New buyer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robertwesley

Reaction score
I am in the process of looking to buy a Bronco..full size. With all the many changes through the years, I’m looking for help in deciding which yr to chase! I know there are thoughts on 302 vs 352 Windsor, but what else should I look for or stay away from? I know the OBD II came out in CA Broncos in ‘95 and the rest of the country in’96...is this something I should prefer? The engine change in ‘94? I’m not a mechanic and the Bronco would be my 2nd vehicle used for back roads, hunting and having fun rebuilding/restoring...don’t need a show stopper-collector but dependable ! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! New here so thanks for your help!!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Robert,
Welcome!
We have a 96, bought new. OBD II has well documented tests available to us DIYers vs previous years.

The firing order for 87-93 5.0 vehicles is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. If #7 and #8, or #2 and #4 spark plug wires are routed next to each other at the separation bracket, an induction crossfire condition can occur. Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise ----------
The firing order for 1994 through 1996 5.0 and 5.8 vehicles is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. On these vehicles the #1 and #3, or #5 and #6 spark plug wires must be separated to eliminate the possibility of an induction crossfire. To eliminate the possibility of the coil wire becoming disconnected, route the coil wire under the spark plug wires at the distributor cap. Distributor rotation: Counterclockwise

Source: by Tank92 (Tank)

96 is same as most earlier years especially 92-95, except for:
92 through 95 uses the Electronic Engine Control, version Four (EEC-IV, aka On Board Diagnostics (OBD-I)) engine management computer.
96 uses the OBD-II (EEC-V) engine management computer;
4WABS (93-96);

RABS (87-92);

Air Bag (94-96);

3 Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensors in 96 Federal emissions and one more in 96 California Emissions

3 ***** Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96); Spark Plug Wire Routing & Firing Order (The firing order for 1987-1993 5.0Ls is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The firing order for 1994- 96 5.0Ls & all 5.8Ls is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.);
R134a in 94-96;

2-piece Spindle Rolling Diaphragm Seal (RDS) used on 5/95 to 96 Broncos & F Series 1/2-ton 4WD;

Ford added Crankshaft Position Sensor, aka misfire detection sensor and the tone ring in 96. The misfire sensor is an electromagnetic inductance coil similar in operation to a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. A four-point stator, or pulse ring, located behind the crankshaft damper generates an electrical impulse in the sensor at each 90 degrees of rotation. The powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) monitors the sensor pulses and flags any misfire events. When a specified number of misfires occur within a certain time frame, the powertrain control module will alert the driver to the condition by turning on the CEL.

Most 92-95 Speed Density (SD) EFI uses a Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP), a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) & an Air Intake Temperature Sender (ACT) that gives the engine certain volumetric efficiencies over it's RPM range. SD EFI also uses what is called bank fire injection. 4 injectors are fired at one time on each side of the engine (only 2 wires for firing injectors from EEC-IV).

Mass Air Electronic Fuel Injection (MAF), aka Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection (SEFI):
in all 94 5.0 & 95 5.0
most 95 5.8 are SD

95 5.0 & 4.9 & 5.8 California models are MAF

and all 96s are MAF.
Need to verify other Bronco years/engines.
Mass Air directly reads the mass of air (or number of molecules of air). By doing this, it can detect the changes in the volume of air, in addition to it's pressure & temperature. Mass air has one separate wire for each injector & fires them twice for every power stroke of the engine. This makes the injector timing more accurate & will help emissions along with power.

96 5.8 do not have the Air Injection (AIR), Secondary Air Injection; Pump (Smog Pump), Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) & Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) Solenoids; Diverter, Check & Bypass Valves, Cross-Over Tube, etc. But 96 5.0 does have the system.

Only 95 5.8L California models & all 96 have the Differential Pressure Feedback (DPFE) Sensor instead of EGR Valve Position (EVP) Sensor.

The 96, Vapor Management Valve (VMV) replaces the canister purge valve (CanP valve) used in EEC IV. But the 96 manual still shows CanP valve probably because it was a late addition to the 96 production line.

The Speed Control Deactivation Switch (SCDS) in a 93 Bronco is located on the driver side frame rail, but in 94 through 96 it is on the master cylinder.
Still researching other differences.

1990 302 5.0 to 1996 5.0 302 swap Parts Differences COMPENDIUM:
92 through 95 uses the Electronic Engine Control, version Four (EEC-IV, aka On Board Diagnostics (OBD-I)) engine management computer.
96 uses the OBD-II (EEC-V) engine management computer;

Ford added Crankshaft Position Sensor, aka misfire detection sensor and the tone ring in all 96 Broncos. The misfire sensor is an electromagnetic inductance coil similar in operation to a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. A four-point stator, or pulse ring, located behind the crankshaft damper generates an electrical impulse in the sensor at each 90 degrees of rotation. The powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) monitors the sensor pulses and flags any misfire events. When a specified number of misfires occur within a certain time frame, the powertrain control module will alert the driver to the condition by turning on the CEL.
timing-pointer-bronco-5.8-004.jpg
Location pic Misfire Sensor in a 96 next to the pointer by

92-95 Speed Density (SD) EFI uses a Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP), a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) & an Air Intake Temperature Sender (ACT) that gives the engine certain volumetric efficiencies over it's RPM range. SD EFI also uses what is called bank fire injection. 4 injectors are fired at one time on each side of the engine (only 2 wires for firing injectors from EEC-IV).

All 96s are MAF.
Mass Air directly reads the mass of air (or number of molecules of air). By doing this, it can detect the changes in the volume of air, in addition to it's pressure & temperature. Mass air has one separate wire for each injector & fires them twice for every power stroke of the engine. This makes the injector timing more accurate & will help emissions along with power.
MAF Sensor pic in a 95 58 w/CALIF Emissions, same location as a 96 5.0
894590_1

by Subrubicon16

96 5.0 has the Air Injection (AIR), Secondary Air Injection; Pump (Smog Pump), Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) & Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) Solenoids; Diverter, Check & Bypass Valves, Cross-Over Tube, etc.
tab-tad-evr-coil2a.jpg
Pic by Seattle FSB in a 90.
Keep them all.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Part 2;
All 96s have the Differential Pressure Feedback (DPFE) Sensor instead of EGR Valve Position (EVP)
dpfesilverboxwconnector.jpg
Location pic in a 96 5.0; Older Aluminum Rectangular Version, driver's side above distributor, next to throttle body & faces forward.

In 96, Vapor Management Valve (VMV) replaces the canister purge valve (CanP valve) used in EEC IV.
P9050934.jpg

Pic by edamanski

Fuel Rated vacuum hose from VMV has small red tie wrap; it connects to throttle body just as the CanP did
attachment.jpg
My much better-half couldn't snap pics of the cannister.
It's mounted on passenger side Firewall where earlier years MAP Sensor is located. Pull VMV and sell. Save Fuel Rated vacuum hoses if they are fuel rated.

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor is same.
So is Temperature Gauge Sender.
After mid-1994 the ACT/IAT provision in the lower intake manifold was deleted on the 5.0L/5.8L engine and relocated to the air filter box. I believe this is when the name changed from Air Charge Temperature (ACT) sensor to Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor in order to indicate it's new location.

In general, the Bronco ACT Sensor is located on the lower intake manifold on Speed Density set-ups and the IAT Sensor is located in the air box on factory Mass Air Flow. These are the same sensors located at different locations with different PCM temperature programming values. This is one reason for some of the wiring harness differences between Speed Density and Mass Air Flow.

87 - 92 was the years the rear anti-lock brakes 4-wheel anti-lock brake system was introduced.
in 93-96 4-wheel anti-lock brake system was introduced.

IAC appears different:
90 5.0 uses Motorcraft CX1838
96 5.0 uses CX1666

Throttle Position Sensor (TPS):
90 5.0 uses Cx1228
96 50.0 uses DY780

Throttle Bodies appear different because Throttle bodies and idle air by-pass valves on all EFI (Port Fuel Injection) engines through the 1992 model year can be cleaned. But for those throttle bodies identified as having sludge tolerant designs or using service kit (F2PZ-9F939-A) ,cleaning is not allowed.

In At Least 1996 5.0 & 5.8, a sealant/coating that is applied to the downstream side of the throttle body plate and bore to minimize closed plate to bore airflow. This sealant/coating should not be removed or cleaned. By Ford

Fuel Injection Pressure Regulators appear different
90 5.0 uses Standard Motor Products PR15
96 5.0. uses Standard Motor Products PR162

EGR Valves are Different
90 5.0 uses Standard Motor Products EGV263 and its EGR Valve Position Sensor is mounted above
96 5.0. uses Standard Motor Products EGV613, but doesn't need to have EGR Valve Position Sensor, because it uses DPFE Sensor.

EGR Vacuum Regulator (EVR); also called EGR Vacuum Solenoid are SAME

Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve (PCV) are SAME

96 5.0 & 5.8 do not require a knock sensor, by Ford

Our Navy Federal Credit Union suggests using https://www.nadaguides.com for finding the "value" of a vehicle. But it's up to you to decide based on your preferences.

Order a CARFAX™. Although not all accident info May not be provided, other important info is provided @ https://www.carfax.com

VINCheck® by National Insurance Crime Bureau is a free service provided to the public to assist in determining if a"... vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by cooperating NICB member insurance companies. To perform a search, a vehicle identification number (VIN) is required. A maximum of five searches can be conducted within a 24-hour period per IP address." @ https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

While you take a test drive, have someone stay behind or follow and check for leak puddles, exhaust smoke, tire shimmy, etc.
Member dash_cam offers very good advice on having an independent inspection done at sellers location! If you cant inspect it yourself, post Location in the noobie section and ask members for their help or seek out an ASE certified shop in area to inspect it for you. ASE is National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence, read about it @ https://www.ase.com/About-ASE.aspx.
Find an ASE shop @ https://www.ase.com/Landing-Pages/Car-Owners/Find-a-Repair-Shop/Shop-Locator.aspx
Google each for reviews especially in Yelp, Facebook, BBB.

A

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Thank you for your time and help! Great amount of information! Something I will copy and hang onto for sure! Now for the interpretive question!!!...of all those changes and upgrades, which one are truly important enough or not to be deal breakers?? At this point in y experience and knowledge, much of your information is over my head (but I will get there!!) so I don’t know which if any of those improvements are “must haves”!!?? I see a lot of 80’s Broncos going for some decent prices so my guess would be that they still must be Desireable vehicles even without all improvements a ‘96 might have? I think in ‘94 they madd a cam change? In ‘95 CA made the switch to OBD II where the rest of the country made that change in ‘95....is that Syria “must have”? So other than a simple ”newer is better”...are there any reasons for a particular year or years?? Thank you!!

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
302 is smooth but lacks torque that people like having for pulling trailers. The 302 likes being revv'd more. 351 Feels like a truck motor and most people like that. But doesn't idle as smooth as a 302. Most people pick the 351 over the 302, but the 302 still has plenty of power.

Even though 94 was the first year of the Roller in a Bco the Non-roller engines still work great! I'm personally not a fan of the transfer-cases that are shifted via push button on the dash but most in the 93-96 ranger are. I like my Manual shift 4x4, And feel it is the better option. If you find a Bronco you like and it happens have the Automatic Front hubs they can be swapped for reliable Manual hubs later. So don't think of those as a deal breaker. I like having a Bronco with the spare tire on the rear swing arm. I feel that the inboard spare takes up too much room. OBDII Broncos are nice but I like OBD I MAF systems better. So don't feel that you have to get a OBDII Bronco. MPG is about the same.

On a side note, The Most common transmission in these after 1990 is the E4OD, I would have it serviced (Drain and fill with new filter) to prevent any failures.

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Skitter, Thank you for that great reply! That was really helpful! I was a bit concerned that I would be making a mistake if I happen across something I might really like other than a ‘95 or ‘97! It seems like other issues may be more important than certain years...rust, over all condition, miles, history etc? Givers me more options for sure! Thanks again!

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Skitter, Thank you for that great reply! That was really helpful! I was a bit concerned that I would be making a mistake if I happen across something I might really like other than a ‘95 or ‘97! It seems like other issues may be more important than certain years...rust, over all condition, miles, history etc? Givers me more options for sure! Thanks again!
Oops! ‘95 or ‘96!!!

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Oops! ‘95 or ‘96!!!
Just found a 1988...any issues with that particular year that I should be aware of? Also found a 1995 EB both have similar mileage and both have the 351 and both look clean. The ‘88 is through an auction so could go for $1000-$1500 while the ‘95 is from a dealer and under $7k...any thoughts?
Thank you!

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Always check the NADA guides when determining what a vehicle is worth.

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Well, found and bought my new Bronco! A 1996 XLT with the floor transfer case shifter, 351 and AT with manual hubs. Was really happy getting that floor shifter and manual hubs in such a late model! This will be my third Bronco...first was an’81 we bought brand new in AZ (351 ugh! with AT)...2nd was a ‘75 (302 and AT) we bought up in Oregon and third was another ‘81(302 AT) we bought in Oregon as we were moving to CO back in ‘94! This one has been a bit unusual in that I bought it online...I am in Phx., the Bronco is in Grand Junction, CO and I’m having it shipped to Cheyenne, WY!! Won’t get to see it til mid June! In the shipping process right now! Not my normal method of purchase nor one I would recommend! Wish me luck!!

