New WARN Manual Locking Hubs not fitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate882004

Reaction score
So, I bought the WARN Premium manual locking hubs and the a spindle conversion kit. Driver's side is great but the passenger side won't fit. The axle is coming up about 1/4" too short.

I have taken it off and back on a couple time to recheck everything and replaced it. I have over torqued and rotated it over and over to try to make sure its seated correctly. I measured various points to see what is different. The only anomaly that I can come up with is the axle being 1/4" short of the driver's side axle (with the driver's side being nearly flush with the outer edge of the driver's hub).

Driver's side is done...no problem.

I need help. I am stumped, frustrated, and out of time.

Attachments

• Passenger side Bronco hub 1.jpeg
    Passenger side Bronco hub 1.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Passenger side Bronco hub 2.jpeg
    Passenger side Bronco hub 2.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 4

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
When you say short, you mean like you cannot get the snap ring on?

Maybe the axle slid in and caught on the inner bearing or seal?

OP
OP
Nate882004

Nate882004

Reaction score
When you say short, you mean like you cannot get the snap ring on?

Maybe the axle slid in and caught on the inner bearing or seal?
Yes, cannot get the snap ring on. Maybe it slid in but I don't think so. I have tried several things to make sure this wasn't the case. Even pried the axle at the joint behind the rotor. It will not come out enough to get the ring on.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
So, I bought the WARN Premium manual locking hubs and the a spindle conversion kit. Driver's side is great but the passenger side won't fit. The axle is coming up about 1/4" too short.

I have taken it off and back on a couple time to recheck everything and replaced it. I have over torqued and rotated it over and over to try to make sure its seated correctly. I measured various points to see what is different. The only anomaly that I can come up with is the axle being 1/4" short of the driver's side axle (with the driver's side being nearly flush with the outer edge of the driver's hub).

Driver's side is done...no problem.

I need help. I am stumped, frustrated, and out of time.
What year is it?
I just looked on Warn's website and the chart says their kit won't fit 87-Early 88 models. (They don't say why)
Hope that helps
Cheers

OP
OP
Nate882004

Nate882004

Reaction score
It think the axle is just too short. That side didn't have any spacers either. Maybe someone worked on it and put the wrong axle in it. Thoughts?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I kind of remember having that same problem on my 96. Certainly don't remember what it was that solved it, wasn't a new axle though.

I am thinking it had something to do with the lock, or retainer on the wheel bearing nut. Honestly don't know for sure, but I do remember thinking that it was never going to work, they sold me the wrong kit, that I needed a different adapter kit and all those hopeless feelings.

OP
OP
Nate882004

Nate882004

Reaction score
OK GUYS! I GOT IT!

Had a friend come over. He looked it all over and then we took everything back off. We took a bunch of measurements and compared each side only to come up with the same thing. The only difference was the axle being shorter on the passenger side.

So, I took a large screwdriver and tried shifting the axle outwards but then went to the middle linkage and did the same. Here it shifted more. Then I went back to the outer linkage and did it again. It moved more. Now we were only about an 1/16" short. I was then able to have my friend apply some pressure to the axle for the ring chip to go into place. I was so relieved.

Took her out for a test run afterwards and everything is working great! First time she's had 4-wheel drive working in several years.

Thanks for all the help guys. I was so sure that this was going to need more parts replaced but all I needed was friends.

~Special thanks to my best friend, Dwight, aka Cracker (because he worked at Cracker Barrel when we met, not for any other reasons). LoL! He's always there when I need him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo