Rear leaf spring coming apart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott8

Reaction score
PXL_20230926_185254611.jpg
I after buying this Bronco a few months ago, I was inspecting the suspension and noticed my driver side rear leaf spring is missing some fasteners and can be easily moved back and forth.

To a novice with leaf springs, this seems dangerous. It also seems like this would cause the rear leaf spring to be too soft and less stiff (which is not the case).

My question is twofold: Is this common/not as dangerous as I'm thinking? and more importantly, what's the best (safest) way to fasten these leafs? If I lived in the states and had my garage and tools, I'd probably just replace them. However, I'm active duty Marine stationed overseas with no garage and very few tools. And the mechanics over here are suspect (nothing gets done the right way). So I think re-fastening them would be safer for now.

Thanks in advance.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an opinion, not sure it is correct.

I think it is perfectly safe to drive. The pad it is missing only reduces noise and allows the spring to compress more freely.

the side to side movement on the different leaves is not normal and could very well be the result of loose u-bolts.

My understanding is that the clamps that go around the leaves is to help keep the spring together when jacking up the body, or a long droop scenario.

Hopefully someone else will have better info.

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
I have an opinion, not sure it is correct.

I think it is perfectly safe to drive. The pad it is missing only reduces noise and allows the spring to compress more freely.

the side to side movement on the different leaves is not normal and could very well be the result of loose u-bolts.

My understanding is that the clamps that go around the leaves is to help keep the spring together when jacking up the body, or a long droop scenario.

Hopefully someone else will have better info.
Thank you.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Scott,
FYI and for other owners

Symptom Chart — Rear Suspension​

REAR SUSPENSION
ConditionPossible SourceAction
  • Squeak
  • Loose mounting bolts.
  • TIGHTEN.
  • Loose shackle bushing.
  • REPLACE.
  • Loose rear spring.
  • INSTALL rear spring anti-squeak inserts (if none currently installed).
  • Rear Spring Clamp Damaged
  • Service worn or damaged rear spring clamp.
  • INSTALL new rear spring clamp.
  • Metal Burrs Rubbing Between the Leaves
  • Clip rivet.
  • REMOVE burrs.
  • Body Rolls
  • Weak stabilizer bar.
  • REPLACE stabilizer bar.
  • Worn or deteriorated stabilizer bar bushing(s).
  • REPLACE stabilizer bar bushing(s).
  • Worn or deteriorated shock/strut.
  • REPLACE shock/strut assembly.
  • Poor Riding Comfort
  • Worn or deteriorated shock/strut.
  • REPLACE shock/strut assembly.
  • ●Body Leans
  • Weak rear spring.
  • REPLACE rear spring.
  • Abnormal Noise from Suspension System
  • Looseness of peripheral connections.
  • TIGHTEN the peripheral connections.
  • Worn or deteriorated shock.
  • REPLACE shock.
  • General Driving Instability
  • Worn or deteriorated shock.
  • REPLACE shock assembly.
  • Improperly adjusted wheel alignment.
  • Damaged or unbalanced wheel(s).
  • CHECK wheel balance. BALANCE if necessary. REFER to Section 04-04.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
View attachment 31776
I after buying this Bronco a few months ago, I was inspecting the suspension and noticed my driver side rear leaf spring is missing some fasteners and can be easily moved back and forth.

To a novice with leaf springs, this seems dangerous. It also seems like this would cause the rear leaf spring to be too soft and less stiff (which is not the case).

My question is twofold: Is this common/not as dangerous as I'm thinking? and more importantly, what's the best (safest) way to fasten these leafs? If I lived in the states and had my garage and tools, I'd probably just replace them. However, I'm active duty Marine stationed overseas with no garage and very few tools. And the mechanics over here are suspect (nothing gets done the right way). So I think re-fastening them would be safer for now.

Thanks in advance.
Hey Scott
Tiha is on the nose, the plastic pads are mostly for noise and preventing wear between the leaves.
the side to side movement is not normal, and looking at the lifting blocks I'd say the u bolts are loose, this will cause unpredictable handling. push the springs back into alignment and tighten the U bolts. They may need to be replaced, but old and tight is better than loose.
Cheers

OP
OP
Scott8

Scott8

Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't understand what Tiha meant by "pad," but when you mentioned it too, I just spent 20 minutes looking up leaf spring pads and clamps on the internet. Didn't know they existed. I thought the holes were where fasteners once were. I'll align them by hand and check the tightness of the u-bolts tonight. I'll probably order the pads too, although I haven't heard any noise coming from there. Thanks a bunch.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't understand what Tiha meant by "pad," but when you mentioned it too, I just spent 20 minutes looking up leaf spring pads and clamps on the internet. Didn't know they existed. I thought the holes were where fasteners once were. I'll align them by hand and check the tightness of the u-bolts tonight. I'll probably order the pads too, although I haven't heard any noise coming from there. Thanks a bunch.
Awesome! Just FYI, there should be some metal straps around the spring pack to help keep them aligned as well.
I believe its 4 per spring. (Ish)
They have a tab that gets bent over to lock them in place as well. Probably what the other holes are for
Cheers
IMG_5366.png

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Hey Scotty,
If your still TDY (been there-done that)
then you may can improvise with some good quality, large steel hose clamps. I'd suggest X3 on each end. Won't be a bullet-proof fix, but should get you by just for around the area. Again, not survivable for combat ops or Mr. Majestykk stunts and keep a eye on the things as its a temporary patch to stabilize things until you can get back to the real world.
Improvise, overcome & adapt, dawg.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane