Hesitation and unexpected acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
Hey guys I got a question for ya...

About two wks. ago my Bronc started doing some weird shit. I say weird because its only when I'm driving up or down hill.

Theres a hill by my house and you have to get off the gas before you get to it cuz theres a turn, so I'm entering the hill at about 35mph. Now when I get on the gas theres a hesatation.

The other problem is when I'm going down this other hill about 40mph (ish), the truck accelerates alittle bit by itself.

The only thing I can think of that I've done wrong lately is...I forgot to put my oil cap back on after putting oil in. And I drove about 40 miles or so before I realized it.

Could this of caused some kind of compression problem or what?

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
No problem because of the oil cap.

You should pull codes on that baby of yours. All you need is a 4 inch piece of wire and a friend who can count to ten. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Surging like that and changes in acelleration on its own is quite likely due to a faulty TPS Throttle position sensor.

Pull Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) From your onboard computer.

Your engine and transmission are computer controlled.

The computer uses sensors to tell it a number of different things and it controls actuators that push or pull mechanical levers (kinda). If one or more sensors aren't working properly, the computer goes "blind" and doesn't know what to do. If the computer can "see" but one of the actuators is broken and therefore can't follow the commands of the computer; the engine won't run correctly. The computer is preprogrammed with set values for each of its sensors, and each of its actuators. It will run a self check of all systems, like the space shuttle; it will compare its set value(s) to the value(s) it recieves from its sensors, and actuators. If any sensor or acutator is out of the "normal" range the computer will generate a "code." It will generate some codes on the fly, and others will be stored while you are driving. There is a simple method to "pull codes" out of the computer for one to use for diagnostic purposes.

Earlier versions of On Board Diagnostics OBD 1983-1995 can flash the error code to the dash board and can be pulled in one's driveway without any special tools.

Later versions of On Board Diagnostics OBDII some 1995, and pretty much all 1996 and newer, require one to use a code reader or scanner tool.

Some auto parts stores will scan your engine codes for FREE, you may want to call around. Some will scan OBDII but not the older (prior to 1996) OBD systems.

SO here you go...

How to scan FORD on board Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in your driveway

Howto Pull Codes 1983-1995 Broncos, Mustang, F series Trucks, Econolines, 302, 351 and more

OP
OP
M

ms_jetset

Redneck & The Bronco
Reaction score
No problem because of the oil cap.
You should pull codes on that baby of yours. All you need is a 4 inch piece of wire and a friend who can count to ten. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Surging like that and changes in acelleration on its own is quite likely due to a faulty TPS Throttle position sensor.

Pull Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) From your onboard computer.

Your engine and transmission are computer controlled.

The computer uses sensors to tell it a number of different things and it controls actuators that push or pull mechanical levers (kinda). If one or more sensors aren't working properly, the computer goes "blind" and doesn't know what to do. If the computer can "see" but one of the actuators is broken and therefore can't follow the commands of the computer; the engine won't run correctly. The computer is preprogrammed with set values for each of its sensors, and each of its actuators. It will run a self check of all systems, like the space shuttle; it will compare its set value(s) to the value(s) it recieves from its sensors, and actuators. If any sensor or acutator is out of the "normal" range the computer will generate a "code." It will generate some codes on the fly, and others will be stored while you are driving. There is a simple method to "pull codes" out of the computer for one to use for diagnostic purposes.

Earlier versions of On Board Diagnostics OBD 1983-1995 can flash the error code to the dash board and can be pulled in one's driveway without any special tools.

Later versions of On Board Diagnostics OBDII some 1995, and pretty much all 1996 and newer, require one to use a code reader or scanner tool.

Some auto parts stores will scan your engine codes for FREE, you may want to call around. Some will scan OBDII but not the older (prior to 1996) OBD systems.

SO here you go...

How to scan FORD on board Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) in your driveway

Howto Pull Codes 1983-1995 Broncos, Mustang, F series Trucks, Econolines, 302, 351 and more
Thanks Joe, thank God I have one friend on here! Talk to ya later. Oh yea, let me know if ya might need those ropes or chains. Later-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23