Rancho Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wokamonster

Reaction score
Hey guys, well its time to replace my shocks, I'm looking for some imput here, I've been looking at the Rancho RS5000, but there are some many companies out there right now Im going crazy, the ranchos are a little more expensive, are they worth it???? I gotta 90, 4 in lift, 35x12.5x15 General Grabber Mts,<--great tire, manual tranny, roll bars, and a new fast-back soft top for the summer, thanks guys...

I was just quoted $255 for 4 shocks

Also since im on the subject, when i bought the truck the previous owner tried to but dual shocks on the front by taking the shock out of the bottom bracket and bolting a shock on the outside of each side of the bracket{bottom bracket], and putting one long bolt threw both shocks, and he mounted a bracket on the top, i thought it was kinda ghetto and took one shock off and made it normal, it made it ride and turn better, just a little more bouncy cause the shocks are shot anyway, thanks again guys, Ride it like you stole it!!!!

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Well as for the price.... at the shop I work at

Canadian retail price out the door for 4 RS 5000 shocks would be $251.20

plus taxes.... if you are in the US I would be looking for a competitors price for the same shock.

As for ride quality, you may be better off looking at either the 9000 (for adjustability) or the RSX for a gas charged shock.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
First off, I want to say that the Rancho RS5000 is the best general-purpose, everyday, light-duty, offroad shock I have ever had on a truck. I have used them on every truck and suv I have owned in the past 20 years. I have never broken one, while I will trash Bilsteins and other brands within six months. Some folks will tell you that the RS5000 is too harsh or too stiff and will rattle your teeth on bumps. I personally like the stiffness of these shocks, as they soak up road bumps like no other. You should not pay more than $160 for a set of 4, as they list for $37.00 each. Check with places like Summit Racing Equipment (I buy all of my shocks and most parts from them), CheapShocks.com, etc.

With that said, I wanted these for my 6" lift on my Bronco. Could not find them anywhere, so had to go with the SkyJ Hydros for now. They are good, so far! You should be able to find Ranchos for a 4" lift, just visit www.gorancho.com for an application chart and parts numbers. Rancho is phasing out this model in lieu of the RSX and RS9000X adjustable shock. I have the RSX on my 85 Chevy, these are $50 each. I have the RS9000X on my 98 Z-71, these are $70 each. I tried both of these out since they were on sale from Summit, buy 3 get one free. This sale comes around a few times a year, as the last one ended in April.

Some F-150's and Bronco have the single-front shocks, while others have the double-front or "quad front" shocks which is 2 per side. IF you have the single front, I would go with the RS 5000's. If you have the quad-front shocks like on my Bronco, you might look at the RSX for that, or a single RS 9000X. You either want one stiff shock, or two softer ones to share the load. I think it's overkill to put 2 RS9000X shocks up front, even though that may give you the best ride.

G

Thanks for the input...I just cancelled my order and reemed the guy for trying to make his monthly quoto on me, gunna order thru summit as i always have on my hot rod, "Justshootme84"...what do you think of the RSX shocks? I have only a single shock on the front, do some mild off roading, and I am looking for more of a smooth ride on the road, RSX or 5000's ????? Also last nite I was wondering some forums and found a link from you about altezza and euro lights, I saw an

f-150 with clear front and rear lights that looked sweet but i cant find em anywhere, are the 90-96 bronco lights all the same ? Thanks for all the input, and compliments on your bronco.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
WM, I'm still undecided on the RSX as to it's durability. I can tell you that it seems a little softer than the RS5000, so if a smoother ride is what you want then the RSX would be a better choice. This shock is self-adjusting, although I don't know what the range of adjustment is. Undoubtedly less than the RS9000X. You still have a 1,000,000 mile warranty so I don't think you'll wear them out. They may be more prone to "shock fade" under heavy use than the RS5000. As I said, they seem to be doing fine on my 85 Chevy since last year.

THe 92-96 Altezza taillights are the same in size and fit 80-up Broncos and F-150's. The front headlight and parking lamp assemblies are different, but you can find some for your year model on ebay. I bought my tails from US Auto Parts.

A friend of mine bought four RS9000X shocks from NAPA at the same time I bought mine from SRE. He paid $520 for a set of four, I paid $230!!! Please shop around before you buy, brother!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
W

wokamonster

Reaction score
Thanks for your imput, Im probably gunna try the RSX through summitt, too bad they dont have their sale goin on right now, if Im not happy Ill pick up the 5000 on sale

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23