Ignition Coil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_V

Have Bronco....need money.
Reaction score
So the ignition coil I had on my truck had a single wire that led up to what appeared to be a resistor or something mounted on top of the coil... the wire broke, so I just removed it. Now with all the problems this engine has in the first place, I can't tell if something else has gone wrong or if that was a wrong move taking it off...

Do you think that would be something I could find at the auto parts store? If so... what the heck would it be called?

Seabronc

Reaction score
A resistor huh! Did it look sort of like a battery with a wire coming out one end? If so, it was the noise suppressor capacitor. It has no function in the ignition system except suppressing electrical noise. Why do you ask? Are you having a start or run problem?

:)>-

crazyhorse85

Reaction score
Like seabronc was saying it a noise suppressor... By removing it all that will happen is you'll just get some alternator whine in the radio...When i added the accel super coil i removed mine but had to put an inline suppressor when i added the amp and up-graded radio nothing major..... B)

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Boy I feel stupid now.. LOL

Yeah.. truck is running like CRAP now... haven't had the money or time to work on it much, and when I was just starting it the other day to keep everything internal running, I broke the wire.

I haven't completely fixed the ground issue either, so I wasn't sure if me breaking that wire just really sent everything over the top.

It'll be a driveway decoration for a long while... having back surgery Dec. 2 so I wont be able to work on it... and the med. bills are gonna be nice too. :blink:

But at least now I wont wonder what I broke.. :lol:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Yah, that definitely did not cause any other problems. Good luck on your back surgery.

:)>-

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
Thanks. At least I'll have a well medicated Christmas.. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh, and I'm not worried about noise in the radio... there isn't one! LOL

OP
OP
Matt_V

Matt_V

Reaction score
I'm back... kind of.

Had the back surgery early in December, now I'm just healing up. Turns out the disc was completely collapsed. No wonder I was in pain!!

Still can't wait to really tear into the Bronco and get it runnin'.

It will be a while before I can do that due to healing times and income restrictions from missing work and medical bills. Ugh.. always something.

I plan to fix and sell my ATV (needs the cylinder and piston bored/replaced) to help with some of it, since i wont be riding anytime soon.

Just wanted to stop by and see what was going on. I hope all of you guys had a good Christmas and are going to have a great 2009

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23