Fuel pressure regulator replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
i just got a new fuel pressure regulator and i'll be putting it on tomorrow. i couldnt find anything in the haynes about how to replace it. It looks pretty strait forward. anybody have any tips or suggestions before i get started?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo J!

yeah, it's srt8forward; info from by 1994xlt (Cole R):

"You must first relieve the fuel pressure. To do this, first locate your inertia switch. Mine was located behind the right kick panel,

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=...size&f=.jpg

It is a small housing with an electrical connection and a red button on the top of it. Once you have found the inertia switch, start your engine and let it run. You will notice that the inertia switch has a small slit just below the red button. Pop the red button up using a flat-head screwdriver through the small slit, it should cause your engine to stall. Or in my case, and your engine won't start, simply pop the button up without the engine running. Next, crank the engine a few times to be sure that all the pressure is released. Also unscrew the gas cap and leave off in order to help relieve the pressure. The fuel pressure is now relieved. Now, disconnect the cable on the negative terminal of the battery and the ground connections, for safety and to reset the computer codes.

Step 2: Locate the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail.

This picture was taken from the driver's side front headlight towards the back center of under the hood

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=...size&f=.jpg

Disconnect the vacuum lines from the regulator and remove the screws that are holding it in place. Be aware that the fuel rail may need to be removed in order to get to these screws on some models, I lucked out and had no problem accessing the screws and vacuum connections. You will need an allen wrench for the screws holding the regulator in place. A little fuel will most likely drain out, nothing to be worried about unless it's gushing out. Remove the regulator, but save the o-ring unless your new one came with another. Lightly oil the o-ring (do not use silicone grease) and replace with the new regulator. Secure the regulator in place with the screws and reconnect the vacuum lines.

Step 3: Next, push the red button on the inertia switch back down. Reconnect the battery. Replace your gas cap. Turn your ignition on and off several times without starting the engine to check for fuel leaks. Finally, start the engine. It may take a few cranks in order to build up enough pressure for it to start. I'll also warn you that it may still run a little rough until the computer "re-learns" your truck's conditions, but will eventually smooth out unless you've got something else causing the rough condition."

GL!

OP
OP
J

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
Thanks, i went ahead and did it today. it was pretty easy. i took out the air box rather than the fuel rail to get to the screws because i had taken it out before and knew exactly how it came out. all in all it took less than an hour i think.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, i went ahead and did it today. it was pretty easy. i took out the air box rather than the fuel rail to get to the screws because i had taken it out before and knew exactly how it came out. all in all it took less than an hour i think.

Good job J!

Is your FPR same type and design as what Cole showed?

Was there fuel in da red ac line when you puled it?

OP
OP
J

jsomedaysoon

Reaction score
its kinda hard to see from that pic but it did look alot like that one... this one is just like the one in my truck http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-93-OEM-F...sQ5fAccessories its not the one i bought but it looks just like it. i never found the fuel inertia switch so i was a little nervous as i was pulling the screws but i did have the gas cap off. Just a small little bit of fuel dribbled out not sure where it came from but it wasent bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat