lower control arms and ball joints on Explorer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
I need to replace the lower ball joints on my neighbors 03 Explorer sporttrac.

I believe that the entire control arm has to be replaced. Am I correct in that? If so, how do I unload the tortion bar, and consequently how do I re-tension it?

Seabronc

Reaction score
I need to replace the lower ball joints on my neighbors 03 Explorer sporttrac.

I believe that the entire control arm has to be replaced. Am I correct in that? If so, how do I unload the tortion bar, and consequently how do I re-tension it?
Are you talking about a torsion bar or a sway bar that connects to both sides, sort of like a giant squared off letter C with two brackets that hold the long part of it to the frame? If it is actually a sway bar, it shouldn't be under tension at all. They only create opposite tension when one side goes lower than the other to oppose the rolling motion caused by something like a swerve.

:)>-

This thing?

swaybar_98-04_xspec_zd5622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Gentlemen! Really? Nobody has ever had this problem, or know of someone who has, and can offer some insite?
Apparently not Ron. I would suggest as a quick an dirty, that you get a Haynes or Chilton's. More than likely there is a special tool to remove and install those Torsion Bars. You might try searching eBay for shop manuals for that year Explorer. I drove one of those, a company truck, for several years but never even looked at the suspension.

Elmo

Reaction score
Yes ron there is a special tool used to remove the tension from the bar then same tool is used to tension it again. Check with your local parts place for a loan a tool program.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J’s Bronco