fornt axle dosent engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakko101

Reaction score
i shift into 4high or low the indicator light comes on but front axle will not engage i got underneath and both drive shafts seem to be working correctly. could i possibly have blown lockouts? was told when i bought it that 4 wheel didnt work and wasnt sure why any help woulb be greatly appreciated. i went out and bought some warn units to replace them with is that a good choice? thanks again.

50joe

Reaction score
Would help to know what were working with, but I'm assuming it still has the automatic hubs? It's possible they are sticking, (which is a common problem). Try putting it in 4 wheel, and while it's on the ground, try to turn the front drive shaft. If it spins, its in the case or actuator. If not, jack up the front end, (still in 4x4), and turn the front wheels by hand. If the hubs are locking, you'll see the shafts to the wheels turn. If the tire spinns freely, may be time to rebuild/replace the front hubs. And yes, the warn's work great. I have them, and even though one is partially damaged due to a past bearing issue, they haven't failed me yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
Would help to know what were working with, but I'm assuming it still has the automatic hubs? It's possible they are sticking, (which is a common problem). Try putting it in 4 wheel, and while it's on the ground, try to turn the front drive shaft. If it spins, its in the case or actuator. If not, jack up the front end, (still in 4x4), and turn the front wheels by hand. If the hubs are locking, you'll see the shafts to the wheels turn. If the tire spinns freely, may be time to rebuild/replace the front hubs. And yes, the warn's work great. I have them, and even though one is partially damaged due to a past bearing issue, they haven't failed me yet.
i agree with you mr **** . i was having the same problem . i had auto hubs i replaced the with warn .problem solved
clap.gif

ThouBeezy

Reaction score
wakko, let me know if that was your problem. i am too having the same problem with my 88 bronco. the 4x shifter moves nice and smooth, but nothing locking in high or low.

thanks

Ricky B

Reaction score
wakko, let me know if that was your problem. i am too having the same problem with my 88 bronco. the 4x shifter moves nice and smooth, but nothing locking in high or low.

thanks
You have a manual stick for your t-case? Or push-button?..........

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23