Cast iron intake water passage rust on fresh rebuild...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wishmeluck

Reaction score
I have a rebuilt 351w flat tappet I had broke in a few months ago and has been sitting on the stand since. I'm finally coming back around to getting it ready to install and when I took the t-stat housing off to put the thermostat in there's now surface rust in the cast iron intake water passage from the builder running freshwater through the engine during break-in to keep it cool and I'm not sure what to do. Is this normal and something I can just flush after running a bit and it'll be fine? Or do I need to take off the intake and have it sandblasted (again)?
Thanks...

Attachments

• 20230522_120228.jpg
    20230522_120228.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 2

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You can flush it with water, get most of it out.

If you want it shinny new you can try a radiator flush, but I am not sure they make very good ones anymore. Not as caustic as they used to be.

But honestly, it won't hurt a thing. Fill it with a good antifreeze mix and run it. You will never know the difference. It won't create any problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke