Problem Rust Areas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmcknight

Reaction score
I am looking into buying a classic bronco, and have found some in my area for sale... one that appears to be in absolutely perfect restored condition, new paint, new motor, trans, etc. another that states in the ad that it has slight rust.

My question is where should I be looking specifically for rust? Body panels obviously would not pose as big of a threat as the frame, so I'm hoping some of you can give me some pointers of where to look, good questions to ask, etc.

I'm going out this weekend to look at both trucks, and I don't want my desire of owning my first bronco to cloud my judgment and overlook a potential serious problem.

Bronc76

Reaction score
the areas that i had to address was the rocker panels,quarter panels along the seam, floor pans, behind the rear seat in the corners, and especially the tailgate. the drain holes got plugged up over time in tailgate and rocker panels. also look at the door strike posts and bring a small magnet with you to run over certain body parts. (magnet wont stick to body filler)

MUZZALL

Reaction score
The inner fender ( under the hood, the back of the vertical face of the inner fender) is another problem spot.

Bronc76

Reaction score
Good lookin bronco. The seller should have receipts with all that work that was done if he/she saved them. (you might want to ask) ask if there is a hard top that goes with it unless you plan on driving it when its not raining or its goin to be garage kept, and the rest of the hardware for the spare tire.

Good luck

william.jones2

Reaction score
Also pay close attention to the door pillars, where the door hinges connect to the fender. They may appear fine to the ***** eye but, look to see if the door sags when opened. Also check the top (if equipped with a hardtop), above and below the rain gutter. Make sure the raid gutter isn't totally filled with bondo.

Bill

bigbluebronc

Reaction score
Well As a more rough and tumble bronco trail only wheeler, I would say, know what you want the bronco for(wheeling what type, trail riding, sunny beach/surfboard hauler, rock crawling, looking cool at the local strip, daily driver)Then make your choise of all the broncos for sale, (do you need a top , hard or soft, is it garaged?)IMHO buy the bronco that fits you and buy it complete and done, and then make your finishing touches too make it yours..., parts for a junk bronco really add up in the long run, and since some people are in a crunch right now you might get a fire sale/good deal on a fancy/clean bronco...

Good luck hunting for the right B for you!!!!

BBB

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane