Mudding Questions-Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednek

Reaction score
I basically have a stock engine- (not including exhaust,cam,etc.) also i have a stock drivetrain... is it okay to go up hills, go thru mud,etc. with stock drivetrain and 37" mud grapplers

Is there anything that going mudding that I need to worry about on a bronco. I mean like messing up the engine...

Thanks Alot

Last edited by a moderator:

TotalChaos

Reaction score
if it looks to deep it probably is..... if you haven't been in an area before just take the thirty seconds to check the waters depth... trust me it is worth it... either that or make yourself a snorkel.... the last thing you want to do is **** in water and vapor lock the heart of your truck and then have to figure out a way to get it out of where it is, along with draining it and fixing what ever is broke...

OP
OP
R

Rednek

Reaction score
thanks for the help man but i know a shit load about mudding just i dont know much about the broncos flawls in the mud...

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
if it looks to deep it probably is..... if you haven't been in an area before just take the thirty seconds to check the waters depth... trust me it is worth it... either that or make yourself a snorkel.... the last thing you want to do is **** in water and vapor lock the heart of your truck and then have to figure out a way to get it out of where it is, along with draining it and fixing what ever is broke...
Yeah... like the man said!!!

Last weekend, I went mudding with a friend who had both, a lifted truck and larger tires than I did. HE went through the puddle, no problem, so did I, but it scared the crap out of me, cause the water was only inches from my air intake.

I spent the better part of the day, today Cutting out my fender and figureing out the best way to mount my home-made snorkel to my truck. I'll post pictures when I am done.

Mike G

Reaction score
For whats it's worth years ago I had a 76 CJ5 258 straight six. I have seen some links about people mounting engine driven air compressors. With the price of gas I would prefer an electric pump and storage tank.

What I'm getting at is that on my old CJ I did a lot of swimming and had an electric air compressor and tank under the hood. I rigged up a air line to the distributor cap running very low pressure. My guess is in the neighborhood of 1 to 2 psi of positive pressure. This was enough to keep the water out. Just a small hole and fitting and an air line coming from a regulator. I had no gauge so it was by feel for the amount of air coming out of it. Come to water turn the pump on.

I never had any distributor problems even when water was running in one door and out the other. My buddy had a CJ with a 304 and the distributor on that was mounted higher then the straight 6 and I was always pulling him out of water.

muddinlate86

Reaction score
to answer your ? ,the only thing that i have to worry about is the peaple who own the prop. im rutting up!your drive train is good engine is good,and i wish i had your tires.lol it all depends on how good of a driver you are and how hard you push it.the truck will hold up to anything,been there done it,just make sure you know your limits.good luck and have fun.glad your using your bronco the right way!

OP
OP
R

Rednek

Reaction score
yeah alot of people just throw wheels like mine and colorful shocks and big tires and shiny shit on theirs then just drive it every now and then thru the city. **** naw i got all the shiny shit but i let it rip!

aint there like a "water shutoff switch" that when it gets wet the whole engine stops...?

is there anything i need to cover up before i go muddin under the hood? so it dont get wet?

broncojoe you say it was inches from the air intake... you are talking about that 2-3" tube with a rectangular tip on it that goes to the air filter housing right.??? the front of the tube is right under the front of the hood....

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
aint there like a "water shutoff switch" that when it gets wet the whole engine stops...?

Nope

is there anything i need to cover up before i go muddin under the hood? so it dont get wet?

You can take a look at that "homemade snorkel" thread

miesk5 gave a lot of suggestions

broncojoe you say it was inches from the air intake... you are talking about that 2-3" tube with a rectangular tip on it that goes to the air filter housing right.??? the front of the tube is right under the front of the hood....

Yes. If that goes under water and your truck takes in a snoot full of water, it could cause serious damage. It is my understanding that water is not compressible, if enough gets pulled into the cylinder and the engine trys to compress it, it could bend a connecting rod, and then you are looking at pulling the engine to drop the pan.

muddridder

Reaction score
I basically have a stock engine- (not including exhaust,cam,etc.) also i have a stock drivetrain... is it okay to go up hills, go thru mud,etc. with stock drivetrain and 37" mud grapplersIs there anything that going mudding that I need to worry about on a bronco. I mean like messing up the engine...

Thanks Alot
If the water is dark or black its deep...I burried my 79 Bronco up to the doors one time w/12"'s of lift and Ground Hawgs 44's on it....black water will get you every time!!! B)

OP
OP
R

Rednek

Reaction score
wow all of that makes sence thanks alot...

i vote you as most helpful honestly..Broncojoe....

OP
OP
R

Rednek

Reaction score
im actually going to do my mudding with like 5 buds that have lifted stuff (f-150's ,tahoes,jeeps,etc.) i have 3 four wheelers that i do alot of mudding in so i know the holes..... thanks though

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23