have no choice. What about the heads will i be able to keep the heads from the 87 and swap on the rest of the components from the 96 without an issue? also the 87 came off of an auto transmission, mine is a manual in the 96'?

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey CT,

The heads can be an issue.  They may physically fit, but there may be unforeseen issues since the 96 needs so many sensors, and the 96 has a roller cam. the 87 didn't. There can be issues there as far as push rod clearance, valve spring height and pressure, etc.  I just don't think it's a good decision to put 87 heads on a 96 block and try to get everything to work.

What is the reason for replacing the 96 anyway?

OP
OP
C

CT96bronco

Reaction score
the engine is finally getting tired, this has been an amazing truck to own but the engine is still the original 302 now pushing 212,000 miles on it, me and my brother acquird the parts bronco and i figured with the spare motor it might be time to rebuild that and replace the 96 motor before it blew on me. i was trying to be prevetive. plus i am looking to turn the bronco into a off road project. but it's looking more and more like i will just be taking it off the road and rebuilding the 302 that is in it instead if trying for the 87.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK