Overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Hello everyone my issue is my temp gauge will float back in forth while driving and top radiator hose will collapse like it's being squeezed and no heat my bronco is 1990 with 351 here is what I've done over the last six months.I had the coolant flushed changed the radiator, temp sensor,thermostat,new gauge,hoses,Water pump about a yr old.I have checked for the basics for blown head gasket like oil in the coolant dont smoke does have a little mis in it while idling And not losing coolant from what I can see.I took it in for the coolant flush and the mechanic told me it's possible its the head gasket because it was boiling as he was re-filling it.I can let the truck idle for an hour without it overheating until I drive it then the gauge will read 250 then back to 190 and proceed to do so while driving,any ideas I'm at a loss here any tests I can run or info would be great.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"...the mechanic told me it's possible its the head gasket because it was boiling as he was re-filling it."

I find this hard to believe.... :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

RU sure the T-stat isn't in upsidedown...?

Sure sounds like something is blocking the flo. Did they flush the block as well., or just the radiator..?

A blown head gasket would likely show on the spark plug..., & water would drip fr. the exhaust pipe...or steam would come out.

And., it would run a bit odd/rough.

Do fill-in your info. pages.

Don't know if/where you get parts....but stay away fr. "China-Zone" for anything that can get you stuck... [-X :-B

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Had it done at belle tire flushed the whole system also have steam fogging up the Windows inside the cab

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"also have steam fogging up the Windows inside the cab"

That would be a cracked hose on the heater core., or the core itself leaking.

Not uncommon. (most likely the core)

BTW., that usually "stinks" & can run down & soak into carpets. You can bypass the heater 'til you can fix it.

DNBELOWBRONCO

Reaction score
I was going to suggest maybe some gasket sealant was keeping the thermostat partially open/closed and trapped one heck of a air bubble somewhere inside the motor because of it collapsing the coolant hose. You would see some oil floating in the radiator and some white smoke out the tailpipe if it was a head gasket and it would run rough. The steam is probably the heater core starting to go and probably just a small drip now but will get worse so replace it or like Bully Bob said bypass the core with a plastic coupler till you can. Pop a new thermostat in and make sure the little jiggle valve is at the top because it vents out any trapped air. Double check the degree which is probably 180 but my '96 uses a 192 so be sure because some sensors are set to only work at the correct temp which may be higher than 180. It's a good time to do the bypass since you're draining off coolant to do the thermostat anyhow and you can cut the heater hoses in the engine compartment and couple them together. When you do the core later you can use the coupler on one hose and put one of those plastic Prestone flush kits in the other to do engine flushes..... >:) -Kevin-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23