Help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDMECHANIX9

Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to get rid of a front end shimmy I've replaced all the suspension parts inc bushings and all even down sized my tires to 235/75 r15's so it's legal here and the front end still shimmy's when i drive it at any speed :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Gunner

Reaction score
it sounds to me like it is your steering gear box. on your steering gear box there will be an adjustment ***** just tighten it slowly and then drive for a bit. this process can take a while because if you tighten it to much then you will be replacing a steering gear box. that is why you adjust a little then drive a lot. eventually it should eliminate the play if that is what is causing the shimmy.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
If the tires are ballanced, I'd look at the trac bar bushings. Its the bar that goes from the axle up to the frame for side to side control when using coil suspension.

Also make sure that the trac bar and drag link (steering box to tie rods) are angled the same. Otherwise you get bump steer. But it sure sounds like you need to recheck the tires for ballance. I throw weights off all the time and makes a bad shimmy.

G

Guest_MADDMECHANIX9

thank you for your input i have replaced all of the bushings ball joints trac bar and sway bar as well as those bushings . Now i've found that when sitting at a standstill if i turn the steering wheel the whole body moves from side to side any suggestions? I'm open to anything that could solve this problem I've installed new body mount bushings also..... please help [-o<

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
The only thing that will push the body side to side is the trac bar. Have a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth quickly with the engine off and you look at the bushing and mounts. You will find where the side to side movement is coming from. The 3/4" stud off the axle can come loose and need to be re-welded. Also the frame end has a drop bracket that can be loose or even be cracked under it. I'd take it off and look to be safe. I've heard of guys tearing them right off the frame so a crack is probable. I go thru these bushings 2 times a year. Best fix is to use a heim joint trac bar.

G

Guest_MADDMECHANIX9

Thank you will let you know what i find going to check it out now! thank you broncoholics .........

OP
OP
M

MADDMECHANIX9

Reaction score
update on font end shimmy ....... the new bushings I installed were defective and had shredded inside the trac bar since this replacement this morning all is well thank you broncoholics for all your excelent advice now i can go have some fun.................

:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
clap.gif
;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> although most places it's not kool by law there are some great trails and pits to play in around here yeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaa a 4x4in we will go