New member in Connecticut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikefamig

Reaction score
I'm new here to the group but have been turning wrenches for over fifty years now. I earned a living as a mechanic and machinist and toolmaker in my early years and have been doing my own auto mechanics all of my life.

Recently I came into a 1989 Eddie Bauer Bronco survivor. It was bought new by my father-in-law and has been in a heated garage all of it's life. The car has 46,000 original miles and is a true survivor with no collision or rust work ever done to it. It had been sitting for many years when it came to me.

That is not to say that it didn't need work when it came to me. I have replaced the brakes/calipers/rotors and a couple of brake lines, repacked front wheel bearings, 193deg thermostat (broke the bolts and had to extract) , battery, starter relay, iac valve, map sensor, door lock solenoid, serpentine belt, egr solenoid, LOF, air filter, fuel filter and assorted bulbs and adjustments. Its' running pretty nicely now but I'm still working on the fuel and emission systems.

This is not a great photo but it is all that is handy right now

IMG_6343.jpg

I will say thanks in advance because I need some help with the fuel and emission stuff because I am just learning this stuff. I have a 1964 motorcycle and a 1968 Camaro and am good with carburetors but not so much with EFI and 80's vintage thermactor.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. You,ll find some nice people to help you hear.. Good looking bronco you have their.

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. You,ll find some nice people to help you hear.. Good looking bronco you have their.

Thanks johnnyreb

The photo does't do the car justice. The interior and exterior are mint other than a few exterior dings.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Dam ... she is a real beauty

He must have not driven it in the winter EVER!!

These is very easy to turn wrenches on ... especially without rust.

Ford makes engines to last 300,000 miles..... but tranny's to last 120,000 miles. Keep that tranny running nice and cool to prolong the life span.

When you pack loads of sensors and electronics into a automatic transmission ... it is destined to fail.

Kind of like the difference between a desktop computer and a lap top computer. Same components in both.... but the desktop has soooo much more room to allow the components to keep cool. Resulting in desktops lasting 3 times longer than laptops.

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
Dam ... she is a real beauty

He must have not driven it in the winter EVER!!

These is very easy to turn wrenches on ... especially without rust.

Ford makes engines to last 300,000 miles..... but tranny's to last 120,000 miles. Keep that tranny running nice and cool to prolong the life span.

When you pack loads of sensors and electronics into a automatic transmission ... it is destined to fail.

Kind of like the difference between a desktop computer and a lap top computer. Same components in both.... but the desktop has soooo much more room to allow the components to keep cool. Resulting in desktops lasting 3 times longer than laptops.

True that the Bronco was mostly a garage queen. It was bought to tow his car trailer to shows in the fair weather. The engine and drive train seem very strong except that the transmission sometimes is hesitant to downshift when slowing to a stop. I read that backing up fast can help that and I think that it has!....at least so far.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Mighty good find there & welcome aboard.
You'll discover the resources on the forum here to be top shelf, sorta like having a Alldata source handy.
The keepers of the sacred knowledge & know how here are gurus, indeed. 👳‍♂️

jdabnabe

Reaction score
Welcome, nice Bronco. Sound like you are having just about the same problems I had.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Mike,
Welcome to our site!
See my mostly recovered View attachment 202203
site by schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO

Here is the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM via member mrnewland1 and recovered by schwim in Google Drive @
Unfortunately the previous 1989 Bronco & Ford Truck Emission & Pre-Delivety files aren't obtainable by us, but will continue to find.

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure @. http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/ford/89bronco.html

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary @ https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/lubricant-specifications.html

Al

L\Bronco

Reaction score
True that the Bronco was mostly a garage queen. It was bought to tow his car trailer to shows in the fair weather. The engine and drive train seem very strong except that the transmission sometimes is hesitant to downshift when slowing to a stop. I read that backing up fast can help that and I think that it has!....at least so far.
Delayed downshifting at stops sounds like a sticking governor valve. My suggestion would be a simple trans service, fresh fluid and filter will likely clear up the shifting woes. (Especially at that low mileage)
Really nice rig!!
Cheers

chrlsful

Reaction score
Will this B out in inclimate weather?
We use fluid film and
but get coupla hudred bucks for undercoating. Doin near 1 a day this Xa yr.
U can get 4 - 5 cans at local big bx store if having a lift and 'go to town'.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom