Found Fix For Superheated Battery Cable/solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daedalus

Reaction score
Okay, I've been lurking for a while, and just fixed a problem I've had with my '84 Bronc for a while now. Thought I would throw it up here so someone else could save some time and money.

Symptoms: Sporadic problems starting the truck. Starter sounded fine, and it seemed that it wasn't getting enough juice to turn the engine over. Positive lead from battery would get so hot that it would actually melt the bolt on the solenoid.

I checked all the grounds, and then I tried replacing the battery, the cable, the solenoid, the regulator and finally the starter.

Fix: In the end, the issue was with the starter. The solenoid was trying to send the juice to the starter, but for some reason, the starter wasn't using all of it. So, the voltage built up between the positive battery cable and the solenoid, and in turn, superheating it. The bolt actually got so hot last week that it softened and began to droop.

Anyway, after all that mess, all it took was to replace the starter.

Some of you probably already knew this, but I'm no mechanic, and I'm sure there are those out there who are in the same boat and could benefit.

Thanks, all.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Okay, I've been lurking for a while, and just fixed a problem I've had with my '84 Bronc for a while now. Thought I would throw it up here so someone else could save some time and money.

Symptoms: Sporadic problems starting the truck. Starter sounded fine, and it seemed that it wasn't getting enough juice to turn the engine over. Positive lead from battery would get so hot that it would actually melt the bolt on the solenoid.

I checked all the grounds, and then I tried replacing the battery, the cable, the solenoid, the regulator and finally the starter.

Fix: In the end, the issue was with the starter. The solenoid was trying to send the juice to the starter, but for some reason, the starter wasn't using all of it. So, the voltage built up between the positive battery cable and the solenoid, and in turn, superheating it. The bolt actually got so hot last week that it softened and began to droop.

Anyway, after all that mess, all it took was to replace the starter.

Some of you probably already knew this, but I'm no mechanic, and I'm sure there are those out there who are in the same boat and could benefit.

Thanks, all.
Alot of times we forget and someone like you comes along and asks us if we did this or that. Thanks for reminding me.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo daedalus,
Thanks!
Speaking of lurking!😎
Welcome to our site!
Here's the 1984 Bronco EVTM, Emissions, Body/Chassis, Engine and Pre-Delivery Manuals @ Bronco
Scroll down to "or continue to website" and click.
Suggest downloading all.

Partial Bronco 1984 EVTM by Ford via Gary

1984 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Gary @ 1984 Bronco

1984 Owner Guide by Ford via Gary

1984 Ford Trucks Brochure by Ford via Gary

1984 Light Truck Data Book by Ford via Gary

1984 Exterior Colors by Ford via Gary

Ford 1980-86 Pickup Fasteners by Ford via Gary

Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI - ???Gary's Garagemahal by Ford via Gary

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

Al

chrlsful

Reaction score
OK, great but I don;t see a/the problem. May B its the 2 solonoids (inner fender, on starter). May B as there's no explination re: what was wrong w/the starter (as short acc what? a drain? how).
BUT, Certainly it is due to my lack of understanding re: automotive electrics (less so in houses as I have wired whole dwelling systems). But I just have no theory, no understanding of the components (I know the 3 or 4 systems, their function & components, but not how or Y).

What more can U say abt Y the starter was a problem?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke