rear window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
how can i change the bulb in my tail light if i cant get my back window to go down. if i use the key switch on the tailgate the window will go down and up only about a half an inch the glass seems to shift to the left any ideas will be helpful ...thanks mike

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
Hey D Dog,

Obviously you need the tail gate down to get to the screws for the side of the tail-light lense. The rest is easy.

As for the tailgate glass, sounds like one side of the glass has the guide out of the channel or very loose. or there is a part of the regulator broken. Need to take off the pannel and have a look there.

Good Luck

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo DOG, As RON ADVISED

Some tips by others;

"...If the glass is clear of the shell, but you can't open the t/g, remove the inside access panel & pull these 2 rods inward. Either unclip them from the center mechanism, or pull them like bow strings to release each latch. Make sure the glass isnt so high that it engages the campers groove, or it could break. If it wont come down, unbolt the slides from the glass, or the motor from the regulator to lower the glass..." Miesk5 Note, the bars are referred to as the Latch Rods in most diagrams

Source: by Steve83

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/160767_1

You will see the regulator (left side with notches, mostly hidden by sheet metal panel;

what RON mentioned, "guide out of the channel"; somer refer to this as the "glass ROLLER"' STEVE refers to it as the "slides"

and Glass Run Channel

in Upper right of pic

Also see

Glass Replacement & Parts Break-Out Diagram in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual; SAME FOR YOUR YEAR

"...Open tailgate. Remove inside cover access panel and retaining screws. Remove inside cover panel support and retaining screws. Remove inside cover watershield. Manually close both tailgate latches and raise the tailgate glass. Remove four nuts retaining tailgate back window glass (42006) and back window glass bracket (422B18) to back window regulator. If tailgate has heated glass option, disconnect two terminals (driver's side). Grind off four rivets, two on each back window glass bracket to tailgate glass. Punch out four rivets and remove four door window glass channel bracket retainers (234A46) and door window glass bracket spacers (234A44). Remove screws and pull out tailgate upper corner seal assemblies, one on each side. Snap out inside and outside tailgate weatherstrips with tool. Slide tailgate back window glass out from tailgate assembly. Installation, Slide glass midway into tailgate assembly. Connect heated glass wires, if equipped. Install back window glass bracket C-channels onto the tailgate window regulator arm slide guides. Position tailgate back window glass over back window glass bracket C-channel studs and install four door window glass bracket spacers, door window glass channel bracket retainers and rivets. Lower tailgate back window glass to connect heated glass wiring terminals. Close tailgate and cycle tailgate back window glass to ensure smooth operation. Install watershield. Install inside cover panel support (one *****). Install ten inside cover access panel screws. Close door and cycle tailgate back window glass to ensure proper function..."

Source: by Ford http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/stj1b042.htm

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
just want to thank you guys for your help....................i will keep you posted when i do this job on sunday im hoping when i do this job i can get the window to work normal on the key switch so i can go back to enjoying time with my family sitting on the tailgate and fishing or just spending quality time with my family......nothing like sitting on the gate with your wife or fishing with your kids.........

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, Hope to get back to surf fishing on the beach (legally) with bette half, friends & da Bronco soon too!

While you are in the TG, inspect a few other thangs;

Striker Bolt/Bushing

Lubrication

Tailgate Check Cable; some break while folks are sitting

Motor Torque Pin (also called Bushing)

Torsion Bar Brackets; some break glass esp if inner bracket is rusted and snaps

Glass Rollers

96 tailgate parts.gif

Item Part Number Description

1 43221 Tailgate Panel Inside Cover

2 44890 Luggage Compartment Door/Tailgate Hinge Torsion Bar

3 40709 Tailgate

4 55962-S2 ****** Tailgate Panel Inside Cover-to-Tailgate

5 N805584-S Washer

6 43050 Tailgate Counterbalance Torsion Bar Body Retainer

7 391566-S40 Bolt and Washer, Check Cable-to-Body

8 43052 Tailgate Check Cable

9 383180-S40 Washer

10 431F52 Tailgate Upper Latch Striker

11 430A32 Torsion Bar Bracket

12 57472-S40 ****** Torsion Bar Bracket

13 43000 Tailgate Hinge

14 377105-S Clip, Cable Check

A � Tighten to 28-40 Nm

(21-30 Lb-Ft)

B � Tighten to 35-50 Nm

(26-37 Lb-Ft)

C � Tighten to 8-15 Nm

(6-11 Lb-Ft)

& inspect/protect wiring harness @ driver side hinge

see repair, part sources and many more topic LINKSs in my archived site at http://web.archive.org/web/20110818162609/http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=478

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
ok heres the skinny on my window . first of all i cant believe all the stuff that accumlated in the back of my truck it took me over an hour to clean it all out . imust of climbed over the seat 30 times and at 53 i rather have ***. ok heres what happened .first i loosened the motor bolts so the gears of the reg and motor werent touching hoping then i can pull the window down .this didnt work then i undid the bolts for the reg. still nothing .what was happening though was the left reg was moving about an inch the same type of movrment when i tried to put the window down with the tailgate key switchthe right one would not budge. so now im getting frustrated and im starting to bang and push and pull on things . still nothing. my last option which i didnt want to do because getting my hand s up there was really hard was unbolting the glass. i remember years ago someone saying when they unbolted the back glass it game down and curt him bad sort of like the thing in the olden days when the big cleaver would come down and cut a persons head off .this is almost the same but its our wrists .SO PLEASE USE A PEICE OF WOOD AND BLOCK THE WINDOW SO IT DOESNT COME DOWN CRASHING ON YOUR HANDS. also be sure to put the wood behind the rod that realeases the tailgate. ok so i got the bolts out that hold the glass in and had someone helping me let the glass down slowley as i removed the wood that was holding the window up that i used a chock pulled on the two rods that release the gate and its down . the problem was the thing i call the slide that bolts into the window which has a piece of plastic in it with a hole in it that the top of the reg. hooks into was corrodied and the plastic was not able to slide inside the slider when power was put into the motor .so i cleaned both sides good soaked it with wd 40 and put grease on the slide to keep it moving with no problem . thank you for all all help .................i sure learned a lot today oh yea by the way i replaced my burnt out bulb that had me start this all day ordeal .......now i can go back to enjoying my tailgate

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23