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
I've agreed to buy vehicles over the phone w/out a test drive but I've still paid for them in person and driven them home. Buying one on-line and shipping it would flip out my anxiety. Hope all goes well for you and don't forget to post photos of it when it arrives.

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
I've agreed to buy vehicles over the phone w/out a test drive but I've still paid for them in person and driven them home. Buying one on-line and shipping it would flip out my anxiety. Hope all goes well for you and don't forget to post photos of it when it arrives.
Well, it showed up today and looks to be in the condition I thought it was...atleast the body is! Had it delivered to my mechanic an he will give it his thorough inspection over the next few days! I am laughing at myself and how i bought this...we will see how it works out! Lets see if I can post some pictures! Not much of a "techie" here!! Looks like I will have to go through my phone!!

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Here she is in all her glory!6B0F2DAE-96E3-4A65-AA17-B71E8F602C15.pngE69EDB08-20E7-4D12-AE6E-4E4F4B5651D9.png

Attachments

• D65C12B8-54E7-4CCD-AA7D-CE1D04711CE7.png
    D65C12B8-54E7-4CCD-AA7D-CE1D04711CE7.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 0FCB399C-F487-43CB-A83E-DB8F3B31D0BC.png
    0FCB399C-F487-43CB-A83E-DB8F3B31D0BC.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 5
  • F25F7A93-9675-4377-AAD0-122AD64EDE98.png
    F25F7A93-9675-4377-AAD0-122AD64EDE98.png
    6.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 1E5A2D52-BA0B-41DD-97D1-95DCC154CB8C.png
    1E5A2D52-BA0B-41DD-97D1-95DCC154CB8C.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 5
  • FD859275-1163-41EA-9D3B-F126E41B9F8B.png
    FD859275-1163-41EA-9D3B-F126E41B9F8B.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 4
OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Besides all fluid changes, ball joints, steering components, u joints, belts and hoses, is there anything else that should be definitely checked? Thanks!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Robert,
Yes!
ASAP, find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work completed by dealership. Call local dealer or register and view status @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site; or @ Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) ... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Thank you for that reminder! I have read your recommendations on this before so I have it down as a must do! I am quite anxious to touch feel and smell my new adventure truck! Have to laugh at how many “rules of car buying” I broke!!!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Robert,

I imagine your mechanic will address the battery post and cable clamp corrosion.
I still have the original positive plastic guard to prevent "helpers" who tend to use the battery as a tool holder.
Battery Terminal Guards Part Number : NW 728197

Battery Terminal Guards
Part #: NW 728197
Line: NAPA Wire Products
Battery Terminal Guards

Online Price (USD):
$3.49

The engine components look good as far as my poor eyesight can tell.
Everything in engine bay is very clean. If there is a Check Eungine Light soon, suspect connector terminal corrosion because some sellers spray the bay down with too much engine cleaner. Gunk advises "Cover all sensitive equipment to protect them from water during rinsing (i.e. alternator, ECU, exposed wires)."

Your Bronco looks fab!

Good fortune with your 96!

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
The Body looks amazing in those photos.

Don't forget to check door pins and the passanger side of the dash for that clip in there that likes to break.

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! The battery cables will be replaced and upgraded. I have had several battery cable incidents in the past few years with my Deisel trucks...they seem to be HIGHLY sensitive to ANY irregularities in the electrical systems!! Did not know about the dash clip and hadn’t even thought of the door pins! Will both go on my check list! Do you have any thoughts on lift kits? I am thinking of mild...2 1/2-3 inches and was wondering if that small of a lift will still require longer shocks, lengthened drive shafts, drag link mods etc?
Thanks again!

OP
OP
R

Robertwesley

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! The battery cables will be replaced and upgraded. I have had several battery cable incidents in the past few years with my Deisel trucks...they seem to be HIGHLY sensitive to ANY irregularities in the electrical systems!! Did not know about the dash clip and hadn’t even thought of the door pins! Will both go on my check list! Do you have any thoughts on lift kits? I am thinking of mild...2 1/2-3 inches and was wondering if that small of a lift will still require longer shocks, lengthened drive shafts, drag link mods etc?
Thanks again!
Follow up...truck was born in Michigan ( American made!!!) and lived its entire life in Grand Junction, CO which is pretty Sri and mostly snow free. So don’t know it clean engine bay in “bunked” or not...will know better when I get home! Thanks for that tip!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke