Power Windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Country

Reaction score
I just replaced my passenger side power window motor (by the way the rivets were ****) and i got her hooked up and she was working fine for a couple of weeks. Now the window won't go up. I checked the switch and it seems to be ok. When I run the wires straight to the battery it works fine. i Have checked all the wires inside the door for breaks to see if I may have some metal on metal. Didn't find anything. When I press the switch though, my dash lights and dome light dim like it is trying to work. I even took it to a shop and they did something to it to make it work but only for a couple of hours. Any thoughts on what this could be or an easy test to see if everything is working properly? I live in San Antonio and we haven't had rain for about 50 years it seems like but the last thing I was is my truck smelling like ass when a suprise storm hits. Please help! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Even though you checked them for breaks inside the door, the most common point is where they bend between the door and the front post. You need to get down and really tug on them. Often the wire breaks while the insulation stays in tact. Feel along the wire to see if you feel any irregularity in it like a bump or a soft spot. When they break like that they give intermittent operation problems. You can also do an end for end continuity check while moving the wires to find a break.

Attached is a power window circuit for a 92, not sure what year your truck is but this circuit has been the same for years.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
Big Country

Big Country

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I have taken off the rubber insulation hose in between the door and the front post to look at the wires already. Nothing unusual. I will try the other test though. Of course i was also planning on rewiring the whole truck anyway but that won't be for a couple of months. I will see what I can do in the interim.

89EB302

Reaction score
The pass. window on my 89 got stuck down one day when the door got slammed shut. I had the same problem (dome light dimmed when I hit the switch, which told me that the power was continuous and the motor was trying to work). When I took the door apart to inspect, I found that the teeth on the window regulator gears were side-by-side, instead of interlocking. With a little but of elbow grease and a scraped knuckle I got it back in place. It has worked fine ever since. I just don't quite put it all the way down anymore, just in case.

This may not be of any help for you, but it is definitely something to check.

wtfdissux

Reaction score
I agree with 89EB302 since the lights are dimming power is going to the motor and is binding do the check at the gear mesh if its good remove the motor and verify that the regulator moves freely without binding and go from theremay even be that the motor is good and the regulator is shot or the glass runs are mis- aligned

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula