79 Bronco Exhaust question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Melmac39

Reaction score
My Bronco is stock (79 Custom) but one thing the previous owner did was remove the cat converter and then installed dual exhaust to come out just behind the doors. I hate the setup. When sitting in traffic, all you can smell is the exhaust.
So I want to bring this back to original as close as possible.
Questions:
1. Did the 79 even come with dual exhaust?
2. Is there a kit out there that would best represent some sort of originality?
3. I don’t want this to be loud but if I’m going to redo this should I just start from the headers and redo it all? Suggestions on a total overhaul of exhaust.

Finally, I was considering installing a new intake, carb, timing to give this 351M some pep, but the more I talk to people with experience with this engine, they recommend trying a HEI ignition/distributor first before dumping at least $800-1k in parts that may not accomplish what I’m looking for. Which is just a little more power on longer pulls uphill because my Bronco slows way down and responsiveness is poor. I live in the Northern tier of PA and these are not mountains but I lose so much power going up a hillside. Any thoughts on this? Recommendations?
I appreciate it, Happy New Year everyone.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
My Bronco is stock (79 Custom) but one thing the previous owner did was remove the cat converter and then installed dual exhaust to come out just behind the doors. I hate the setup. When sitting in traffic, all you can smell is the exhaust.
Questions:
3. I don’t want this to be loud but if I’m going to redo this should I just start from the headers and redo it all? Suggestions on a total overhaul of exhaust.

Finally, I was considering installing a new intake, carb, timing to give this 351M some pep, but the more I talk to people with experience with this engine, they recommend trying a HEI ignition/distributor first before dumping at least $800-1k in parts that may not accomplish what I’m looking for. Which is just a little more power on longer pulls uphill because my Bronco slows way down and responsiveness is poor. I live in the Northern tier of PA and these are not mountains but I lose so much power going up a hillside. Any thoughts on this? Recommendations?
I appreciate it, Happy New Year everyone.
Yo M,
I haven't seen any info from Ford on building duals in the 79s.
The 79 Bronco Brochure doesn't address the exhaust system. 1979 Bronco Brochure @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1979-Ford-Bronco.pdf via Dezo's Garage

For a quality catalytic converter consider Walker Exhaust which provided exhaust systems to Ford for many years.
Walker shows the catalytic converter (see it below), however their FIND MY PART doesn't list the entire system, so contact Walker @:
Support Hours
Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. (EST)
Phone 800.325.8886
Email Address
[email protected]
Mailing Address
Walker Exhaust
Walker Technical Assistance
1 International Dr.
Monroe, MI 48161

You can use our Part Finder tool to check for fitment and availability, or you can find local stores and repair shops in your area that sell Walker products with our Where to Buy function.

PART FINDER WHERE TO BUY
(If your local auto parts store doesn't carry the part, ask them to order it for you)

Screenshot_20211231-093100_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211231-093423_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20211231-093411_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20211231-093431_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20211231-093437_Chrome.jpg

Performance:
Bubba's M-Block; 351M/400 Performance by Dave Resch @ Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop

351M/400 to 429/460 Swap Parts List & Tips
Source: by NORTH COUNTRY SPECIALTIES® @ NORTH COUNTRY SPECIALTIES ®

Ford Muscle consolidates the best resources for getting the most out of a 351M/400 @ https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2007/02/Ford400/index.php

351M/400 Performance Build Up.
by Paul Eschenbach. (Revised 10-23/02) @ http://www.projectbronco.com/Technical_Articles/351m400_performance_build_up.htm

Last edited:

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Don’t blame you on the position of the exhaust. Run dual on the 78 & 79, both exit the sides behind the rear wheels. Keeps the smell out of the cab. I’ve deleted the cat on both, and I need new quieter mufflers on the 78

outlawbob

Reaction score
The 78 /79 came with single exhaust. The truck being 43 years old doesn't need in most states a cat. If plan to improve the intake and other performance , most definitely run dual exhausts. You can run them out straight out the rear, turn then to exit behind the wheels, lot's of options. The factory y pipe is no longer made that i know of. But why would you want too.

Reaction score
The 78 /79 came with single exhaust. The truck being 43 years old doesn't need in most states a cat. If plan to improve the intake and other performance , most definitely run dual exhausts. You can run them out straight out the rear, turn then to exit behind the wheels, lot's of options. The factory y pipe is no longer made that i know of. But why would you want too.
i have a excellent small town exhaust guy where i live, he bends pipes to fit the vehicle, i had him put duals on my 93 302 and run them straight out the rear but later had him bring them behind the rear tires... exhaust would come thru back window when down... he also put duals on my 89 mustang gt... :)

chrlsful

Reaction score
2X most above^^^
BUT - behind doors is minimal.
Y not put in the cat w/its O2 for the ecm?
AND
never out the back (may B w/ dwn turns)?
Behind both rear tires w/out turns?
(full disclosure - no 2nd gen Bronk exhaust knowledge here, mine's 1st).

sinker4

Reaction score
Questions:

I appreciate it, Happy New Year everyon

OP
OP
M

Melmac39

Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I was talking to an exhaust guy today and he suggested from headers back just install new pipes through 2 low restriction mufflers to behind the back tires. Keep the CAT deleted. Should help engine breathe a bit more and increase performance while not being absurdly loud. Thoughts?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Mel,
Suggest you consider and ask him for mufflers w/ stainless steel heads, shell, bushings, louvered tubes and partitions.
ALUMINIZED tailpipe would be good too.
Our 96 bought new still has it!s Walker produced exhaust system, only part replaced has been the muffler strap.

Bob Smell

Reaction score
Single 3" exh flows 400 HP to the wheels pretty easy. You really don't need duals. Could use a single in/dual out muffler
and put dual tailpipes on for looks/sound. Really simplifies exh getting past TC.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/12288/10002/-1
I'm, the original owner, of a 78, and it didn't come with a cat. In 79, or 80, I put Cyclone headers, and dual exhaust on it. Around 2010, I had bought some Flowmasters, anticipating getting it running again, after it had a valve head come off, in 2002. I have ****** headers, that had to have two driver side tubes, very dented, to clear the Milodon oil pan. The ****** Headers' dual exhaust kit, hit the transmission's cross member, and I only used the two pipes, with the reducers on them. I ran both pipes, back beside the transmission, and switched to a Flowmaster Pro Series Muffler In/Out: 5". I have two 2.25" pipes, into a 5" pipe adaptor; so, it doesn't need a cross over. I have a 5" to 4" adaptor, after the muffler, and it goes over the rear axle, and out to the side. Yes, it was a lot of work! My Bronco, is dropped in the rear by taking out the overload, and one leaf. In the front, one wide spaced, and narrow spaced coils, have been removed. DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!

Attachments

• 20210731_165023.jpg
    20210731_165023.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210821_165558.jpg
    20210821_165558.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210909_183745.jpg
    20210909_183745.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211024_172734.jpg
    20211024_172734.jpg