Ford Windsor, Muncie, Cleveland, Which Is Better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bsnake

Reaction score
Hello first let me say i have been a bronco fan scense i was little 4wheeling with my dad and i remember him telling that out of the windsor, muncie, and cleaveland one was better then the rest and one sucked. Im going to be buying my first bronco tommorrow its a 79 with a 351 muncie and i was just courios if the one better then the other is true and make sure im not buying one that sucks. SO if some of you could give me your opinion that would be great and i dont want just one persons opinion so the more the better, or if someone has a link to a discusion like this that would help also...thanx

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Well the M motor is definalely not a favorite of mine I dont know how many ive seen with the cranks tore outta them . I had a 1970 351 C in a mustang and it was an awesome motor but hard to come by and I dont think it ever came factory in a truck . More so in the mustangs,torino,ltd stuff like that . The 351 W is the most widely used 351 ran from like 1969 to 1996 . The 351 C ran from 1970 to 1974 and im not sure about the M I never liked them so I never did much checking on them . To change to a C or a W in this truck you want to buy you will have to change motor mounts and transmission if an automatic and bell housing if its a manual . The 429 or 460 will go against the tranny you will have but I think theres something with the motor mounts that needs to be changed . In my opinion The 351 C is the best take a 1970 block and crank ( had factory flat tops ) and get a set of aussie heads ( 2 bbl heads with 4 bbl combustion chambers easily obtained through ebay ) and your choice of aluminum intake and carb a good cam and your bound to find a weak link in the drive train somewhere or spend alot of money on rear tires . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
B

bsnake

Reaction score
Well i do plan on throwing a 460 later but wont have money for a while so im wondering if i should go ahead and buy and just run it into the ground while i build up a 460

Seabronc

Reaction score
If you throw in a 460, you will need to upgrade to Dand 60 in your drivetrain or you will be reaking axles, blowing out differential gears, or the like because of the higher torque. Per Dynatrac, the 44 just won't handle high torque of a full sized truck :(( .

Good luck and welcome to the Zone
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' />

:)>-

G

I was actually tossing the idea of dana 70 front and rear is this not a good idea?

Seabronc

Reaction score
The Dana 60 front axles only came in 1- ton 4WD an on very few 3/4 -ton 4WD trucks from the late 60's to early 80's. That makes the3 front axles hard to find. So I'd say if you have a Dana 70 setup available, go for it.

Good luck,

:)>-

77F150

Reaction score
The M motors are really a good motor. I have rebuilt several of them and they are very easy to work on and you can get parts almost anywhere. On most of the ones I have done we have bumped them up to a 400M which is as easy and changing the crank and con rods. One we have in a 79' bronco is a real screamer and gives my dad's 74' high boy with 390 a run for it's money.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gryph