Little bit of rust spots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbveenker

Reaction score
So i have one or two little rust spots that are starting to poke through. What should i do to prevent them from getting worse? is there an easy fix?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
So i have one or two little rust spots that are starting to poke through. What should i do to prevent them from getting worse? is there an easy fix?
yo!

Been fighting rust since day 2 due to road slat and beach sand sandblastin'

1. rust is larger than seen on surface, so be prepared to deal with once you begin; found POR 15 or Rust Bullet are best over-all rust inhibitors / paints (POR15 needs top coat(s) of paint due to UVs; RB is UV resist...

2. Some use patch panels avail at body shops or in major catalog incl Broncograveyard; LMC, etc.

where are the spots?..1/4 panel fender lips?..if so, we grind em out to clean metal, use RB and paint..prob area there is at seam betw inner fender liner and fender; water gets in there and begins the Bronco weight reduction process.

other replace entire 1/4 panel or tail gate.

some great repairs by many owners are listed in my site;

Panels:

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=432

1/4 panels..some with adhesive in lieu of tack-welding!

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=459

tail gate replacement

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=478

GL!

michibronc

Reaction score
Great post! I've got the infamous paint bubbling starting arount the rear wheel well too that I'd like to get on before it runs away. Do you need to get in behind the 1/4 panel and do work too or just on the outside?

yo!Been fighting rust since day 2 due to road slat and beach sand sandblastin'

1. rust is larger than seen on surface, so be prepared to deal with once you begin; found POR 15 or Rust Bullet are best over-all rust inhibitors / paints (POR15 needs top coat(s) of paint due to UVs; RB is UV resist...

2. Some use patch panels avail at body shops or in major catalog incl Broncograveyard; LMC, etc.

where are the spots?..1/4 panel fender lips?..if so, we grind em out to clean metal, use RB and paint..prob area there is at seam betw inner fender liner and fender; water gets in there and begins the Bronco weight reduction process.

other replace entire 1/4 panel or tail gate.

some great repairs by many owners are listed in my site;

Panels:

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=432

1/4 panels..some with adhesive in lieu of tack-welding!

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=459

tail gate replacement

http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php?index=478

GL!

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you want the repair to last more than two weeks, you need to cut out the rusted metal and replace it with new metal. Bondo will work for a while if done right, but eventually the rust will come back. That is easier said than done, but doable, fun and satisfying. Some examples;

First new bondo second new metal;

Good luck,

:)>-

Just adding a note, the new metal still looks like original , but the front fender repair I fought on a yearly basis with the rust trying to creep in around the edge of the bondo repair. since I was doing some major electrical modifications this summer, I finally decided to replace the front fenders with ones I have had in the garage for several years. Prior to painting them, I used POR15 on the inside to prevent the start of rust by sealing the places it starts on Broncos plus coated the inner fender with it.

Bronco_0009.JPG

Bronco_0005.JPG

Bronco_0007.JPG

Bronco_0047.JPG

Bronco_0050.JPG

Bronco_0048.JPG

Bronco_0053a.jpg

Bronco_00540015.JPG

Bronco_00540002.JPG

Bronco_modifications_024a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

madmax

Reaction score
it's usually less work to replace the whole quarter panel, buy a new one , take the old one off and do a test fit of the new one, modify as needed then take the panel to a paint shop and have it painted before you put it on, use body adhesive to put the new panel on, it can make up for small gaps if you had to repair the wheel well. thats basically the easiest way to do it, i had to repair the panel behind the plastic interior panel, that had managed to rust out along with the inner wheel well and the back of the rocker and the rear post at the bottom needed extensive repairs.

michibronc

Reaction score
Thanks for the great pics. This would be a challenging project for me! I've got no experience with body work. Maybe something simpler to start with....

How long to complete this? Did you use a mig welder, because I have access to that. I have a grinder as well. Not quite sure of what equip I would need. Any decent books to recommend?

te name='Seabronc' date='Aug 25 2007, 08:54 PM' post='60346']

If you want the repair to last more than two weeks, you need to cut out the rusted metal and replace it with new metal. Bondo will work for a while if done right, but eventually the rust will come back. That is easier said than done, but doable, fun and satisfying. Some examples;

First new bondo second new metal;

Good luck,

:)>-

Just adding a note, the new metal still looks like original , but the front fender repair I fought on a yearly basis with the rust trying to creep in around the edge of the bondo repair. since I was doing some major electrical modifications this summer, I finally decided to replace the front fenders with ones I have had in the garage for several years. Prior to painting them, I used POR15 on the inside to prevent the start of rust by sealing the places it starts on Broncos plus coated the inner fender with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23