Is it worth it? 87 Complete Redo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guermont

Reaction score
Not too long ago I bought a 1987 Bronco Eddie Bauer with the 5.0L 302. The Odometer reads 702000 so I was thinkin its gonna need some serious work. I have so far done.

New Brake Calipers

New Rotors

New Brake Lines

New Auto Locking Hubs

New Fuel Pump

New Fuel Hanger (In Tank)

I know that it is never the case, but I wanted to fix it up and wonder if I would be able to sell or break even at least should a problem arise and I need money.

I am planning a rebuild to include the following:

Overhaul the engine

Rebuild Transmission (DOne)

New Power Steering pump

new water pump

new radiator

New Coolant Hoses

new alternator

New A/C Compressor, Drier, Condenser, Hoses

headers

flowmaster exhaust

shocks

bushings (Sway Bar, Body Mount Etc)

Repaint the outside

custom leather interior

Rubber Floor

Reseal and relube the axles

MP3 Player

K& N filter

(I'm basically putting a new truck together one piece at a time haha)

Rule of thumb is that anything made of rubber will be put in brand new. Surprisingly since I'm doing it myself all of this including the truck will only cost about 5500-6000. The thing is that once were talking cash like that I could probably catch a 98 expedition somewhere for that money. My question is that lets say I fix it up looking and running like new, would I be able to get anywhere near what I put into it out?

Seabronc

Reaction score
Good question. The value will certainly be a function of how well the restoration is done and the market at the time you get ready to sell it. Also, how much you get for it will depend on someone who wants one and how bad they want it. I don't think anyone who drives Bronco's look at them as an investment that they can get a great return on later on. Most people that I know either treat them as a beater or have a serious love affair going on with the truck (like me). My truck's name is Rosie (most people wouldn't understand the reason for her name) and around here my wife refers to her as my girl friend :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> .

As far as what you are going to replace, while you are at it, take the body off the frame and restore the frame. I haven't done that yet, but is is on the list for round 2 of restoration. Do some things that give you more power to the rear wheels and an improvement in gas milage, like; Electric Fan, Electric water pump, having the EEC reprogrammed for better economy operation, etc. Upgrade the alternator to a 3G system with more output at low RPM and higher peak output of around 140+ amps.

If you want a larger potential market other than a previous Bronco owner keep it street legal, that means [-X don't do stuff that makes it emissions illegal. Some of that stuff makes it , shall we say hot, but limits your market to people who don't care who's lungs are sucking up your exhaust including their's and their own family.

That's my .02 on the subject :-B .

Good luck on your project,

:)>-

Seabronc

Reaction score
PS.

Welcome to the Zone > Post some pictures of your truck. You can also make up an album in the member Gallery.

Good luck,

>

silicon_bronco

Reaction score
" Surprisingly since I'm doing it myself all of this including the truck will only cost about 5500-6000. The thing is that once were talking cash like that I could probably catch a 98 expedition somewhere for that money. My question is that lets say I fix it up looking and running like new, would I be able to get anywhere near what I put into it out? "
After doing that kind of work, why would you want to release your self it? You would more or less have a new 4x4 and a nice one at that. Over all I don't think any of us would get back what we put into our 4x4's if we sold them. Time = Money and for the most part we would not get payed for our time and energy that we put in to the 4x4. The reward is having a Kick A** ride when done, not the money.

Now having some money to go out and have some fun may be the problem when you are done with the work.. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

BLADE262US

Reaction score
One thing youll figure out really quick is you will never get out of it what you put into it . Especially if you do all the work yourself it takes alot of time to restore a truck and time is money I get $25 an hour at work shop rates are around $50 to $85 an hour for work especially custom work . My 91 I restored looks like a 92/96 body everything is perfect and new I have just roughly adding it up $20,000 into it in just parts thats not time/Labor If I didnt do all the powdercoat work myself on it that would have been a butt load more added to the cost, I called a shop here before I built my oven to do powdercoat to get a quote on doing a banshee frame and they told me that if it was prepped when they got it and all they had to do was hang it and spray it the cost was $300 I was like **** no and built my own , Everything under and in that truck is powdercoated and custom , Now If I were to sell it you might find someone that has some cash to buy it but most people will need to go to the bank and no bank in there right mind is going to loan $20,000 for a 1991 ( acording to VIN ) bronco , **** with PLPD insurance they only want to give you $400 for it in the event that its wrecked ( one tire cost about that ) So if you do build it or put that much time into it I would advise you only do it if you really like the truck and have no intentions of getting rid of it , I love the looks of broncos and how they handle so to me it was worth it , But even I admit I got carried away when I built it but I have no plans of ever selling it . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

cowboydan

Reaction score
just think, you bought a truck not a house. if you want to make money, you picked the wrong truck. classics are worth money. houses are worth money.... 87 ford rebuilt... worth, not so much. people build 87 fords because they like them. i know my truck isn't worth alot, but i will never get what i put into it

Last edited by a moderator:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Blues is "spot on"...!

You're look'n at 50c to 75c return on the dollar on a "full size" if your lucky.

I've cleaned up 5 EB's .....for example....I bought a '69 for 1K & sold it for $9.5K (had maybe 4k in it, time & material)

1 early Land Cruiser (of 11), bought for $800....sold for 13K

With resorces & knowledge, you can make a few $ on these types of veh. or at least you could a few $$ per gallon ago..!! B)

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Everyone is exactly right, you are not going to see a profit at this point and time.

Just to give you an idea I spent...

1990 F/S Bronco $3000.00

Reman Dealer Motor $4000.00

Trany Rebuild $1600.00

Drive line reseal $2000.00

Engine repair $800.00

Body parts $700.00

That's $12,100.00 Too much? Maybe but I love my truck. I will never be able to sell my 90 for that much no mater how good it may look when I am finished.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
P.S. That total doesn't even include my time or extra parts I've added.

If I had to put a dollar amount on that I would have to say it would be in the neighborhood of $5000.00 to $9000.00. On the low end thats $17,100.00! I could've bought a newer truck for that. Keep in mind this truck isn't anywhere near finished!

cjbronco

Reaction score
Well, i have been "rebuilding" my 82' for a couple of years now, and I have figured out a couple of things in the past 4 yrs. 1) Your never "done" 2) your going to spend more than you want 3) more than likely, your not going to break even or get any return on it. If you ask me if I would do it again, IN A HEARTBEAT. Unfortunatly, fullsize's have not become rare yet and folks arent alawys seeking a fully rebuilt one. I have gone fom wanting to spend $4k to damn near $11k. Good luck man and go for it!

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I agree with the other folks, you will likely never get close to what you spend on repairs/upgrades if you sell a mid-80's Bronco, or most any other vehicle (with a few exceptions). Prices will vary from one part of the country to another, but a well-maintained or partially-restored 87 Bronco in good running condition may sell for $2500-$3500. If you buy one for that and spend another $5-$6K on parts and mods, you're lucky to get even $5K for it.

While the big ticket items to repair or replace are the engine and transmission, the little items like weatherstripping, bushings, brakes, etc. can add up very quickly. Unless you do your own paint and body work, a quality paint job can run close to $3K or more.

In the 4+ years I've had my 84 Bronco, I know I've spent over $10K on those things, and have much more to do. IT may seem like you never quite finish a project, either. As you drive and play offroad, you find something that needs changing to work better, or see what others have done to improve their rigs and want to do the same.

You can save alot of money by doing the work yourself, and searching the salvage yards and classifieds for good, used parts. Many items are obsolete from Ford, so you'll have to do that in any case.

My advise is to plan out what you want to fix, and what needs to be repaired, then detail the costs before getting in too deep money-wise. You'll get a ton of good advice from a forum like this one from fellow Bronco owners doing the same. Good Luck!!! JSM84 <)
cowboy.gif

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
I have an 87' with a 302...and someday it will be an 87' with a bigger plant and tranny. I don't care if they go up to $50,000...I'm not selling mine. It's been in the family since it was born...and it will stay in the family at least until I die. Word. :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls