help with choosing exhaust and intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueJ7

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of headers and dual exhuast is good for a 74 with a 302, something that sounds nice but not too loud(wife will be very angry >:) ) and what are some good carb setups for the 302. I'm fairly new to modifying carb engines... so if anyone has some advice feel free to let me know. Thanks :)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hay Blue,

I took my '72 302 to a local muffler shop & had them install new tubes (& the cheap "flowmaster/turbo" look-a-likes) from the exh. man. back.

The tips exited behind the rear wheels. The whole job installed, for under $200.

It had a nice mellow sound at, & off idle....& didn't rumble in the cab at speed.

Headers...really don't come into play 'til higher RPM. I guess they're all pretty much equal. (some req. a cam change)

Carb/intake swaps can cause hood/air filt. clearance issues....& additional expense.

A clue would be your intentions.....street & mild trails, then leave it stock.

Pit racing, then lift, big tires, big carb., headers/cam, turbo exh.

Rough & tumble rock, then get your wallet out...

OH YAH,.....there's a great article (including "H" pipe) on exhaust in the JULY issue of 4 WHEEL & OFFROAD ....Page 90 thru 95...!

HTH

B

Last edited by a moderator:

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of headers and dual exhuast is good for a 74 with a 302, something that sounds nice but not too loud(wife will be very angry >:) ) and what are some good carb setups for the 302. I'm fairly new to modifying carb engines... so if anyone has some advice feel free to let me know. Thanks :)>-
I'm always looking for better,but as far as intake,I seem t always come back the Edelbrock Performer.I've been useing those for a lot of years,theres got to be something better,off idle?Evertime I call Summit or Jegs they send me away with that Manifold.The carb issue,I have gotten down to a science,at least as far as I'm concerned.I started matching the carb to the cubic inch displacement ,and the horsepower.If you study the charts for the major carbs,they break it down that way.I dropped down to a 470 Truck Avenger,and my '73 ,302,has never run better.I strongly believe that alot of guys over carb,as far as CFM's,and never can dial in thier engines just right.The only exceptions are the Quadrajet carbs ,that are around 750 cfm's,but have very small primaries.You'll see a lot of debate as far as super single ,or dual exhaust.I've run both.B.C.Broncos has a nice header,supersingle exhaust that they are selling now.I went with Wild Horses,"Titanium coated" shorty headers,and Flowmaster Hushpower twos.,with a crossovewr pipe,and duals out the rear.Like I said this is the best my '73 has ever run,but it may be mostly the smaller carb?The Hushpower two mufflers are so narrow,they really give you some flexibility to run your exhaust,they are a bit louder than typical turbos though,when you put your foot in er.

BANDIT <)

OP
OP
BlueJ7

BlueJ7

Reaction score
I actually want to keep it fairly stock, I'm not going to be off roading, it's mostly for show and a daily driver. I don't want to go into cam changes and things of that nature, just to much work for what I'm going to be using it for.

Thanks for the reply's, their very helpful

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23