no oil tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Country

Reaction score
i don't have a tube on mine. i was told it should be in the timing cover but the one i have on there doesn't house a tube. i can't find a plug or hole anywhere else and i don't have any leaks. i have'nt had a tube since i bought. i change the oil EVERY 3 months though. i don't take long trips just because i don't have anywhere to go really. I just got to work and back. so far so good. have any of you heard of the dip tck tube in the timing cover? Any pics on what one would look like? Thanks!

Yardape

Reaction score
The dipstick tube was in the timing cover on the older engines. '83 is the first year for the tube in the block. If you look under the truck up at the oil pan approx right under the #4 cylinder, you should see a dimple in the oil pan, thats where the dipstick goes through. If you can get your hand up there you should feel a cutout with a hole in it, thats the dipstick hole. Some actually go in through the side of the oil pan. Come to think of it, I dont remember seeing any trucks with the dipstick in the timing cover, that might have been limited to cars only. Someone might have changed parts around before you got the truck, put the oilpan from an engine that has the dipstick hole on an engine without the hole. Know what I mean? LOL

broncobob58

Reaction score
i do know what you mean. I may have to go to a brono graveyard aroung the city here in SA, TX
If you look on the driver side of the oil pan where Yardape said you may even see remnants of a broken dipstick tube or a hole where there should be one.For whatever reason someone may have removed it and never replaced it.The v8 trucks use rear sump oil pans and the cars use front sump or kind of a dual sump setup on some.The older ford car v8's are the ones (up to late seventies) that have the front sump,these are the ones that have the dipstick tube in the timing cover.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula