Rear end troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
90windsor

90windsor

Reaction score
Im really curious to hear what the actual estimate is. Like I said the quote up here for my truck was 5000 for both axles, if you guys are getting them done for 1500 for both, holy crap its time for a road trip. !500 bux I would get every vehicle I own done.

he gave me a total of $2752.81 for the following stuff:

4.56 front and rear.

brand new carriers

detriot rear locker

all new u-joints in front tbb axle

all gaskets, bearings, shims: complete rebuild

basically everything is getting replaced except the axle shafts and the housing.

he said you cant put a locker or posi in front bc you wont be able to steer and if you were on the gas youd have no control of the direction. basically, it can be done, but i wouldnt like it at all.

and he said add aprox. $150 to get my driveshaft remachined and lengthened in the rear

what do you guys think? i have till monday to decide.

or its like $1000 to fix the rear bearing, trackloc, and spider gears (everything stock only fixed)

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
$2800 sounds way too high, even if he's the only shop around for 100 miles. Find the nearest 4Wheelparts Wholesalers store, and get a quote from them to re-gear both axles. And tell the dude i said he's full of it, as not only do I run a spooled front but so do several other drivers in my area.

At any rate, I would do some shopping, even if your rig is broke down at his shop. It makes little sense to pour $3K into a rig that's worth about that much of you were to try to sell it.

Yardape

Reaction score
They always try to talk you out of it. (locking the front) Basically for liability issues. They try to be your father and tell you want you need, thats when you have to say look, this is what I want do it or I will go elsewhere. Then you can expect to sign a waiver saying that you take full responsibility for any accidents caused by the locker. For the average person no maybe its not the best idea but for those of us that actually know what we want and know what the trade off is we will say I want a friggen locker, lol. When I got my estimate I said I want a detroit locker front and rear, he responded yep nop problem I will sell you a rear detroit locker and the front I will sell you a detroit true trac, I said nope you wont I want detroit locker or you dont get my business, he argued with me saying I dont know what Im talking about blah blah blah. But I couldnt justify spending 5 grand on my diffs that I didnt even want.

OP
OP
90windsor

90windsor

Reaction score
They always try to talk you out of it. (locking the front) Basically for liability issues. They try to be your father and tell you want you need, thats when you have to say look, this is what I want do it or I will go elsewhere. Then you can expect to sign a waiver saying that you take full responsibility for any accidents caused by the locker. For the average person no maybe its not the best idea but for those of us that actually know what we want and know what the trade off is we will say I want a friggen locker, lol. When I got my estimate I said I want a detroit locker front and rear, he responded yep nop problem I will sell you a rear detroit locker and the front I will sell you a detroit true trac, I said nope you wont I want detroit locker or you dont get my business, he argued with me saying I dont know what Im talking about blah blah blah. But I couldnt justify spending 5 grand on my diffs that I didnt even want.
well how hard would it be to put a mini spool in the front if i didnt like the open? its not like im gonna be wasting any money because you have to change the carrier anyway to go with different gears. i read some info on the installation and i feel it would be easy on the rear end but what about the front with the ttb? how do you get in there? bc basically the diff cover is the whole drivers side axle half. or do you just slide the axle shafts out completely, unbolt the driveshaft, and put the third member on the workbench and do it? wont that mess up any bearings or seals?

Hey no worries, but whos quote was closer? LOL just buggin
im pretty sure yours was lol

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Let's see, $1500 to $2800 = $1300 difference. $2800 to $5000 = $2200 difference. I win. lol...

It is a job to remove the front diff/ chunk on the Dana44 TTB, as it requires pulling the axleshafts from both sides and dropping the 'chunk' from the back of the axle beam. Once that's done, you still need to set up the ring & pinion gears so they mesh properly and don't have too much play. I don't believe a min-spool is offered, either, but if it were the full spool would be roughly the same cost as the mini plus a new carrier. You do NOT need a new carrier if using a full spool, as the spool itslef acts as the carrier for the ring gear. You will need a new carrier only if going to new gears above 3.92, like your 4,56's, when you stay open or go with a trak-lok, Detroit locker ot true-trac. I have considered installing a True-trac in my d44 solid axle in the 78 Bronco, since thhis type of L/S is gear-driven instead of using clutches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yardape

Reaction score
I told him 5000 was the canadian price, said down there it would be 1500 an axle, which is 3000. SO I was just over 200 off. :-"

Justshootme84

Reaction score
90windsor, are you in Canada? I'll be in chat.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
90windsor

90windsor

Reaction score
Let's see, $1500 to $2800 = $1300 difference. $2800 to $5000 = $2200 difference. I win. lol...
yardape quoted me $3000. and it will probably be damn near close to it if i get a custom driveshaft also lol

so, how much would it be to take it back to a shop, say a year down the road if i dont like it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23