not a knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

briarrabbitt

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm a proud owner of an 88 Bronco II xlt fuel injected with 130000 miles on it and I was wondering if anyone can give me a little guidance in a problem I am having. This thing runs great for an 88 with that many miles but it has a weird sound coming from it. When I first start it up there is this sound coming from I don't know where that isn't a knock, kind of light chugging huffing sound. It's kind of gutless going up hills but aside from that and the sound it's perfect. I crawled all over it this weekend trying to find out where this sound is coming from but I can't find it. The guy that sold it to me said he thought it might be a lifter but it sounds like an exhaust leak to me. I had a buddy who's an army mechanic look at it and he said it sounded like an exhaust leak to him as well. From what I can see of the exhaust system it's in good shape with no noticable holes or anything but I can't get a very good look at the exhaust manifold because of all the rest of the engine being in the way. Has anyone had a strange noise like this that they could fix? I'm thinking the fuel pump or the filter might be the reason for it's gutless climbing ability but any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Twistin

Reaction score
I own a 90 bronco II with a 2.9 engine. I rebuilt the engine cause it was tired. It had low oil pressure and noisey lifters. Even after the rebuild it still has times that the lifters tap. The 2.9 also has a tendency of the oil pick up to plug. The only thing I found to help that was to change the oil & filter sooner. I change mine between 1500 to 2000 mi. As far as no power I'd look onto the "cat" that could be plugged, or partly plugged. this is just my 2 cents. Hope this info helps. Keep Em' Twistin'! Bob B.

Hey guys. I'm a proud owner of an 88 Bronco II xlt with 130000 miles on it and I was wondering if anyone can give me a little guidance in a problem I am having. This thing runs great for an 88 with that many miles but it has a weird sound coming from it. When I first start it up there is this sound coming from I don't know where that isn't a knock. It's kind of gutless going up hills but aside from that and the sound it's perfect. I crawled all over it this weekend trying to find out where this sound is coming from but I can't find it. The guy that sold it to me said he thought it might be a lifter but it sounds like an exhaust leak to me. I had a buddy who's an army mechanic look at it and he said it sounded like an exhaust leak to him as well. From what I can see of the exhaust system it's in good shape with no noticable holes or anything but I can't get a very good look at the exhaust manifold because of all the rest of the engine being in the way. Has anyone had a strange noise like this that they could fix? I'm thinking the fuel pump or the filter might be the reason for it's gutless climbing ability but any suggestions on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

OP
OP
briarrabbitt

briarrabbitt

Reaction score
Thanks! I talked to another guy about the power problem and he said the same thing "take out the catalyctic convertor" he also mentioned an air pump that runs to the cat as well and said that you can get rid of all that junk as long as you don't live anywhere that requires an emmisions check :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I own a 90 bronco II with a 2.9 engine. I rebuilt the engine cause it was tired. It had low oil pressure and noisey lifters. Even after the rebuild it still has times that the lifters tap. The 2.9 also has a tendency of the oil pick up to plug. The only thing I found to help that was to change the oil & filter sooner. I change mine between 1500 to 2000 mi. As far as no power I'd look onto the "cat" that could be plugged, or partly plugged. this is just my 2 cents. Hope this info helps. Keep Em' Twistin'! Bob B.

Twistin

Reaction score
I owned an 89 plus this 90 and neither one had an air pump (2.9). I can't say what the earlier models (2.8 carb & injection) had. (I can't recall). Keep Em' Twistin'! Bob B.

Thanks! I talked to another guy about the power problem and he said the same thing "take out the catalyctic convertor" he also mentioned an air pump that runs to the cat as well and said that you can get rid of all that junk as long as you don't live anywhere that requires and emmisions check :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Topic moved to appropriate forum, JSM84

An exhaust leak from a cracked manifold or loose y-pipe is usually a "ticking" sound, while it can sound like a lifter. Try using a 3-4' length of hose to listen to the engine for sounds. PLace one end on various parts of the engine, like the valve cover or manifold, and th eother to your ear. Just beware of the fan and moving parts like the belt(s). An exhaust leak will rob power big time.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
try the old mech. stethoscope to pin point the area; use a piece ogf garden hose as the steh; ot cardbd. tube, etc. Tape it where needed and drive

timster24

Reaction score
on the 2.9 the passager side manifold likes to crack its behind the shielding for the heat tube running up to the air intake. pull that cover and take a peek lots of time they will blow outward.

also the 2.9 like many other ford 40deg get a ticking from the rocker arm area. therangerstation.com has heaps of info on this engine.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tsebalj